The urge for bigger guns, thanks Jim T

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

The urge for bigger guns, thanks Jim T

Post by mickbr »

to get a 44 mag lever again, and run 44 special through it, with 200 grain speer gold dot that expand as low as 900fps, and softcast bullets for medium stuff up close. Ive always gone back to 357 and have a lot of components set up for it. But there is a uberti 1873 44 mag for sale near me. The problem is I am a 1-2 gun guy and one is usually a rimfire, how do you justify it when you are a minimalist and closet survivalist?

1. Well at least my pistol powers are all compatible....
Last edited by mickbr on Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The urge for bigger, thanks Jim T

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I'm in Texas. I think that the .38/.357 levergun probably makes more sense for me as there really isn't anything in Texas that requires more than that. [If I was considering this from the perspective of a one-gun man].

My most used load is a 158 to 180 grain cast bullet over 5 grains of Unique in a .38 Special case. For all of my rough shooting, it seems to work out fine. Especially when that bullet is a 173 gr Keith. Armadillos, coyotes, all manner of critters have fallen to this load. It isn't a big game load, but it is well-behaved and it shoots well in just about any gun I have owned. I can shoot commercially cast 158 gr round nose flat points and I get no leading with this load.

I step it up to 14 gr of 2400 under the various Hornady XTPs (the regular hollow point or the heavier duty flat point) in a .357 case and that makes pretty good sized holes in everything.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

What do you hunt? I have some guns that are just too much for my hunting. Need is not the point. For everything I have hunted in the last 10 years, a .357 carbine would have done the job well.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

mickbr wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:35 am The problem is I am a 1-2 gun guy and one is usually a rimfire...
I'm no help at all, except maybe it's time to become more than a 1-2 gun guy?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

marlinman93 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:31 am
mickbr wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:35 am The problem is I am a 1-2 gun guy and one is usually a rimfire...
I'm no help at all, except maybe it's time to become more than a 1-2 gun guy?
If you come on a message board full of enablers you have to expect some encouragement.