Big Horn Armory Model 89 500 S&W Levergun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gregor
Levergunner

Big Horn Armory Model 89 500 S&W Levergun

Post by Gregor »

Kicking around ordering one. $600.00 non refundable deposit and 5-6 month build time. Hear of any issues with delivery or shipping? Customer service?

I have a 8 3/8" and 4" 500 S&W revolvers and the dies and bullet molds, so ammunition isn't a problem.

Opinions?
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Re: Big Horn Armory Model 89 500 S&W Levergun

Post by wvfarrier »

My 460 ended being closer to 8 months
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I got my 500 S&W 89 about 4 years ago I think now. Back then it was maybe 2-3 months, and there was a deposit of $600 then I think as well. Mine was in the mid-$2,000's and is "the most expensive firearm I own", (now if you count scopes as part of the cost, my ACOG-equipped AR beats it) but I am very glad I bought it; I find it extremely well-made and built, and the only 'complaint' I've gotten when I show it to others is they work the action and it is LIKE ALL LEVER ACTIONS, not as smooth as those great old vintage 45-70's of 100 years ago.....but I'm betting those guns felt just the same when they were new. Even though I've only put a few hundred rounds through it, the action has smoothed perceptibly. I think people just want something to criticize so they can rationalize NOT getting one.... :D

Mine is the shorter-barrel, longer-magazine version. I originally was regretting not having it factory tapped for a Williams or other aperture sight, but the one they have works just fine. The gun outshoots me, in terms of accuracy, whether using 'mild' or 'wild' loads. Recoil of the 500 S&W hottest loads in that rifle seems no different to me than firing a 20 gauge or 308.

I like the idea of a big-bore levergun DESIGNED around a modern, high-pressure, cartridge, versus taking a 130 year old action and assuming that it can handle an amped-up round. Looking at the internal dimensions of a Marlin 336 and seeing how it is 'adapted' to 45-70 just gave me the willies. I'm sure they work ok, and I've got a Guide Gun myself, but I feel much better shooting 'vintage' loads from the Marlin - besides, 'vintage' loads in 45-70 are STILL plenty of punch for darned near anything. So, in that sense, I didn't really 'need' the 500 S&W, but what's 'need' got to do with it.... :D (....besides....I think I saw some Cape Buffalo tracks back at the sandpit last summer.... :shock: :roll: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

I have no experience with them but consider them very impressive
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

They sure are pretty. I have been tempted, but I don't hunt with some of the guns I already have and I am thinking hard about paring down a bit more.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Mine would be in my “if only a dozen” bunch; leverguns in two chambering could do a lot:

BHA 89 500 S&W (same heft as a Guide Gun and deer on up)
and Marlin 1894 CL 32-20 (same heft as a 10/22 and coyotes on down).

Add a 44 Mag to fill in the middle, and a 22LR for stuff too small for a cat-sneeze 32-20 load, and you’d cover lots of territory.

Maybe toss in a 357 Mag just for fun, or instead of the 32-20.

That’s three to five. Add a similar panel of bolt-actions in the bottleneck rounds (375 Ruger, 308 Win, 223 Rem?), a few handguns or MSR’s in 9mm, 45 ACP 300 Blk, or 223, and you’re starting to be a candidate for one of Mel Tappan’s lists... :lol:
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Gregor
Levergunner

Post by Gregor »

Appreciate the responses. Going to kick it around some, but will probably go for it.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

You only live once....!

Gregor
Levergunner

Post by Gregor »

I remember Mel Tappan and his articles in Guns and Ammo as well as his books. Will get the 18" with a fiber optic front sight and scout scope mount.

My main concern was how well the straight walled cartridge fed in the action. Experience with the 92 action with .357 or .44 Mag has revealed feeding issues since it was designed around tapered cartridges, i.e. 44-40 or 38-40.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

All my sources tell me the action is really, really rough. Maybe there is a gunsmith out there somewhere who could slick them up some. Don't know who as of yet. Length of pull might also be on the long side for most. Frank is a big guy. Been wanting one in 460 S&W. No intentions of buying one, twist rates all wrong for what I want to do with heavy bullets in 452 bullet cartridges. They want to charge me so much more money for faster twist rate. Not interested at that price point. Get the twist rate right from the factory. Slick up the action some. NO reason for the action to be so rough at all. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel