Resisting temptation

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Resisting temptation

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Yesterday, I kept track of the events in Washington DC while I worked, and was sorely tempted to buy another black gun.

I went on Gunbroker and found what I wanted and was just about to pull the trigger and get out the credit card, when I suddenly felt so foolish.

I already have black guns, and I don't much care for them. Why buy another when I don't much shoot the ones that I own? I was acting out of a spirit of fear, and fear is something that we are continuously warned about in the Bible.

I am a work in progress and I have a long ways to go.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Resisting temptation

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Scott, your honesty is both refreshing and deeply appreciated. Thank you from another "work in progress."
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've got two black guns, and have no fondness for them either. One is an AR15 carbine in 5.56 and the other is a semiauto shotgun that is styled after AR15 guns, but functions differently. I bought the shotgun just late last year, simply because it was on sale and I had no defense shotgun at all.
I rarely shoot the AR15 carbine, and doubt I'll shoot the shotgun much. Since my interests are collecting and shooting pre WWI era rifles and handguns, I'd probably be embarrassed to be seen at the range with either of the black guns!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:34 amScott, your honesty is both refreshing and deeply appreciated. Thank you from another "work in progress."
+1
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Great insight!
Thank you.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I had my fill of EBRs in my 20 years of Army. Not combat arms, but we trained in our secondary mission as MPs quite often.
Right after EBRs were mostly unavailable, or going for double or triple what they were worth, right after Obama was elected I bought a Ruger Scout Rifle and a couple cases of 150gr FMJ, and maybe 20 boxes of 150gr soft points for hunting. No need for a scope. The ghost ring is perfectly fine if I need a weapon for social use. Although, of late, I find a Red Dot is pretty handy.
Even if I had an EBR, it's much more likely I'd reach for the 870 Tactical, and the Sig or LCP is alway on my person when I leave the house.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I have probably shot more deer with my Ruger Scout Rifle than any other rifle I own. I know that I have shot more hogs with it. It would be hard to choose between that Scout and my 94 Winchester if push came to shove.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Before yesterday's events I did check into prices on several Henry sidegate BBS 357 leverguns, and as expected - none in stock. They're made about an hour north of my farm.
Kinda wondering how the Ruger Marlins will be.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

My concern is can I use those arms I currently own effectively and will they serve their intended purpose?

I am not Carlos Hathcock, or even distantly related to him.

Remember the scene from "Unforgiven" where Clint Eastwood was trying to line up on a tin can with his old revolver, and then opted for a shotgun? That could be me.

Rather than turn my back to my imagined failings and the need to "be prepared, " I opted to expand my inventory.

My most recent Black Gun:
20210107_122803_33.jpg
A Kalashnikov USA KS-12T.

Semi-auto 12ga with a 10-round magazine. 18" Bore/Bore. Chokes available.

I've got a locker full of shotguns, several Remington 870s of which I dedicate to hog hunting, and another set aside for household use. But I've acquired a taste for "point and click."

Since all I use is 00 buckshot, I felt this would be a sound addition to the armory. I might test a few slugs.

:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

"....point and click...." :lol:

I like that.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

"Beware the man with one gun....for he likely knows how to use it very well..."

...but it IS nice to have a 'spare' or two or three...

One for each family member if they don't have their own,
One for any guests who might be present during bad times,
One bb-gun look-alike one to keep for thieves, and
One to turn in to 'authorities'.

Much as I like my various leverguns, bolt-actions, and so on, if I have to grab a 'point-and-click' interface for a generic but potentially serious threat, it will likely be an AR-15. If I grab one for a relaxing walk or to plink at the range with, or harvest a deer, or deal with a possum in the hen house, it probably will be a levergun of one sort or another.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

A .22 lr levergun is pretty useful for most things, and a .30-30 is perfectly fine for those things that a .22 lr cannot handle. However, if you scare me with a bump in the night, I will be grabbing for something that I still can use without thought and I have a flashlight on it. It is a bad idea to scare someone who was taught what the Infantry teaches.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

To me there is nothing like a good old Remington 870 for things that go bump in the night! I do have my old Sig P228 within arms reach also. The last time I heard a loud noise in the night I grabbed my Sig and headed down stairs. It sounded like someone trying to get in the window. I slowly moved the curtain while pointing my Sig in the direction of the noise. There was a 300 lbs. black bear trying to get at the bird feeder we have between the windows about 7 foot from the ground. He actually broke out the small piece of plexi glass on the feeder. Sometimes things like this happen when you live in Maine! I rather deal with bears than thug's any day!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

JOG wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:38 am To me there is nothing like a good old Remington 870 for things that go bump in the night! I do have my old Sig P228 within arms reach also. The last time I heard a loud noise in the night I grabbed my Sig and headed down stairs. It sounded like someone trying to get in the window. I slowly moved the curtain while pointing my Sig in the direction of the noise. There was a 300 lbs. black bear trying to get at the bird feeder we have between the windows about 7 foot from the ground. He actually broke out the small piece of plexi glass on the feeder. Sometimes things like this happen when you live in Maine! I rather deal with bears than thug's any day!
Yup. I live in Maine. Right in town as a matter of fact. Lost count of the moose, deer, turkeys, and coyotes I've had. Never a bear in town though.......yet.
I keep a Glock 21SF with a TLR-1 on the nightstand.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

"Beware the man with one gun....for he likely knows how to use it very well..."

Guess that makes some of us nothing to beware of! ;)
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

At present I have a single AR-15 in 6.5 Grendel and a singke AR-10 lower with uppers for 243 , 260 and 338 Federal . I fiddle with the AR-10 some but haven’t fired the Grendel AR in two years . I almost built/bought an AR-15 upper in 6mm ARC but eventually saw the error of my ways :lol:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

marlinman93 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:42 am"Beware the man with one gun....for he likely knows how to use it very well..."

I rather like over-confidence in others... means they'll under-estimate me!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

To quote dad “Every man should have one good rifle and know how to use it”.

My”good” rifle is black. But not an AR. I reserve the AR for paper targets. My “good” rifle is a SA ascout Squad. A better action in a much better caliber.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

jeepnik wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:59 pm To quote dad “Every man should have one good rifle and know how to use it”.

My”good” rifle is black. But not an AR. I reserve the AR for paper targets. My “good” rifle is a SA ascout Squad. A better action in a much better caliber.
I really like my SA Scout as well, great rifle. I bought several ARs while the prices were low and there was a surplus of the things out there. I've gone full Pirate mode with the panic buying and sold a few of them. I'll take that money and put it into something good, like another Winchester. Or Colt or a couple Ruger single actions that I seem to be obsessed with lately.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

2ndovc wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:00 pm I'll take that money and put it into something good, like another Winchester. Or Colt or a couple Ruger single actions that I seem to be obsessed with lately.

jb 8)
Great plan! I'm fixing to do exactly the same thing.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

I myself just traded a AR15 for a 2006 JM 1895 Marlin cowboy in 45-70Goverment. It has the octagonal barrel in 26 inch barrel length. I managed to find 3 boxes' of Bullseye 405 gr. lead flat point. I only put 20 rounds thru it so far. It's the first 45-70 I've ever had and I'm enjoying it very much. I don't think it was ever fired. It needs some breaking in, its a little stiff. I picked up some snap caps for it. It's probably 98% or better. Lately I'm really enjoying the old pre Remington Marlin. I will be changing out the ugly push button safety with the plug. I've always wanted a lever action with a long barrel, now I have one.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

You will definitely have more fun with the Marlin. And if push comes to shove, it will serve for almost all purposes.
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

My JM Marlin Cowboy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

marlinman93 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:42 am "Beware the man with one gun....for he likely knows how to use it very well..."

Ha! ROFLMAO!

My late father used to say that quote all the time......

And it never applied to HIM then or to me NOW -- well, until the boating accident, that is.................. :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The only thing close to that old saying is my love of hunting with a single shot rifle. Since I stopped hunting with my bolt action rifles over a decade ago, I've enjoyed my hunting far more than I had in many years. Now I have to get closer, and I have to make sure that one shot counts. Not that I wasn't careful before, and only took a 2nd shot on rare occasion. But I always knew I had another in the magazine.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I need to get my inline muzzleloader sighted in again. I know, 209 shotshell primer is heresy, but it is still a muzzleloader. Maybe next season I can get out in the woods.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost