'92 Marlin......?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

'92 Marlin......?

Post by .45colt »

Happy New Year Guys.!! Often times when looking at older Marlins in different websites I seen 92 Marlins in .32 rim or center fire ( 32 long or short). I guess they were sold with two firing pins. sometimes they have the center fire pin in them. Any body still shoot one ? I have seen some in very good shape and makes Me wonder . Thanks.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: '92 Marlin......?

Post by marlinman93 »

There were '91 and '92 Marlins sold with two firing pins to shoot .32 Long or Short RF or CF. Now the catch is this is NOT .32 S&W Long or Short. It's the old .32 Long-Short Ballard case. So you need to find either .32 Long Ballard, or .32 Long Colt cases. And they also use a heeled bullets, so you need to find heeled bullets (tough to find) or cast them from the correct heeled bullet mold.
All this said, if the bore is good they're wonderful shooting rifles, and very enjoyable to shoot. Seems like most wont have both firing pins ever. And if they have one it's almost always the RF pin for some reason. But Wisners Gun Parts sells CF and RF pins, so it's easy to get one.
Some people have had their chambers reamed to accept the .32 S&W Long, but I dislike the idea of ruining an original Marlin. I found original Ideal tools to cast my heeled bullets for .32 Long and .38 Long. You'll also need to find the correct dies, as they have to be for either .32 Long, or .32 Colt Long. Redding made the ones I used, but now it's C&H4D or RCBS as the only suppliers.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Thanks Marlinman , it probably explains why so many of these old rifles look so good. the ammo has most likely been gone for 50- 75 years. :) .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

.45colt wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:42 pm Thanks Marlinman , it probably explains why so many of these old rifles look so good. the ammo has most likely been gone for 50- 75 years. :) .
The first Marlin Model 92 in 32 cal that came my way came with a period correct box of rimfire ammo . Kinda wish I’d try to shoot a few .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

When I had 32 cal 92’s and 1892’s I was fortunate enough to find four boxes of new unfired 32 Long Colt REM/UMC brass 200 rounds . I also obtained dies from CH4D and a newly cut 90 grain heel mold from a guy in Brattleboro VT that had one of the original cherries and he cut the mold . Thing worked pretty well with 2 grains of Unique . Had it at John Kort shoot the only time I ever went and we were tinking the 200 meter chickens , not knocking them over but tinking them none the less . Seems to me those rounds were a bit less than 880 FPS .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

FWIW I wrote an article on a Marlin model 92 32 cal in the CBA periodical “The Fouling Shot” and another later about centerfire squirrel rifles in the same periodical that had some about the little Marlin 92 32 cal . I actually brained a couple squirrels with the little gun but all were inside thirty yards .
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Thanks 6pt. any information is Great. :D .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

.45colt wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:46 pm Thanks 6pt. any information is Great. :D .
Bear in mind the articles I wrote were over ten years ago .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Fordwannabe, a member here has one of these and he shoots it , send him a pm - he will share info I'm sure !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I would be happy to share what I know about the Marlin 92 but it ain’t much. Heeled bullets are available and a guy on GB roll sizes 32 SandW brass to the proper diameter. I have to trim the cases though to get them to cycle in my gun. Literally the as loading some of those tonight.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

It is sure good to know it can and is being done . I know a lot more today than when I first asked the question. Thank You All. :D .
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Last year I still had over 700 rds. of .32 Long ammo. Mostly CF, but also some old and newer RF ammo. Canadian Industries (Cannuck) ammo was still being made long after all US companies stopped making it.
I had sold my 1891 and 1892 Marlins in this caliber, and only had a couple Ballard #2 rifles in this caliber. The Ballard rifles used John Marlin's patented reversible firing pin you can flip upside down to convert back and forth. But I got talked out of my last two Ballard rifles in the .32 Long, so I sold all the ammo I had left.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

marlinman93 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:00 am Last year I still had over 700 rds. of .32 Long ammo. Mostly CF, but also some old and newer RF ammo. Canadian Industries (Cannuck) ammo was still being made long after all US companies stopped making it.
I had sold my 1891 and 1892 Marlins in this caliber, and only had a couple Ballard #2 rifles in this caliber. The Ballard rifles used John Marlin's patented reversible firing pin you can flip upside down to convert back and forth. But I got talked out of my last two Ballard rifles in the .32 Long, so I sold all the ammo I had left.
Did you have one or two of the Lyman heel molds ? Seems to me the 90 grainer I had was the middle weight ? I think they made another like 78-82 grains and a third close to 100 grains . Could be wrong and most likely am but that comes to mind for some reason .
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

6pt-sika wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:23 pm
marlinman93 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:00 am Last year I still had over 700 rds. of .32 Long ammo. Mostly CF, but also some old and newer RF ammo. Canadian Industries (Cannuck) ammo was still being made long after all US companies stopped making it.
Did you have one or two of the Lyman heel molds ? Seems to me the 90 grainer I had was the middle weight ? I think they made another like 78-82 grains and a third close to 100 grains . Could be wrong and most likely am but that comes to mind for some reason .
I still have two molds for the .32 heeled bullets, and two for the .38 heeled bullets. One each are old Ideal tong tools with the mold on them, and the other two are old NEI I bought from Walt when he had NEI here locally before his passing. I collect old loading tools, so the Ideals wont be sold. And being the other two are Walt's NEI molds I'll just keep them, even if I never use them again. I rarely sell molds or dies, just in case I get something I need them for.