Spending the afternoon with Jim’s old rifle.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Spending the afternoon with Jim’s old rifle.

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I spent the afternoon on the ranch with Jim’s old rifle. It was not a wasted day. I first saw Jim with this gun at the Shootists Holiday in Raton. It was so slick that I thought if you shook it just right it would load itself.

Jim sold a few guns and I suspect he gave away others before he and Twyla went to Africa. I missed out on this one, but I was too broke in those days to pay attention.

A few years later I heard that it was in Alaska with my friend Rob Leahy.

Some time later I was visiting Rob in Arizona and he showed me the rifle. I talked him out of it and strapped it to my motorcycle for the trip back to Texas.

I put somewhere between 300 and 400 rounds through it today. That curved butt plate finally made me quit. (Not a problem with.38s but .357 will get your attention!!!)
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Spending the afternoon with Jim’s old rifle.

Handy and useful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I was using up some old ammo to get the brass. Some of I I loaded years ago with a Lee Loader and a plastic hammer! I loaded some of this in 1975. It all shot just fine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

" I loaded years ago with a Lee Loader and a plastic hammer! I loaded some of this in 1975."
--Scott T

Now that brings back memories. I started reloading in '68 with a .38 Spec'l Colt Trooper, Lee Loader, and about 50 - 60 rounds of brass. Loaded low velocity lead wad cutters to get as many rounds as possible from a pound of powder. Was going to college then and often "brown bagged" lunch to save money for the components.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

AMMO THAT OLD IS NO GOOD! YOU SHOULD NOT SHOOT IT.
send it to me.
I will properly dispose of it!!

:lol:

:D

:lol:
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Neat. Hard to tell from the pic, but it looks a lot like the one I have.
Mine belonged to an old gunsmith friend of mine. It took me a while to con him out of it. So smooth it feels broken. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

The .357 Short Rifle We have must have been tricked out by someone who knew their stuff. a slick sweet shooter. I got it used for a song , it has a Lyman receiver sight on it . My Son in Law killed a ground hog with it a few years ago about fifty yards away. He wouldn't sell it for a grand.