!Rebarreled 1892

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
model55
Levergunner 3.0

!Rebarreled 1892

Post by model55 »

Haven't posted in a long time but still following and know that there might be some answers here with my 1892 carbine. I bought this 1892 as an antique however once I calmed down to take a better look it's a mix of parts. It's an early 92 ( 1900 or 1898 depending on who looks it up, 181xxx serial number ) that has a barrel from 1939 as a replacement . Barrel is marked with the caliber 38-40 WCF and the number 39 on the underside so I'm assuming 1939 is the year the barrel was made. This barrel has a front sight ramp ( or what's left of one ) and the rear sight is a ladder sight which is now missing the small set screw . I've never seen a 1892 with a front sight ramp and I'm guessing that the ladder sight was taken off an earlier barrel instead of finding a buckhorn sight. There are a few other parts I'm going to get to straighten it out but the sights have me baffled. I bought a front sight blade to adjust where it shoots but heavy hands was there first as well so shimming is in the works. The ramp has narrow grooves along the top on each side edge so I think that it might have even had been a hooded front sight. It would be nice to know the original front sight blade height and what rear sight was original. Just trying to get it going as a shooter, it has a nice bore. :x
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: !Rebarreled 1892

Post by gamekeeper »

That sounds like a very worthwhile project, please keep us informed.... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Your barrel is most assuredly a replacement. Sometimes these barrels were factory installed, in which case your carbine would have Winchester proof marks on the barrel. Your receiver is too early for the standard PW proof (this started around 1905).
If your carbine was originally such, it will have a saddle ring and a carbine stock if a standard carbine.
Carbine barrels were sometimes installed on rifles once rifle production ceased, but these will usually have no ring, a crescent butt, and a carbine forend that may not match the grain of the stock.
These pics show how a carbine front sight from the era of yours should look. There is a block that is part of the barrel with a slot and pin. They had a nickel silver insert that resembled brass.
My pictured example is a 38wcf from 1906. The block itself is approximately. 200 high. The blade measures .290 above the barrel for my particular example. It has the standard rear ladder sight.
I have seen these blocks made from scratch and silver soldered to the barrel with great success. You can make the blade from old master lock keys and they will look right.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Thank you guys , that front sight is what I would expect and prefer based on the age of the receiver and my intended use , as is I'd have to have the ramp machined off and then go the other route to get it right. Also I didn't include this in my first post but I suspect it was a rifle before the re-barrel because it has no saddle ring and a curved butt plate that is now very proud to the toe of the stock. Also appears to have an old re-blue. My magazine is also even with the end of the barrel shy of about an eight of an inch , not sure of where in should be and not too concerned about that part. The magazine plug is a short screw type even though the barrel has a hole that matches up so I may change that. Someone thought putting a big groove a cross the forearm was a good idea ( shooting out of a car windows ? ) so that may go too. Don't know if the ladder sight is correct to anything I'm thinking that they may have used both but not sure or the ladder sight might be from the earlier barrel.
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

The barrel does have a p over w circled mark so at least the barrel was factory installed.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Please post pictures of the barrel caliber and address markings of this barrel, pictures of the ramp from sight and location of the rear sight dovetail with a rule or caliper.A friend has been surveying some of these late featured 92 barrels .I'm also very interested in the specifics.
Thanks
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Winchester sometimes double proof marked barrels,usually they marked mail order barrels with a plain P in a circle above the W/P proof.

These late ramp front barrels are interesting ,the 94 went through same type changes.That where I'm interested in your barrel details .Trying to see if the same info is correct for both rifles.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

The ramp front barrels started showing up in late 30's on last production carbine and parts clean up Carbine.
The #44 ladder sight was found on some as well as the 22H rifle sight with 3C elevator.
Some late carbine even had short wood friends.
I have Winchester componant catalogs ,originals. You could get ramp front barrels even 1949 for the 92.
Latest barrel I've seen 1950 rifle barrel.