Drilling Refinish - Gunstock stain & Genuine Oil finish

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Drilling Refinish - Gunstock stain & Genuine Oil finish

Post by Old No7 »

I've posted about the no-name German Drilling I had acquired several times before, and here's an update on the refinishing work I've done to the stock. I got this Drilling at a very low price as the stock was split through the wrist extending to the comb. I had carefully pried it open slightly and used thin super glue to repair the split, securing it with the addition of two brass screws which were then filed off flush. Based on "no maker's marks" and the cocking pins, which needed some work to make them operate correctly, I'd always suspected this was an apprentice-built gun. Although I have no proof of that, I'm even more convinced after completing the refinishing work needed on the stock. The original checkering job was rather poor -- flat points near the ends of the "points" of the pattern, uneven spacing of the lines, and several lines which ran into each other in places,

When I recut the checkering, it was easy enough to sharpen up the flat points, and those came out well. The lines which co-joined were an issue; best I could do with my skills was to repoint the diamonds on the original lines -- errors and all. A more skilled checkering artist may have attempted to fix all co-mingled lines, but I didn't want to risk making it any worse. Overall, I am pleased with how the recut checking came out, as shown in the 2 images attached.

The point of this posting is to make the forum aware of 2 really nice products I used on this job. The first being the Cabot Satin in "Gunstock" color, which has a hint of the "Winchester Red" hue that my late father liked so much -- me too. It may not be original to German-made guns from the 1930s, but it is very pleasing to my eye. I had also carefully sanded very lightly where the split was and now it's all but invisible, except for a faint line 1/2" below the top of the nose of the comb.

The finish that I applied was the "Genuine Oil" by Birchwood Casey which is a lower-gloss satin version of their tried and true TruOIl finish. I hand-rubbed on 8 thin coats and it was starting to look a little glossy, so then I cut that back with synthetic 000 steel wool and then the last coat went on nice & smooth -- rubbed lightly until warmed by my hands, then carefully stroked with my fingers so as to leave a smooth even finish -- with the satin sheen I wanted. I'm really pleased with how that came out too.

Here she is now...

( Click any image to enlarge )
German Drilling (15) (Large).jpg
German Drilling (16) (Large).jpg
German Drilling (17) (Large).jpg

Next steps are to sight-in the 8mm Mauser barrel to the Hensoldt-Wetzlar scope at 75 yards (and check the impact at 100, 125 and 150 yards -- more than enough for the woods I hunt); then to adjust the Einstecklauf in 22 Mag to hit to the scope at 35 to 50 yards, for use on small game; and to confirm the 16ga shotgun hits to point of aim even when the 1.5-6X scope is mounted.

By next fall, she'll be all ready to take out into the Maine woods for deer -- and of course I can also take partridge, coyote/fox or rabbits/squirrels too when I see them. The pursuit of a St. Hubertus Award from the German Gun Collector's Association (big game taken with a German-made gun) will thus start in earnest next November.

Waidmannsheil.

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Drilling Refinish - Gunstock stain & Genuine Oil finish

Post by .45colt »

Well Done !! I like the color. You can be proud of the fix. :D .
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I too like the color, you put a lot of work into that drilling and it now looks 100% worth it, congratulations and good luck in November....
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

gamekeeper wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:43 am you put a lot of work into that drilling....
Amen to that John, but that was part of the attraction to me -- get a decent Drilling for a low price AND a home gunsmithing project at the same time. :wink:

Thanks for the comments guys.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Very nicely done refinish that retained the classic look.
Something I use at the end of gun stock finish is rottenstone powder. I dampen a rag with water and then pat it on the rottenstone powder poured on a paper plate. Rub the finish in circular pattern and then buff off the dust it can leave. Finish up with a paste wax buffed, and the result is stunning.
Most high end woodworking suppliers sell rottenstone powder for rubbing out wood finishes.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Rottenstone powder, that's something I have try. I really need to take more time with my stock finishing, patience has never been a virtue I have acquired.
Darryl you have shown patience aplenty on that Drilling, hats off to you.. 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I love this project!!! :D