Q: Win./Miroku 1895 Takedown in .30-06

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RedRockRanger
Levergunner

Q: Win./Miroku 1895 Takedown in .30-06

Post by RedRockRanger »

Hello levergunscommunity,

I’ve done years worth of browsing these forums so I figured it was about time I started contributing to discussions as a registered member. Thank you for having me!

I recently acquired a LNIB Win./Miroku Model 1895. This particular 1895 is a rare bird, being 1 of just 501 takedown models chambered in .30-06. It was sold to me in unfired condition with its original box and paperwork, just as it came from the Miroku factory in 2007, and aside from some very light handling marks it is in factory-mint condition... but it won’t stay this way forever. I live in the West and have intentions of carrying this rifle afield for many, many years to come.

With longevity in mind, I want to hear from the community about the strength of these modern Winchesters, specifically regarding heavier 180gr. or 200gr. factory .30-06 loads intended for big game. I understand that modern steels improve their strength but can the 1895’s base design safely handle loads that approach SAAMI max pressures? I suspect so, and purchased the rifle on this assumption, given that Miroku also chambered these in .270 Win. (whose SAAMI max exceeds that of the .30-06) for a brief period. I have reached out directly to Winchester about this matter and to the ammunition manufacturers about pressure data for a final word. While I wait to hear from them, though, I’d like to hear from those of you who are familiar with these rifles and/or loads.

Unfortunately, I do not have a picture of my rifle to share with you at the moment. Hopefully I can share it with the forum sometime in the future. Thank you all, and Happy New Year to you!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Q: Win./Miroku 1895 Takedown in .30-06

Post by crs »

Welcome and does your rifle look something like this?
Been shooting this 1895 TD .405 for a few years with no usage problems.
My impression is they work well if you treat them right- routine cleaning and lubing as needed and if needed.
A lot of firepower in a handy rifle.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

You shouldn't have any issues with factory ammunition and your new 1895. I keep my handloads well under max for my original '95 .30-'06s and have knocked off plenty of white tail with them.

Have fun with it.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
1Winchester1
Levergunner

Post by 1Winchester1 »

Ranger, I have the same Rifle possibly, Take down 3006 with Color Case. I have shot about 500 normal power loads without a hitch. I have hunted with this rifle several times and really enjoy it. I have the RCBS case gauge and the chamber is still extremely tight measuring my fired rounds as an indicator, so no head space issues.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Not sure how rare they are....I've had 2 of them.
Should have converted one to .35 Whelen but I absolutely hate the tang safety so I let them both go.

I doubt you will ever shoot enough to wear out one.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I don't think you can wear one out by shooting it.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

1Winchester1 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:06 am Ranger, I have the same Rifle possibly, Take down 3006 with Color Case. I have shot about 500 normal power loads without a hitch. I have hunted with this rifle several times and really enjoy it. I have the RCBS case gauge and the chamber is still extremely tight measuring my fired rounds as an indicator, so no head space issues.
I have this one too. Mine is still new and unfired. I do shoot a 30-06 carbine.