Help with .357 magnum bullets in a 35-30...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
reivertom
Levergunner

Help with .357 magnum bullets in a 35-30...

Post by reivertom »

Hello guys,
I just purchased a couple boxes of the now discontinued .180 grain Nosler Partitions in .357. I have a 35-30, which has a bit less room for powder than the .35 Rem. and I figured the Nosler would fit the bill for moderate speed deer loads that would open nicely and retain some weight. My rifle has a shortened barrel by 3 inches, not my doing, and has that speed deficit also. I rescued it from Bubba and had it re-bored due to a messed up bore. I figure that if I keep them at around 1700fps, I should be OK for the construction of that bullet seeing it's a partition. Do any of you know what a maximum speed for these would be in a rifle or have any experience with them? I can't seem to find much on them and Nosler doesn't list anything either. Thanks, Tom
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Help with .357 magnum bullets in a 35-30...

Post by GunnyMack »

Welcome.
If you keep your reloads to 357 mag levels the bullets will work as advertised- that velocity is what they are designed for.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

The .35-30 is one of our very oldest wildcats and a very capable cartridge. I had one. Why not contact Nosler to ask about the velocity envelope for this bullet? They can be very helpful.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I also have 35/30-30 in a Marlin. I have not used partitions though for it. I only hunted deer with it and my one experience with partitions and deer(30-06) ended with a wounded deer and the need for tracking and a follow up shot. I WAS NOT IMPRESSED. Could have been a one off experience or not. I do still use the partitions for Elk like ads in that 30-06. If ya wanna jaw 35/30-30 sometime pm me. I am Also Tom
The Hornady round nose do work.
AE899C2E-3E32-4355-B41B-7D3B4761F5E5.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I don't have any experience with the .35-30, but I have used Nosler Partitions on a few animals. My experience is that they do best when pushed fast. That is out of my .30-06 on deer, hogs, and Red Stag. Slower starting velocities did not give good accuracy for me.
I second the motion for you to contact Nosler about your caliber and best velocities. I last found some Speer Hot-Cor for my .35 Remington caliber Marlin. No chance yet to try it on any game, but they are accurate. Speer Hot-Cor are pretty accurate in all my leverguns. If Nosler Partitions are not exactly what you want, try Speer. Just my experience, but Speer Hot-Cor give good accuracy at more moderate velocity.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
reivertom
Levergunner

Post by reivertom »

Yippee! I just heard back from Nosler, and the guy said there was no speed restrictions on those Partitions. They hold together as fast as you push them. He was also amazed I found some for sale , because they are few and far between. I went back yesterday to the store and bought the rest of them, so I now have 3 boxes. With that response, I know I didn't waste my money. If I use Hornady 180 grain .357 magnum bullets to get my loads close, I can then switch and fine tune with the Noslers, and that way keep them for deer hunting. They should last me a while. Thanks for the responses.
reivertom
Levergunner

Post by reivertom »

fordwannabe wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:42 pm I also have 35/30-30 in a Marlin. I have not used partitions though for it. I only hunted deer with it and my one experience with partitions and deer(30-06) ended with a wounded deer and the need for tracking and a follow up shot. I WAS NOT IMPRESSED. Could have been a one off experience or not. I do still use the partitions for Elk like ads in that 30-06. If ya wanna jaw 35/30-30 sometime pm me. I am Also Tom
The Hornady round nose do work.AE899C2E-3E32-4355-B41B-7D3B4761F5E5.jpeg
I haven't shot any deer with mine yet, I let two decent young bucks walk on by this year....they needed to grow up a little. The partitions are HP, so they will be perfect for my little brush gun now that I know I can crank them to wherever I need them to be. I get really good accuracy out of the 200gr Hornady RN, but I heard the they don't expand well unless they are going over 2200fps. I also had a box of Sierra 200 rn that look similar to the old Rem Cor-lokt that are unavailabe these days. My short barrel concerns me in the speed category, so I though the partition would work for me as far as expansion and penetration goes. I have a whole year to mess with them. Later, Tom
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Tom, I figured the boys at Nosler would steer you straight. Great job, grabbing them for your stash!
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Great find. Been looking for some, but no luck. If not, I have some 180xtps I will use.
reivertom
Levergunner

Post by reivertom »

Thanks for the encouraging words. I rarely get good finds like this. I usually hear the dreaded .. "We had four boxes on the shelf for years until this morning, but right before you showed up, some fellow bought all of them..."