Engraved Colt Navy.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Engraved Colt Navy.

Post by gamekeeper »

My local dealer gets all sorts of firearms handed in by the public who no longer want them :shock: among others one was a Colt 1851 Navy, it has cracked and shrunken ivory grips and what looks like factory engraving. The gun has not had a happy life despite being a bit special. Apparently it's former owner bought it cheap off a market stall.
I saw it about an hour after he got it and I recognized the engraving to be by Gustave Young by the hounds head engraved near the wedge. I'm pretty sure it is the real deal but he is asking for offers over £20,000.
IMG_1974-scaled.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Engraved Colt Navy.

Post by gamekeeper »

IMG_1920-scaled-e1606057830173.jpg
Close up of hounds head.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I WANT IT! You gonna shoot for him and make sure it is safe?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

3leggedturtle wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:32 pm I WANT IT! You gonna shoot for him and make sure it is safe?
If he ever loads it up he will ask me to shoot it, I had to test fire a couple of small canons he bought... :lol:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

That is a beauty for sure..........the old cap and ball Colts reek with history..... Of course "provenance" sells so if that gun has it will determine the value.......I forgot how many of those I could have had including cased sets, engraved and presented to officers during the CW.....the only thing separating me and those old Colts was the green....

Amazing for a gun to be 161 years old and still be looking good........

I'd love to see what a factory letter says on that....a small investment in a piece of paper can double, triple, who knows the value....engraved guns usually went to important people or people of "fame"...

John.....will you please buy that and let me know so I can ask you, "can I have it". Don't worry about the letter. I want it to be a surprise as it probably went to one of those big shots in India who ride on the backs of elephants.

As I told you before, I have a million books on the old Colts so let me know what you need...----6.....o..........da.......bro.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Thanks again Six... :)
I'm not sure Colt archive records go back to 1859 when it was made, wasn't there a fire during the Civil War ?
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yes....big fire....it was after Sam Colt died.......but I've held a lot of factory letters that were from 1860 army's and 1851's.......not sure on the specifics......might be on their website....I'm not up on the procedure as my buddy always handled that stuff.....he had "direct access" to the records....one phone call and they would tell him if a particular gun had the documentation and the letter would arrive a week later.....

There is a chance that Colt your looking at is a London Colt......

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

That is a lovely navy. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I bought an Army at a little show in Tulsa last Sunday. Dated to 1862 and quite shootable. And I will shoot it.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The engraving is quite nice. Rreally makes it look good.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

What a wonderful old Colt.