shoulder replacement

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

shoulder replacement

Post by JNG »

Did any of you'all have a replaesment?
Looks like I'm may get one.
How did it go?

Joe
piller
Posting leader...

Re: shoulder replacement

Post by piller »

Not me, but I have known several who had it. Do the Physical Therapy after the surgery and it should be good. You will never be back to 25 years old, so don't try to go beyond what the PT people tell you until healing is complete.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

My mother, 89, has had both shoulders replaced within the past 14 months. She did fine.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

A buddy of mine has had both rotator cuffs done, one of them twice! That shoulder isn't great but the other is good. He had to stop shooting a bow because he can't draw 45 lbs with the twice operated on right.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

I looked into it, my right shoulder is a mess, The Doc said, no lifting more then 25 lbs even AFTER your healed , 15# if a reverse replacement, and absolutely no recoil from firearms, ever... :roll:

You won't get much mobility back, but it won't hurt anymore.

I said thank you...I'll wait for it to fall off on its own..
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

I didnt know they did shoulder replacements , that is replacing both the ball and socket? I'd like to hear how a shoulder got that bad.

I had shoulder surgery 2 months ago .The surgeon had to reattach 3 tendons that had torn away from the bone and a 4th tendon was cut and screwed down to another location to help hold the ball in the socket.. That work all by itself was no walk in the park - I'd expect an extended period of recovery for a complete replacement..... I didnt go to PT nor did I wear the arm sling for the full 6 weeks after surgery as I was told. At 8 weeks now I am already nearly 100% although doctor said it would be a year before 100% recovery and I wont lift anything heavy for a long while yet.....Tell you the truth, I wont go to physical therapy 'cause I am skeered of catching covid.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

gcs wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:14 am The Doc said, no lifting more then 25 lbs even AFTER your healed , 15# if a reverse replacement, and absolutely no recoil from firearms, ever... :roll:

I said thank you...I'll wait for it to fall off on its own..
Ha! I like that! Me too, especially with the firearms.....what are we supposed to do with our lives after a surgery...sit in a chair watching TV, twideling our fingers? F all that S....

It's ALL a money making machine and with the exception of hard cases, you will do better just being you. I found out about the majority of doctors in the last several years....money comes before you...
Model A Uzi’s
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

gcs, you got some bad info -- you need to talk to a surgeon who is beyond the "practice" phase and has done enough of these shoulder replacements to know what he is doing. I waited way too long to get mine done -- I was to the point where I couldn't lift my right arm enough to get the car key into the ignition and was reaching through with my left arm just to get the car key in. I hadn't been able to shoot a pistol right handed for at least 10 years because I couldn't lift the gun up enough to take care of a target higher than maybe a rattlesnake. Finally broke down and went to the doc when the dang thing hurt constantly enough to make it hard to sleep.

Because I'd waited until muscles deteriorated too bad to be eligible for the straight-forward replacement I had to do the "reverse" thing which reverses the ball and the socket. Fortunately there is one fellow in this area who does a big percentage of all the shoulder replacements and has this figured out long ago. When I came out of the anesthesia I felt immediate relief -- the throbbing pain that had been keeping me awake was gone and has stayed gone for the 6 years since the surgery.

The "reverse" replacement is not as strong and flexible as the "straight" replacement but has the nice advantage of not requiring PT to get your motion. Instead you keep the shoulder immobile for 6 weeks (as best you can, and I tried real hard to comply). Once turned loose I had immediate mobility though I was not supposed to lift anything heavier than a milk jug for some time afterward. I don't remember how long it was before being told I was "good to go" but it was at least 6 months I believe. Then I was not supposed to lift more than 50 pounds with it (which is a pretty fair load for an olde phart anyway). The doc said I should avoid stuff such as splitting wood that made hard impacts but he didn't think shooting would be a problem. So just out of general principles I try to avoid guns that kick real hard but I am definitely shooting quite a bit, even taking up the BPCR game this past couple of years.

Anybody needing serious shoulder help should go ahead and get it so you can get on with life. But choose your surgeon carefully: I have never heard of a bad result from anybody who got sliced on by Dr. Jabosen but I know some folks who used other docs who didn't come out nearly as well.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

earl, you're probably right, I got a bad vibe from the surgeon from the get go, his main excuse was if you screw up the replacement, fixing it again wasn't going to give a good outcome, I felt he was being overly cautious...anyway I ended up getting my hips replaced, and the knees need being done, the gel shots did nothing. .Arthritis has most of the joints bone on bone,

As long as I can still wipe my butt I'm leaving the shoulder alone, lol
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JNG »

Well, I just came bake from the Doc's I will get a reverse should replacement. Said, I should not shoot large kicking guns.
So my boys are getting all that kick, though I am ever keeping my sharps 45-70. I am going to use it this year, as Ohio has a 2nd gun season in Dec 19,20.
If my shoulder is trash (Doc said) what is the worst can happen, trash is trash.

Good all Joe
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I think you'll be happy you did this JNG. And be sure to keep the new shoulder immobile as best you can for the 6 weeks. My Aunt Frankie had hers done not long after mine. Her doc didn't tell her to keep the shoulder immobile, and she was using it fairly soon. It took some years for her shoulder to be good. So not all those slicer/dicers know what they are doing, and especially what you need to do or not do after the surgery.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
DadsMod12
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DadsMod12 »

You might want to consider JIS in New Albany. All they do is joint replacements. I had my knee done there.

Dan
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I had a rt shoulder replacement in 2013. Only regret was not doing it earlier. I was in constant pain. After the replacement and rehab I'm 100% pain free. Only difference is range of motiin reaching behind. I was shooting and hunting 5 mo later. I used a 30-30 that fall. As far as shooting, I got rid of my 7mm rem mag and hunt pretty much with a 30-06 which is no problem. 12 Ga and 45-70 with a good recoil pad doesn't bother me.
I may need another one someday because I got it at 52 but for now its great. Just DO the physical rehab.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I did say I was shooting quite a lot following shoulder surgery but forgot to mention that I cheat quite a bit. I don't shoot the BPCR rifle, the trapdoor Springfield or the Rossi 454 (and several others if shooting off a rest) without one of these -- called a "PQ Shooter's Friend" that I get from Buffalo Arms. I also try to keep the butt inside the shoulder and more against the breast than I normally used to do. One problem with the "Shooter's Friend" is that it only comes in one size and that is at best a "medium". And it might be a bit on the ugly side, but it is a slip on!
rol924.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JNG »

Well ,will be done on 1-20-21. let you know how it goes.
Joe