Sunday morning......

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Sunday morning......

Post by Ray »

Duty Section on a U.S. Navy in-port warship is supposed to be like a holiday schedule. Yes, there is reveille topside on the base p.a. to raise and salute "colors" but it is muted to half of its weekday volume. Likewise the ship's reveille on the 1M.C. recited by whoever is the 0400-0800 petty officer of the watch on the quarterdeck is done in a whisper without the normal shrill bosun's whistle.

There are no divisional or work center musters to quarters. Breakfast is 0630-0730 for the watch standers but it is extended into a brunch of sorts for those who are able to oversleep. The duty section security alert team have to meet on the flight deck in fair weather or the mess decks after the chowline rush has abated somewhat to discuss any possible threats. The damage control team musters in the HT/DC shop or in front of one of the repair lockers but no firefighting or flooding drill is expected on Sunday.

Yes, it sucks to be stuck on-board but stand your four hour watch and at least make a pretense of squaring away your assigned spaces when "sweepers" sound on the 1M.C. and insure "william" to "yoke" and "yoke" to "william" material condition of readiness is set as ordered and it is far from onerous.....Feature films, past and current are streamed onto screens on the mess decks for your viewing pleasure.....

A young deckape or snipe or mess cranker can almost feel like a normal human being on a duty section holiday schedule. The last thing you expect are for torpedoes and or bombs to strike and explode in peacetime......

The ship lurches, shudders and lists. Everything goes dark with a few battle lanterns automatically activating, giving scant auxiliary lumination. Blue/black acrid smoke chases you prone to the deck in search of breathable air. Spacial orientation is difficult. You could be walking on a bulkhead instead of a deck. Hung-over or deep-sleeping shipmates drown in their racks. Engineering space watch standers are scalded by invisible jets of steam or incinerated by flamethrowers of atomized boiler fuel. Duty section leaders and damage control party on-scene leaders order hatches secured to stanch rising water or smother conflagrations, deaf to the cries of their doomed shipmates thus trapped. Up foreward and top-side, in the vicinity of gun mounts and magazines, shipmates are ripped to gore from explosions.....

07 Dec. 1941

NEVER FORGET !
m.A.g.a. !
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Sunday morning......

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Been thinking about this date for awhile. Todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Remembering ... those lost .. and how the American people came together to face what was happening.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Too many are forgetting this.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

https://youtu.be/tOXW0EqYSQc

Tora! Tora! Tora!

I remember watching this old movie when I was a kid. I was practically raised by WW2 veterans.

I hope I can measure up in their eyes and they would be proud of me one day.
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If it happened today, Trump would somehow be blamed, and the Democrats would raise taxes, ban guns, and surrender.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are