Had to 5150 a kid today...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Had to 5150 a kid today...

Post by CowboyTutt »

...for suicidal indeation. While I am not currently his school psychologist as he had moved onto middle school and the Psych assigned to that school, I have a history with him going back 3 years. Previously he used to call me by a "nickname" for one of his video game characters which always made me laugh and others too. While he is not at my elementary school anymore, my Director called me in as she knew I have a history with him and his other psych was not available and for very good reason. I am assigned to my entire school district and not one or two schools but where I am needed, so none of this is abnormal. I went out to meet him. Local middle school staff had done a very exceptional job of dealing with him. I went in and interviewed him for 10-15 minutes in the presence of one other school staff member. I came out after 15 minutes of interview in the presence of a fellow staff member, and recommended he be taken to the local hospital for an evaluation. I was worried he would not come along but we created a pretense that he would come along for a doctor visit. He did so, and everything went smoothly after that.

Its funny, most people tell me they don't envy me my job, and they feel sorry for me, but I have the best job in the world, and its really a privilege to help kids, parents and family's. Maybe why Doc AJMD429 and I are the same, even if we have not had much time to talk much yet over the years.

God Bless you Doc, for what you do. I'm confident I'm doing the right thing, and yes, as strange as it may sound, I"m working "for fudge" because my organizational skills are poor, but my diagnostic and counseling skills are exceptional. I guess none of us are perfect. Maple fudge with nuts, that's my goal. LOL -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Had to 5150 a kid today...

Post by Sixgun »

You did good Tutt......I have often thought that if I was a kid today how hard it would be due to the drastic changes that have taken place.....my wife and I talk all the time and say to each other, "we would have been locked up just for the way we thought", let alone the stuff we did.

I truly feel for those kids as no one was cut out for the massive amount of political correctness, zero tolerance, and behavior that is demanded from them and with everything being on computers, it's that much harder....we had books and paper and with those you don't need to be as technical........when your young you really don't understand the consequences of your actions or your words......with us it was a crack with the belt and life returned to normal.......now parents are having to go to court and the kid kicked out of school.

Academics was always easy for me, it was the discipline part I always fought...I don't like rules, but you knew that.......so a kid like that today would have his hands full with a stain on his record to fight as he/she got older.,

Hope it works out for the lad as he has a long road ahead of him and hopefully you can help.----6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

My opinion but I think we are really going to see more and more kids develop problems like this. The way society is heading these kids no longer go outside, play like kids should. They spend all their time playing games on computers. And now this lab grown virus is keeping them even more sequestered. It's not healthy if you ask me! Then throw in all the medications for ADHD among other pharmaceuticals...

Glad your stepping in went well & keep up the good work!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Steve, nothing to worry about here. His Mother was outside the classroom and had already talked to him. He was talking to a para-professional assigned to the classroom inside who was doing a good job of keeping him calm as possible and safe. I have known him for 3 years. I went in and at that point it was myself, the para-professional and him. I talked to him for about 15 minutes and decided he needed to go to the hospital. I went back out, talked to his Mom and admin about what I thought and why and that I had laid the groundwork with him that he could go see a doctor to see if he was OK and then come back to school later. He went with his Mom willingly and I met them at the hospital emergency room. I started the intake procedure with staff there, and they took him to a room in back with his Mom. The crisis team arrived in 30 minutes. They created a safety plan and sent him home with Mom. He will have a follow up visit on Monday that will probably lead to counseling and further evaluation. It's rare they keep anyone for a 72 hour hold, virtually everytime they just send you home. The only time we call the police to make the judgement call is when we can't reach the parent and the situation is desperate. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

I'm going to mention something to all you guys...A marrige license is a THREE party contract, between the Husband, Wife and the STATE! Therefore the STATE has an interest in whatever results from that marrige, INCLUDING CHILDREN! So the bottom line is the STATE can tell the parents how to raise they're children!!! :o :shock: :roll:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Some days Cowboy Tutt and I probably feel just like Harry Callahan in the first Dirty Harry movie when he goes up the ladder to talk the guy off the ledge.

We mostly do help people, but it isn’t always pleasant. Once you feel whatever the ‘calling’ is, it would be hard NOT to do it though.

Sixgun is right about things; I’m no Elmer Keith or Charles Askins (two of the best autobiographies I’ve ever read), but I was close enough in terms of rule-breaking that in today’s intolerant environment I’d have been derailed from the ‘academic’ track and stuck on the ‘delinquent’ one. And as smart as I am I’d probably have been pretty good at it, too. Doubt I’d have positively influenced many lives as a bank robber, but that’s what they might have created if I were to try to grow up in today’s stifling educational ‘system’.

The amazing thing is that I do still meet a lot of young people who are libertarian or conservative, and understand things like the US Constitution. They aren’t even all homeschooled either, so somehow it must still be possible to go through the ‘system’ and wind up with some sense...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Steve
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

COSteve I am surprised that you didn’t have to go into some witness-protection program after that...!

I’m betting those administrators probably paid some of your classmates handsomely to spy on you and the first little thing you did wrong they would have brought the hammer down.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Steve
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

1894cfan wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:39 pm I'm going to mention something to all you guys...A marrige license is a THREE party contract, between the Husband, Wife and the STATE! Therefore the STATE has an interest in whatever results from that marrige, INCLUDING CHILDREN! So the bottom line is the STATE can tell the parents how to raise they're children!!! :o :shock: :roll:
People have been having and raising kids since long before the STATE was created. Certainly long before a person had to get a license. Moreover, in some communities, many more children are born out of wedlock than to those who are married.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:43 pm
1894cfan wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:39 pm I'm going to mention something to all you guys...A marriage license is a THREE party contract, between the Husband, Wife and the STATE! Therefore the STATE has an interest in whatever results from that marriage, INCLUDING CHILDREN! So the bottom line is the STATE can tell the parents how to raise they're children!!! :o :shock: :roll:
People have been having and raising kids since long before the STATE was created. Certainly long before a person had to get a license. Moreover, in some communities, many more children are born out of wedlock than to those who are married.
The marriage license actually started back before the Civil(?) War started when a white plantation owner wanted to marry his Black slave, so had to get permission (license) to do so. Between WHITE couples a COMMON LAW marriage was the norm, and still is for those who know about it, Lee Marvin was a good example of that.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I hope he comes out of it without lasting issues.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

1894cfan wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:39 pm I'm going to mention something to all you guys...A marrige license is a THREE party contract, between the Husband, Wife and the STATE! Therefore the STATE has an interest in whatever results from that marrige, INCLUDING CHILDREN! So the bottom line is the STATE can tell the parents how to raise they're children!!! :o :shock: :roll:
My marriage contract is a three party covenant between me, my wife, and the Lord Jesus Christ. It's called Holy Matrimony, and the Holy Spirit runs our home. Not the state. Our citizenship is in Heaven.
Last edited by Grizz on Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Grizz wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:20 pm
1894cfan wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:39 pmI'm going to mention something to all you guys...A marrige license is a THREE party contract, between the Husband, Wife and the STATE! Therefore the STATE has an interest in whatever results from that marrige, INCLUDING CHILDREN! So the bottom line is the STATE can tell the parents how to raise they're children!!! :o :shock: :roll:
My marriage contract is a three party contract between me, my wife, and the Lord Jesus Christ. It's called Holy Matrimony, and the Holy Spirit runs our home. Not the state. Our citizenship is in Heaven.
Aye, mine too... Tho' the "license" issued by the county is simply an acknowledgement that we meet the requirements to legally marry. Nothing more.

During the summer before my son's 1st grade introduction to public school... we spend several days at the local gun club, where I was teaching him gun safety and how to shoot, both rifles and pistols. On the 1st day of school, when asked "what did you do over the summer", my son proudly proclaimed he learned how to shoot. Whereupon the teacher took it upon herself to tell him his father had no business teaching someone so young how to shoot or even let him handle a firearm. She criticized me for owning guns, and him for sharing the same. My son might have over-reacted a bit... as he yelled at the teacher as she had no basis to criticize his dad... and promptly kicked her in the shin when she grabbed him and tried to forcibly eject him from the class-room.

My wife was traveling for work, so they had to call me... on duty, but in plain clothes. I arrived in my own vehicle, and as I exited my vehicle another teacher saw my firearm before I put on my sports coat... The police were called... No one interfered as I entered the offices, and introduced myself to the vice Principal, including my job. He then explained my son's "infractions" and that he was expelling my son for the rest of the year." A city cop showed up and when I exited the vice Principal's office started to draw his weapon and go thru the whole "felony-stop" process. Well, until I opened my coat, showed him my badge, and then my id.

I then told the vice Principal that I wished to speak with the Principal. Who, when I explained what had transpired over the summer, and that since I was a "Peace Officer" and a competitive shooter, guns were a common thing in my home, and gun safety was an important part of my son's learning responsibility. When not worn, they were kept in a safe and access was strictly controlled and under appropriate supervision. And, IMO the teacher was out of line criticizing someone she'd never met with opinions and simply her "feelings", overstepped her duties as an instructor to lecture a 6 year old on a societal issue, instead of sticking to "readin', writin' & 'rithmatic"! I told the Principal that I demanded an apology from the teacher for the aspersions she cast on my character, an apology to my son for her mishandling of what should have been a non-incident. And quickly got blown way out of proportion. Also, I informed the Principal that my son would apologize to the teacher for his physical assault. I then lectured my son on the spot about his inappropriate reaction to the teacher's lecture and actions. Told him he was grounded for the rest of the week... and that on Saturday we'd go back to the range! The city cop laughed and asked if he & his son could join us! The Principal called the teacher to the office and told her that on pain of her job she needed to apologize. She reluctantly did so... whereupon I informed her that she should stick to the 3Rs, and as the parent I would handle the societal teaching needed in my son's upbringing. My son apologized for disrupting her class, and the Principal told me that my son was suspended for the balance of the day... (afternoon)! (We'd been threatened with a permanent expulsion). The Principal was very cooperative; the vice Principal, not so much, as he also got lectured. Since he'd never bothered to ask my son for his side of the story... and tried to refuse me the opportunity to get it before expelling my son, which is why I demanded to see the Principal.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Some really good stories here, thank you guys so much for posting about what it was like for you growing up in America. Son of military Navy man here as well. He was not into firearms after he left the military, but he would not object to my interest later at all.

I really appreciate your posts Gentleman, and please, don't feel shy about posting. It's wonderful reading. Thank you.

-Tutt

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I graduated in 1983. During Pheasant Season it was common to see shotguns in the vehicles in the school parking lot. Some of the Teachers had their shotguns, too. We never had any incident. Fistfights happened a few times. I do not remember any threats of suicide, although one Principle committed suicide due to a chemical imbalance. One High School Counsellor died from liver failure due to alcoholism.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost