Fire Starter

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Fire Starter

Post by earlmck »

Friend Butch has a back pasture which used to be solid with pine trees -- both ponderosa and lodgepole. The pine beetle works these hard and over the years has killed many of his trees. I went over yesterday to help cut a few of the dead ones out of his pasture -- three lodgepole pines made barely a quarter of a cord of firewood but the nice thing about lodgepoles is that although the volume per tree is low they don't take long to cut and you get a bunch of rounds which fit in the stove without need of splitting.
LPineRounds0043.jpg
Another nice thing about these bug-killed trees is the pine pitch the tree produces as it tries to eject the beetle -- my favorite fire starter. A little piece of pitch the size of a fingernail burns hot and long and will get a fire going without a lot of attention to laying down kindling wood. I may not have got a lot of wood but I got at least two years worth of fire-starting pitch. And with my wood stove I make lots of fire starts in a year, especially in the milder part of the fall and spring when you only want a fire for a little while in the morning.
PinePitch0045.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Fire Starter

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Making me homesick for Oregon, Earl. Nothing like the smell of a stack of fresh-cut lodgepole firewood -- and that pitch has a perfume all its own.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Earl, Pine Pitch, Fatwood and Birch Bark are my main ways if starting fire. Need to try the Siberian Log fire one of these days. I miss having a good old wood stove. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Boy Earl that pitch would be better than gold when You need a fire. Thanks for the pictures. :D .
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

As a young man I toured the USA via motorcycle a few times, and always carried a 35mm film canister full of fresh pitch. It would start good campfires with fairly wet wood. Also had half a dozen fatwood sticks as well, sure nice when a cold fellow wants a fire right now.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

My fire starter is pine cones. I have 6 gunny sacks full in the barn to get me through the winter. I keep an old coal bucket full of them by the wood stove.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have some paper egg cartons with dryer lint and wax from a wax melt room air freshener. Those take up a little more room, but they work.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost