1874 45-70

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shasta_steve
Levergunner 1.0

1874 45-70

Post by shasta_steve »

Took my Uberti (Pedersoli made) 1874 out to the range the other day and was very happy with how it shot. Found some smokeless "trapdoor" loads laying around and managed to get 5 in a little over 2" with the ladder sight at 100 yards. Probably shooting over my ability. Decided I would put a tang sight on it. Found a really good deal on a Goodwin style tang sight and a globe front sight. Both were Pedersoli. I have not had a chance to take it out and shoot but am looking forward to it. My plan is to mainly shoot black powder out of it.

The gun is not set up the way I would of ordered it but it is starting to grow on me. It has a 30" round barrel and I would prefer a 32 or 34" octagon. It also has the military style buttstock. It definitely lets you know it is there with full power loads but don't think it will be bad at all shooting black powder. Lastly it is a little on the light side for 1874. Comes in at a little less than 10lbs .

Things I really like about the gun are first off I am grateful for being given it. Also for a hunting rifle it has great balance and is light enough you can actually pack it. Triggers are great. Seems to be plenty accurate but will have to shoot it more. Super fun to shoot. If I ever get serious with black powder cartridge I will probably get something a little more purpose made but for what I plan to do now I really love the rifle.
sharps.jpg
sharps sights.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Re: 1874 45-70

Post by wvfarrier »

I was just looking at one of those rifles. Man they are nice.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Very Nice! :mrgreen: .
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Steve,
I don't know how old you are but I've been a lifelong (66) open sight shooter. The last 5 years or so I've been scoping a lot of my antiques....it's easy with the new mounts that are now on the market so you don't have to d&t and destroy the value....

So my point is that if you like to have fun and want to upgrade to "super fun" put a long MVA or similar scope on it. The bullets are so slow you can pull the trigger and wait a second to see the stell plate or whatever your shooting at get hit. -----6
Model A Uzi’s
shasta_steve
Levergunner 1.0

Post by shasta_steve »

Sixgun wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:36 pm Steve,
I don't know how old you are but I've been a lifelong (66) open sight shooter. The last 5 years or so I've been scoping a lot of my antiques....it's easy with the new mounts that are now on the market so you don't have to d&t and destroy the value....

So my point is that if you like to have fun and want to upgrade to "super fun" put a long MVA or similar scope on it. The bullets are so slow you can pull the trigger and wait a second to see the stell plate or whatever your shooting at get hit. -----6
Well I am 53 and my arms are getting a little too short but I am usually too proud to wear my reading glasses. I agree one of those period correct scopes would be a blast. I might upgrade or at least give myself a reason to buy another rifle. A guy had one at the range the other day and looked like lots of fun. I grew up hunting and shooting all the time but have to admit the last 15 years or so ago I have been doing very little of it. Pretty excited to get back into it. Just hard living in the Central Valley of California. Such a pain to shoot around here. I grew up in the hills and could be shooting from anywhere around home in 10 minutes or less.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Nice looking rifle. For target fun, or for game animals in North America, the Trapdoor level .45-70 is still plenty powerful and not punishing to the shooter. Hope you get to spendctime with that rifle as often as you would like.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost