Was censored on FB yesterday

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Was censored on FB yesterday

Post by CowboyTutt »

I usually avoid social media and FB is the only one I have. I go months without checking it as the research I have read all indicates it leads to bullying, depression, and in some cases even suicide, particularly in my high school students that I counsel. Lately, it did come in handy as my adopted family had a terrible loss and the only way they could find me was through FB. So now i am back in touch with my extended family and have all their contact information. Well, apparently they are not as conservative as I but we are still family and love each other a lot. But one of their friends was a typical condescending liberal who thinks he is smarter than everyone. You know the type, all Trump voters are stupid, what is my educational level (Masters School Psych), blah blah. I told him how there are those even trying to ban Dr. Suess books anymore, and he asked me for proof so I sent him a history of the man himself, which wasn't always flattering but it was fair and honest portrayal of the man. That got through OK. Then yesterday i was digging up some research on masks which led me to an article at the CDC website about which ones are effective and which ones are not. i attempted to post a link to it, and given that information, how a national mask mandate would essentially be ineffective if not plain unconstitutional. Post was immediately blocked. I'll be deleting my account permanently today although it takes a few days to occur. Just wanted to report that the censorship is real. :evil: -Tutt
Last edited by CowboyTutt on Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Was censored on FB yesterday

Post by BenT »

Too bad Trump isn't going to continue being President because Face Book needs to loose it's protections from law suits. I have never used it, I am a anti social network person. Give me my guns, chainsaw and the good old outdoors and I am Happy. :D
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Agree with you guys, which is why I use it so little. It did in some cases allow me to keep track of a couple of students who graduated or during the pandemic and school closure but not really needed now. I can reach them through other students. Still shocks me it happened though. Even the CDC says most masks being used do not help, and any law would most likely not specify what type you have to use, so it becomes meaningless. But as my friend put it with a sense of humor "Zeese iz not ze partee line!!!" :shock: -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

FraudBook has never been my favorite place. I only check in anymore to catch up with some people I cannot reach otherwise. I got on there twice in the last 3 months.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yea Tutt...Big Brother be here.....oh! BTW, isn't Leverguns "social networking?". It's no different than Facebook except we are gun oriented. I've only met a half dozen guys here but it seems I know what most of you do , you family, etc. :D

Anyway, nada on Facebook....my wife lives on it which I don't mind because it's that much less focus on me.

She had two posts deleted last week due to Trump related truths and the second one put her in Facebook Jail for 24 hours.

Everyone said "get a smart TV" last year when I was in the market for one......this happened several times that I noticed.......sitting on the couch on my IPad ......TV was OFF.....me and mom were talking this and that.....guess what ad popped up on my iPad?

It's all here, get used to it.....just keep a gun handy and give in to NO NEW GUN LAWS or just don't comply. I don't plan on it.----006
Model A Uzi’s
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I won’t put any ‘smart’ device in my house; even the idea that a phone is always listening in case you say a word that could trigger directed-advertising is enough to annoy me, much less the more nefarious things that could be done.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Fakebook has gotten absolutely crazy with their censorship. So much so that my cousin said she posted a simple post that said, "Goodbye Google, hello Duck-Duck Go." inferring she was no longer going to use Google as her search engine. It got censored by Fakebook!
Reason given was "false information". Now where in any world is this false information?
Fakebook as become a bunch of censorship Nazis!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

This thread made me think of the definition of censorship:

"censorship: the tool utilized when the lie looses its power."
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I got censored by FB for a pro Trump remark a week ago... Guess it's time for adiós FB.....
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Never used any of that BS, never will. Most people seem to go on FB to impress other people. I DON’T GIVE A RATS REAR END WHAT MOST PEOPLE THINK. Never have, never will.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

fordwannabe wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:53 pm Never used any of that BS, never will. Most people seem to go on FB to impress other people. I DON’T GIVE A RATS REAR END WHAT MOST PEOPLE THINK. Never have, never will.
I agree, I only joined to keep in touch with my son and his wife when they were in NZ for a year... Been nothing but a nuisance ever since.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

While I'm not defending the "social media" sites, I don't have the "problems" many complain about. Granted if I post about every aspect of my daily life it can be like standing on the corner, nekkid, shouting about my bowel movements and sex life. Being a Bible thumping, handgun toting', conservative, I get in discussions with snow flakes and left wing whiners, but that can happen standing in line at the checkout at the local market (and even gun forums). I'm conscious of what I share, like I'm conscious of how I talk to my Pastor's wife. Yes there are some lurkers that are just there to argue and boost their sagging ego by flaming and arguing, but those are soon recognized and barred, or I have replies that work for morons. A positive side, I keep in touch, from a distance (in many instances good) with those old friends/coworkers and very distant relatives (I discovered a cousin in Mesquite that I thought was dead and we occasionally "talk"). There are local groups that sell stuff and share happenings (yesterday a member asked if anyone was missing a turkey that was walking down her street. Turns out it was just one of a local flock that occasionally comes to town). I guess, bottom line, I'm in control of what anybody sees about me on line and I only share/post what I wouldn't mind being in the local newspaper...
Last edited by mikld on Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

If it wasn't for Fakebook a lot of people wouldn't have a life at all! Some seem to spend their entire life posting every detail of every minute of their days on FB. I've never understood the thought process of documenting every day's events, nor the thought process of others to even want to view it?
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have swapped recipes on fakebook.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Mikld: well said.

MarlinMan: what you posted bout some people not having a life at all except for Facebook, I think also applies to many sites. I observed such posters on firearms and woodworking sites. Sometimes I think such posters just like to argue, are looking for sympathy, a handout of some kind, are just so unhappy they need to complain about how life has treated them, how unfair life is, or looking for excuses for their own shortcomings.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I addition to social media, we are seeing a lot of "reality" shows on TV. They are "popular" because many people live vicariously with/through the people on these shows and their many problems. Years ago I wondered how anyone could possibly be interested in a young woman's dating problems, why would anyone want to watch a bunch of strangers locked in a house interact, or how a semi-functional family "functions". It's people that have a life they don't like and are looking for gratification, self awareness in TV strangers' lives. Sad commentary on today's society...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Ray Newman wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:48 pm Mikld: well said.

MarlinMan: what you posted bout some people not having a life at all except for Facebook, I think also applies to many sites. I observed such posters on firearms and woodworking sites. Sometimes I think such posters just like to argue, are looking for sympathy, a handout of some kind, are just so unhappy they need to complain about how life has treated them, how unfair life is, or looking for excuses for their own shortcomings.
I see those unhappy people all over social media sites, regardless of what the venue is. The people who make derogatory comments when someone posts a picture of something they've built, or have for sale. No intention of buying, and no reason to comment, yet they can't help saying something negative. It always struck me as they must be very unhappy to be so critical, when nobody asked their opinion.
I've looked at items for sale at various gun forums, and was quite surprised when people posted derogatory comments, but weren't interested buyers. Seemed like they were just trying to kill the seller's item.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

In September of 2014, I caught myself looking at a post that I made on FB for the purpose of seeing how many "likes" it got.

I came to the realization that this was poison to me and I was frankly surprised that I would give anyone else that kind of power to judge me or my post.

I shut down my account immediately and I have not been back. A lot of people seem to do ok with FB and other sites. I know that it plays on one of my weaknesses and I have to leave that alone. I don't miss it.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Zuckerberg can go get Z-----!! been on MeWe for awhile
just on the guns for sale sites, mostly in Wyoming, did buy a 629- 1- 3 in. bbl. for 650.00 with a box of 300 gr. bullets & a box of ammo
only had to drive 30 miles & meet at a gas station, so felt safe in doing that
one thing i cant figure out with big tech is if the lib commies take over , how long do they think they can
hold on to their vast fortunes?

Brad
ammodotcom

Post by ammodotcom »

AJMD429 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:43 pm I won’t put any ‘smart’ device in my house; even the idea that a phone is always listening in case you say a word that could trigger directed-advertising is enough to annoy me, much less the more nefarious things that could be done.
Hear hear. I have to use a smartphone for work, but when I'm off the clock it goes deep into the recesses of my closet where Alpha-Bits Boys can't eavesdrop.