New Henry Big Boy Steel Side Gate in 357,44,and 45 Colt on the Henry Website

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Neal
Levergunner

New Henry Big Boy Steel Side Gate in 357,44,and 45 Colt on the Henry Website

Post by Neal »

Funny thing: About a month ago I called Henry and inquired if they were going to expand the side gate models into the Big Boy Steels. (Other than the X models) The woman I spoke with said it is possible in the future, but for now, no. So here it is, about a month later and they are on the website. Big Boy Steel Side Gate in 357,44, and .45 Colt, both standard length and Carbines. I searched and could not find any posts about this on the forum. If any of you were like me and waiting for more side gate models, looks like the wait has been shortened. :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: New Henry Big Boy Steel Side Gate in 357,44,and 45 Colt on the Henry Website

Post by Griff »

Thanks for the news Neal. I'm sure those'll be welcomed far better than the prior models.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
piller
Posting leader...

Re: New Henry Big Boy Steel Side Gate in 357,44,and 45 Colt on the Henry Website

Post by piller »

I have a Rossi with both the loading gate and the removable tube to drop the cartridges down the magazine tube from the top. I like that setup. Hopefully the Henry rifles will work as well with both loading options on them.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Cool. Hope that means there will be some bargains on the "inferior" models. I'd really like a .357 for silhouettes and the tube loading doesn't bother me at all.
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Engineering to do this is pretty easy, couple more commands on the CNC machine milling out the receivers.

I have a suspicion the Ruger buy-out of Marlin may be a factor in this.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Even without being an engineer, I can see a few areas on the Henry where weight could be reduced without any loss of critical area strength. Pay a Mechanical Engineer a bonus to make it lighter while keeping it strong enough for Ruger level loads. Let the Engineer's bonus be increased if a panel of some well respected folks like Paco, Jim T., John Taffin, Buck Elliott, and 3 members from this forum chosen at random for their end user knowledge, can get over 85 percent agreement that it is to their liking. Make the bonus worth the Engineer's time.
Design it for the intended users and listen to their requirements. Give the Engineer reason to want to do the job. Does anyone other than me think it could work?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I was gifted an unwieldy, golden fence post, er... Big Boy full sized .357. Since it was a heartfelt gift from a great friend, I'll treasure it.
Probably the most disliked feature is that slippery gold-colored buttplate.
If I decide that I need a .357/.38sp rifle, I'll get the little steel carbine.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Missing Michigan
Levergunner

Post by Missing Michigan »

piller wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:21 pm Even without being an engineer, I can see a few areas on the Henry where weight could be reduced without any loss of critical area strength. Pay a Mechanical Engineer a bonus to make it lighter while keeping it strong enough for Ruger level loads. Let the Engineer's bonus be increased if a panel of some well respected folks like Paco, Jim T., John Taffin, Buck Elliott, and 3 members from this forum chosen at random for their end user knowledge, can get over 85 percent agreement that it is to their liking. Make the bonus worth the Engineer's time.
Design it for the intended users and listen to their requirements. Give the Engineer reason to want to do the job. Does anyone other than me think it could work?
The issue isn't just if it CAN be done. It's also a question of is the cutomer willing to pay for it. I am a mechanical engineer, and while I can see changes that can be made that would make it lighter and just as strong, those changes come at a price that includes re-proofing your design with any regulatory agencies, running extensive durability tests on the changes, added machining and tooling costs, quality testing design and retooling, etc....

All of these changes are at a cost that has to be passed on to the consumer.

Depending on how much that adds up to, customers may not want to pay for it.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Steve