A Hunting Story <|:-)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

A Hunting Story <|:-)

Post by Blaine »

When I was 14, my parents finally allowed me to go deer hunting with my 3 older brothers. When we got to the edge of the forest, we split up. I was supposed to stay with my oldest brother, but somehow we got separated. Lost and alone, I started to panic, but then remembered what he told me: "if you get lost, shoot 3 times in the air". So I did - I shot 3 times in the air and sat on a rock and waited. Nothing happened. I shot 3 more times and waited - nothing. After an hour of waiting, 2 guys just happened to walk by the rock where I was sitting. They took me to a ranger station where I got help. I was so glad they found me when they did, because I was about out of arrows.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JimT
Shootist

Re: A Hunting Story <|:-)

Post by JimT »

Patrick McManus told about the time he was hunting with Guide. After wandering around for 3 hours or so the Guide finally said, "We're lost. I don't know where we are!"
McManus said he fired 3 quick shots, but he couldn't hit him because he was dodging through the trees so fast.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I was never lost, although I have been somewhat confused about my location for a few weeks one time.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

My "little brother" (best friend) and I were muzzloader hunting for deer and had split up, to set up about 1/4 mile apart. At the end of the day, I headed towards the truck. Got there and waited. Couple hours passed and still no friend. Getting worried, but I was outside the truck and thought I heard a faint noise to the North like someone took a shot. I got out my rifle and fired into the ground. Did that about every 30 min. Couple more hours passed and LB finally showed up. He was exhausted. He had headed North from our hunting area , instead of South. Bet he was at least 3 miles away in the wrong direction.

He was sooo thankful to have made it back to the truck. Pretty dark area where we hunted. Luckily he let off that shot while still in range where I could hear it.

He's been gone nearly 13 and I still miss him.

Got a pic from his son(consider him my Nephew) this morning. His 10yr old got his first deer this morning. Bet Grandpa is looking down on him and smiling.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

I aint passin judgement and have been a might "confused" myself at times in the woods. That said a good realiable compass I think would keep many a hunter from gettin lost. Especially if there are roads. Take acompass bearin before leavin the road and then say you go north from the road even if ya go east or west from the road all ya gotta do is head south (with the aid of the compass) to at least make it back to the road. Of course this is comin from a "flatlander" who has hunted mostly Florida swamp and scrub or SW GA. Did hunt in WV once which was easier to orient due to ridges and valleys than flat thick woods. Just my limted experience.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Shoulda used a wrist rocket. Oldie but a goodie!
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

When I was a kid, my dad told me to carry 2 compasses. He said "just about the time you get comfortable in the woods, you'll swear your compass is broke and think you know better."
Shockingly, I listened, cause I've had both happen. About the time I got comfortable hunting "big woods" up north, I pulled it one day to check my heading and thought, "that ain't right." I pulled my 2nd and it said the same thing. That was a lesson!
A few years before that I did the same thing and they didn't agree. I checked them by holding them near my rifle and found one was broken.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

We had a Lieutenant in the Army, last name was Buennemeyer, who used to set his compass on top of his .45 before taking a bearing. That man could get lost coming out of a bathroom stall.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

piller wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:47 pm We had a Lieutenant in the Army, last name was Buennemeyer, who used to set his compass on top of his .45 before taking a bearing. That man could get lost coming out of a bathroom stall.
Now that's funny right there. :lol:

"Buennemeyer..."

It's been a few years (or maybe more), but that sounds a lot like the last name of the ROTC jerk from the movie "Animal House" -- maybe they were related. :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH