Winchester 94 side eject trigger job

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
alzayto
Levergunner

Winchester 94 side eject trigger job

Post by alzayto »

Here's the poop on reducing trigger pressure on model 94 Winchesters. I currently own a model 94 AE chambered in .356. The trigger pull was 8.5 pounds and impossible for me to get use to when target shooting. This is the fix...the main spring can be shortened by 1/2" as long as the end is reshaped flat with a pair of needle nose pliers. The guide for the spring has a small hole in the end to collapse the spring by inserting a small nail. The spring guide can also then be deburred and the spring when shortened can be re-installed. By removing a roll pin, the flat spring that presses down on the sear can be removed and narrowed by a file, .010 to.020 ought to do it. Also, use a strip of emery paper to thin the spring itself from .060 to .055 to .050. When re-installing the roll pin, first insert a drill slightly smaller than the hole to line everything up and tap the pin back into place. I've reduced the amount of trigger pressure to fire from 8.5 pounds down to a respectable 4.0 pounds by doing this modification. You're looking at a 3 on the 1 to 10 level of difficulty. My history of being a machinist for 37 years and my background as a part time, retired gunsmith renders this an easy fix for my Winchester. The barrel has been shortened and re-crowned to 18.5" and the tubular magazine is 2" longer than the fore end to accept 3 rounds in the magazine (plus one up the spout). With a scope, handloads and premium bullets, I can print 3/8" at 50 years all day long. I hope you find this post interesting and informative. Cheers, Alzayto.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester 94 side eject trigger job

Post by OldWin »

I fixed mine too.

I swapped the lower tang and fire control group, changing it back to a half cock safety. :D

Good info, though! And hello from a fellow machinist.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester 94 side eject trigger job

Post by .45colt »

alzayto, Welcome to the forum . that is a Great first post . I've been here nearly twenty years and cant tell how many times this has been discussed. stay near the fire and I'm sure We will all learn a lot. Happy Holidays. :D