Rossi '92 sight dovetails?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Rossi '92 sight dovetails?

Post by Rockrat »

Just wondering if the dovetails on the Rossi Rifles are the 3/8" or some odd metric size? Reason being , is that my rifle, when the rear sight is at the lowest notch on the elevation slide, is still hitting almost a foot high at 165 yards, with some warm 158gr ammo.

Even with factory 357 PMC stuff, it still hits high.

Thinking I might need a taller front sight.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Rossi '92 sight dovetails?

Post by Sarge »

I don't claim to have the final word on this (or anything else) but here's what I've observed-
Rossi’s rear sight dovetails have changed some over the years, ranging between 0.385 and 0.400 inch; and those are just the ones I’ve encountered. Rossi’s dovetails also seem to be substantially deeper than the typical US dovetail, which complicates matters more.

It’s possible to use the 0.385 rear sight in the 0.400 dovetail, by installing a strip of steel shim to a close fit in the bottom of the larger dovetail. I’d read of this procedure and had my reservations; but it facilitated a tight, secure fit on the Puma 45 Colt mentioned later in this article. I had an old set of carbon steel feeler gauges and a strip cut from the 0.010″ worked perfectly. It even took cold blue and now, you’d need a magnifying glass to tell it’s in there.

Marbles has reportedly offered sights just for the Rossi dovetail, but I find they often do not ‘bottom out’ as they should. I put a Marbles No 95 rear on my 45 Puma, waaay back, but it’s not an ideal sight. Its only elevation adjustment is that little sliding insert and its always shown some light under the dovetail- and I don’t like that.

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/improve ... -model-92/
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Skinner sells a different sight for Rossi dovetails. I can tell you it's much different than the 3/8" standard. I got in a hurry and ordered the wrong one for my Rossi but rather than send it back I put it on a Stevens 325 I had and it's a marriage made in heaven.
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I’ve put Williams Firesights (with Williams FP rears) on several Rossi leverguns, and Lyman Globe sights on a few as well (paired with Taurus tang sights). I shimmed most of them, usually with aluminum soft-drink can metal. All worked fine and look ok.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I may have missed it, but I see no mention of the specific distinction or differentiation of Interarms (ie, pre re-tooling) era and later Rossis (appx 2000-on). Therein lies the change, roughly, from the odd .390-ish (+/-) dovetails to the standard 3/8 (.375ish). My several Interarms guns are consistently the odd-duck dovetail. My few(er) post Interarms have consistently been or accepted 3/8. "Post Interarms" would mean any LSI (Legacy Sports), which effectively "took over" market-wise (and Alexandria, VA facility for awhile IIRC along with likely some personnel) from Interarms as the largest Rossi importer-distributor. Others included EMF "Hartford," Navy Arms and maybe a few other smaller ones. (Later yet, Rossi "itself" under new Braztech/Taurus ownership became its own sole primary importer-distributor, which continues to be the case).

My fairly early LSI 92 beautifully accepted a standard 3/8 Marbles full buckhorn to replace the rudimentary, still-stamped stock one. As I understand it and maybe he will weigh in here, our very own NKJ (Steve Young) was a contracted consultant with EMF and, among other enhancements, instrumental in spec'ing a better quality sight with those 92s. Some may recall, along with Navy Arms til its demise (as a Rossi carrier) in 2006, EMF was the last holdout on the fukakata safety, til they too relented in 2006. Sadly, as someone mentioned, Marbles had but no longer makes sights for the old dovetails. Steve I believe still offers a modified stock semi buckhorn (built on the old sight) for those with the early guns. Also mentioned was Skinner, but I believe those are just peep.
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

I got the rifle from Navy Arms. Its a full mag, full octagon, stainless gun. Guess I might remove the front sight to measure it.

Thinking about putting a scope on it, what is available to scope the thing?

I ran some Lil Gun loads thru it with a 158gr Rem flat point. Used S&B rifle primers. 5 shots thru the Chrony ran 2011-2014-2011-2011-2008 fps. Pretty consistent.