Cleanlyness is Next to . . . . . . .

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: Hobie, AmBraCol

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Cleanlyness is Next to . . . . . . .

Post by COSteve »

My handloading bench is 18 yrs old and the Masonite top cover has gotten stained with oil and such over the years. It's brad nailed down so I could easily take it up and replace it if it gets damaged.

It's in good shape but it looks tacky all stained and such what with my bench always being so clean and all. Anyway, today I got a wild hair and broke out some Mr. Clean All Surface Cleaner and gave it a go. Turns out the result was better than I'd hoped for. :D

Bench top this a few weeks ago. Note the oil stains and general greasy top. Looks tacky and feels grimy:

Bench top after Mr. Clean. Much better and well worth the minimal effort to clean it. I also cleaned the pad in the middle as well:

Yes, I know. A bit too anal for most of you but I like to keep my tools clean and organized and a dirty bench isn't ok with me.
Steve

Noli nothis permittere te terere
“Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.” - Confucius
"When you find a find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it." - Dilbert
JimT
Shootist

Re: Cleanlyness is Next to . . . . . . .

Post by JimT »

How do you find anything?
I know right where my gunsmithing screwdriver set is. It's on the casting bench next to the slag pile that I need to get rid of someday. Cuz that's right where I left it!

:lol:
Scott Tschirhart
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

That looks great! Good job.
Rockrat
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Rockrat »

I'm like JimT, how can you find anything?? If I clean up my bench, you can't tell I did a month later and besides, I can't hardly find anything once I clean it up.

COSteve, you would probably have an epileptic meltdown if you saw MY shop. My wife doesn't like to come out there, it just offends her sense of order and cleanliness
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Rockrat wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:11 pm
. . . My wife doesn't like to come out there, it just offends her sense of order and cleanliness. . .
That’s how you maintain your privacy.... :mrgreen:

(...they’ll never notice that new gun/scope/press if you keep it messy enough... :D )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Rockrat wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:11 pm
I'm like JimT, how can you find anything?? If I clean up my bench, you can't tell I did a month later and besides, I can't hardly find anything once I clean it up.

COSteve, you would probably have an epileptic meltdown if you saw MY shop. My wife doesn't like to come out there, it just offends her sense of order and cleanliness
Surprisingly, I don't mind if someone else's shop is a mess because I don't know where anything is anyway. All you guys who remember where you put things have a hard time understanding my 'affliction'.

You see, I can easily remember where something is supposed to go but it's impossible for me to remember where I put something if it's not where it belongs.

That's why it's always cleaned up because I know right where it should be and if it's there then all is well. If it isn't I'm lost. I'm sure that doc has a name for the syndrome or whatever I have but I was born this way and always have been this way.
Steve

"When you find a find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it." - Dilbert
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

My shop is 4600 sq feet of bad mess. And it always will be. I respect clean and orderly but that aint a priority for me.. But Steve , I seen your bench pictures before and I been meaning to pry.. Where in the world did you get the big plastic jugs to hold brass and such? That addition alone to my shop would organize some of the clutter.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Alphawolf45 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:57 pm
But Steve , I seen your bench pictures before and I been meaning to pry.. Where in the world did you get the big plastic jugs to hold brass and such? That addition alone to my shop would organize some of the clutter.
I'm surprised no one has asked before.

The larger 55oz one's on the TV cabinet I collected while I was still working so all are over 14 years old. They're UTZ brand 'Pretzel Stix' and were filled with 6" long thick sticks. I bought them while I was still working for use in my office so that during meeting with my team, they'd have something to munch on. They all loved them. You can get them from Walmart HERE.

The smaller 44oz ones on the shelves are newer. They are UTZ brand 'Pub Mix'. I went with them as I could only get 4 of the larger pretzel kegs on a shelf while I can get 6 of the smaller Pub Mix on a shelf. My wife loves them as does a neighbor so I asked them to save their old jugs and they obliged. (As you can see, I just got the last ones a few days ago.) You can also get them at Walmart HERE.

I also have some smaller ones I keep small runs or overruns of ammo in that I get from the dog treats my wife buys for the pups. I soak the labels off and use 'Goo Gone' to remove the stickum and then print up labels for them.
Steve

Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

OMG Steve This makes my life so much easier. I dont have as much brass as you have but the stuff I have is filling lil coffee cans and zip lock bags seems to be all over the place..I dont snack ever so I will tell my wife to order a half dozen of those 55 oz plastic jars and she gets to munch on whatever until I get a clean glorious large plastic bottle to dump empty brass into.I really appreciate you Brother.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

COSteve wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:22 pm
Yes, I know. A bit too anal for most of you but I like to keep my tools clean and organized and a dirty bench isn't ok with me.
Right up my alley! :mrgreen: But I'm a bit OCD when it comes to organization! :lol: