Anybody do a form 1 can? (Doc?)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Anybody do a form 1 can? (Doc?)

Post by Streetstar »

Pros / cons? Form 1 cans - There is a proloferation of articles about using racecar fuel filters/strainers which are threaded in 1/2 x28 .

Naturally this requires the tax stamp but material cost is 50 bucks or so vs 4-5-600 and beyond for a commercial grade can and with shorter wait times

But was wondering if these are even functional after a few rounds or any experiences anyone has had?

Interestingly ive encountered a few folks who enjoy putting these on leverguns as they supposedly very quiet when the sound of a semiauto action is gone
----- Doug
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Anybody do a form 1 can? (Doc?)

Post by ndcowboy »

I too would love to see some responses to this thread. I've been wondering about the Form 1 stuff.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I did a lot of research last year when i was considering doing one. the stamps are coming back in under 90 days as compared to 10-14 months for traditional cans
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Haven't done that, but I can vouch for the quietness of leverguns if suppressed.

My Mystic (LibertyCans) recently got a new core to bring it up ('almost') to Infiniti-X specs, meaning it is a take-apart (more easily cleanable for use with rimfire and non-jacketed ammo) can that is rated in my case up to 308 Win (the Infiniti-X has a thicker tube and is rated up to 300 Win Mag), but I mostly use it on 357 Mag (Marlin CSX), various 9mm's (Ruger Charger PC, pistols), 300 Blackout, and of course all sorts of 223's and 22 LR's. On the 357 Mag 16" levergun, 38 Specials sound like 22 Shorts, and 357 Mags like a regular 22 LR. 223's sound like a pneumatic stapler.

But the super-quiet levergun is my Ruger 96/22. I bought the Thompson Machine 'Operative', which is a replacement barrel for a Ruger 10/22. Same shank as a 96/22 (not same as a 77/22), except the 96/22 has dual extractors; 5 minutes with a small file cut the extra extractor clearance, and another 5 minutes with an Allen wrench put it on the gun. You just don't hear anything other than a quiet internal hammer-fall, and whatever the bullet hits. Shoot into deep snow 100 yards away, and you hear essentially nothing.

Anyhow - all that I mention to show that yes, 'cans' on leverguns are pretty nice. They make GREAT tools for starting out new shooters. New shooters have four major concerns:

1. Guns are LOUD and startling
2. Guns are scary-looking
3. Guns recoil
4. They may be a bad shot and feel embarassed/frustrated

Shooting that Ruger 96/22 off a bench with a red-dot scope addresses all four of the concerns. After they hit the 6" 50 yard gong target 20-30 times in a row, they are 'ready' to brace themselves and shoot louder guns, then ones that recoil... 8)

I'm sure making a super-dooper quiet suppressor that is light weight would involve machining titanium and all sorts of things, much less having to take apart and copy a commercial design, but making one that is pretty-darned-quiet, and reasonable in weight, shouldn't be difficult.

I've thought about getting a Form-1 thing just so I can legally keep a 1/2"x28 adapter along with whatever oil filter fits it in the car as an 'emergency' item in case some EMP or other event resulted in me having to walk 30 miles home in the dark with just my AR pistol; shoot that once and I think it would cause permanent hearing damage... :(
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

My brother and a friend from work have both done form 1 cans in the last 6 months. Both forms were returned in under 30 days. Both bought”solvent traps” on line and converted them after the paperwork arrived. One s set up for a 45/70 and has the cones inside that were drilled out. Used a regular hand drill not as quiet as my Silencerco hybrid but he paid $75 mine was 800. Good enough. The other guy bought two kits for a 22 solvent trap that had the kcup internals that were stainless and quality end caps $52 for both kits. One tube is engraved the other tube was destroyed per ATF guidelines but he now has extra end caps and baffles if he ends up with a bullet strike or something. Getting the tube engraved locally was impossible so he had to send it out. The other guy used an electric pencil and did his own. Look poopey
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

What does this mean...???

"...The other guy bought two kits for a 22 solvent trap that had the kcup internals that were stainless and quality end caps $52 for both kits. One tube is engraved the other tube was destroyed per ATF guidelines but he now has extra end caps and baffles if he ends up with a bullet strike or something..."
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

If you have extra drilled baffles and end caps AND a registered tube you may NOT have the parts to make another complete suppressor. If he had not drilled the baffles and end caps he would have been fine but once they were drilled he had to destroy the “extra” tube.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

fordwannabe wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:57 am If you have extra drilled baffles and end caps AND a registered tube you may NOT have the parts to make another complete suppressor. If he had not drilled the baffles and end caps he would have been fine but once they were drilled he had to destroy the “extra” tube.

Yes. Could indicate “intent” to make another one without letting Uncle Sugar know
----- Doug
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

fordwannabe wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:16 am My brother and a friend from work have both done form 1 cans in the last 6 months. Both forms were returned in under 30 days. Both bought”solvent traps” on line and converted them after the paperwork arrived. One s set up for a 45/70 and has the cones inside that were drilled out. Used a regular hand drill not as quiet as my Silencerco hybrid but he paid $75 mine was 800. Good enough. The other guy bought two kits for a 22 solvent trap that had the kcup internals that were stainless and quality end caps $52 for both kits. One tube is engraved the other tube was destroyed per ATF guidelines but he now has extra end caps and baffles if he ends up with a bullet strike or something. Getting the tube engraved locally was impossible so he had to send it out. The other guy used an electric pencil and did his own. Look poopey

Good stuff Ford, Im going to apply before i buy the fuel filter, but i believe ill try one for a pistol caliber carbine and a .22 size can. The filters available are 6” and 10” from what ive seen, so that oughtta do it
----- Doug
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

My suggestion is to get the solvent traps before you send the form1. The form one needs dimensions. By buying the trap first you know exact measurements. Also I would get two kits or buy additional baffles, end caps as when you go to buy a replacement part two years from now will the exact part be available? It is a small price investment now for some peace of mind later. YouTube has tests where they compare monocore vs cone, vs k baffles. So do your homework before you pay your $200.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

From someone who is not very experienced in these matters, where do you get a solvent trap? Amazon?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

eBay or wish.com