Playing with the .30-30 Model 94 Trapper

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Playing with the .30-30 Model 94 Trapper

Post by JimT »

I've been shooting the Trapper every week lately. At one point I was getting kinda discouraged as my groups were opening up quite a bit. Then I had something happen that moved the gas out of my brain and realized I was shooting targets using the "ghost ring" and my eyes were no longer seeing things the way they should.

So I screwed the small aperture into the Williams Fool-Proof sight and suddenly I can see the sights AND the target! AMAZING!

I got a good buy on Sierra 170 gr. JFP bullets (can't find my preferred ones right now for some reason :roll: ) and was working up some loads with them today.
IMG_1599.JPG
IMG_1597.JPG
They do show promise!

Man it is nice to see the sights and the target!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Playing with the .30-30 Model 94 Trapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Of all the guns I have sold and regretted it my Winchester 94 SRC 30/30 is one I most regret selling.... :oops: :oops: :oops:
Nice shooting Jim.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Very good. I've never used anything but factory loads in my old 94 Trapper.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Man that makes me want to get mine out and take it out for a spin! I can't remember what kind of groups I got on paper. Obviously the data blank needs filling!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

My favorite loads are with the Speer 130 gr. Hot Cor JFP. My load runs an honest 2400 fps + and is accurate. I have taken big deer with it and find it works very well. HOWEVER ... there seems to be a plug in the pipeline that delivers them since I cannot find any at the moment. So I am saving what I have. I was able to buy a supply of the Sierra 170's and having never used them, I have been testing different loads.

I have some cast bullet loads that shoot nice and are fun to play with, though I am gonna have to start casting again as my supply is short. Thankfully I have the lead to cast them.

The old 30-30 will do the job if I am up to it.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Apart from a few cat sneeze loads I only used factory 170 and 150 gr in my Carbine, would love to experiment now I'm retired and too much time on my hands.
P5180007.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

That's awesome! Good loads and good shooting. 3031 is almost all I use in the rifle calibers I load for.