Who Said I'm Cheap? I'm Frugle And Keep Things For Future Needs!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: Hobie, AmBraCol

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Who Said I'm Cheap? I'm Frugle And Keep Things For Future Needs!!

Post by COSteve »

Over the years I've run two Harbor Freight tumblers to clean my brass as it makes the task go a lot quicker and I have the room. Through the close to 300,000 cases, I've had a couple of failures; one, the motor froze up and the other, the center threaded rod to hold the top on the bowl stripped making it impossible to keep the lid on. I put them aside for "some day" and promptly forgot about them. Then a friend fried his tumbler a few years ago and I 'lent' him one of mine (looks like forever) so I've been down to one.

Well, this morning the wife had me digging in the storage area for some bows, ribbon, etc. as it's getting that time of the year and I stumbled upon a couple of my handloading 'extras' that I've moved past using. I'd forgotten about them and while I was getting them out to give them to my friend, I happened upon those two lonely Harbor Freight tumblers and decided that "some day" was today.

I first checked both tumblers to confirm their status and decided to strip down the fried motor one to learn how to get it apart to salvage the center rod for use in the working one. I tore into it taking everything apart as much to see how it was assembled and save all those great little parts as to get the rod out. After stripping it down almost completely I was able to get the good rod out of the base plate.

After studying the parts and how they went together for a bit I came up with a plan of partial disassembly of the working one so I could replace the rod and put it back together without having to tear it down completely. Things went according to plan and before long I had it up and running like a top. So, now I've got my two working tumblers once again. Even better, I've got all the little screws, nuts, washers, rubber pad, grommets and collar, springs, switch, and electric cord for my parts bin.

I call the morning a huge success as 1) I got to do a project that I always find fun; learning how something works and fixing it rather than buying a new one using only the parts I have on hand, 2) keeping my wife happy and me entertained before the football game at 2, and 3) proving that once again if it breaks there's no need to throw it out. It's still got usefulness to it even if it's just for parts.
Steve

Noli nothis permittere te terere
“Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.” - Confucius
"When you find a find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it." - Dilbert
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Who Said I'm Cheap? I'm Frugle And Keep Things For Future Needs!!

Post by AJMD429 »

Sounds like a good day.

Those days make up for the ones when what you try to fix requires fixing something else first, and neither project works - but you’ve spent $85.00 on parts that didn’t fit or won’t work, and six hours labor- but now will need another hour to clean up the mess.... :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I've been there too!! :lol: :lol:
Steve

Noli nothis permittere te terere
“Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.” - Confucius
"When you find a find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it." - Dilbert
JHarold
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JHarold »

right on!
young people today would just pick up a new one after they stop at Starbucks for their $5.00 cup of coffee.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I'd call it a good day too! :mrgreen:
Scott Tschirhart
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

You definitely got your moneys worth out of those tumblers!!!!