what should my next levergun be?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

what should my next levergun be?

Post by FLINT »

Hey guys,

I'm trying to decide which levergun I should get next.

I've got: 30-30, 32WS, 32-40, 38-55, 35 rem, 300 sav, and a couple .22lrs. also have 30-06 in pump and semi, and a 22 mag in bolt.

I just yesterday missed out on a 25-35 that I could have had last week, but got busy and missed it and then this week someone else snatched it up. It was going to complete my original win 94 caliber collection, and I'll not likely be able to find another one that I can afford. pretty depressed about that. I'll still keep my eyes open though and hopefully will luck into one, but again, prices are just so darn high.

I've wanted for years a pre safety Marlin 444S and could get one, but my shoulder is super jacked up and I'm not sure if its a good idea putting money into something that I won't be able to shoot much - so I've almost given up on any heavy recoilers. I'm able to shoot the 06 a few times ok, but its a semi (742) and its pretty heavy with the scope, so I think its a little gentler than normal for the caliber.

The only thing I think I'm missing is something in the smaller rifle calibers - but there aren't a lot of good (or affordable) options for lever guns in smaller calibers.

I'd like to get something that could be a good coyote gun. For whever reason, I'm really attracted to the 222 - though as far as I know its never been offered in a lever. I have zero interest in a .223 as everyone and their dog has one these days. I like the good but less common calibers (though maybe not toally obscure).

I've thought about the 243, but again, not much for lever guns there either - I know there has been a couple but again, not that I can afford probably.

Thought about the 250-3000 savage. but pretty much would have to be a savage 99, and those aren't cheap in that caliber. but is an option I'm considering.

I don't know, I'm still thinking. I might give up and get a .222 in a bolt action, but I kind of hate bolt actions. mostly because everyone else likes and has them. I guess I'm not rich enough to be so particular, haha, but I still am.

For whatever reason I have very little interest in pistol calibers also.

anyways, let me know what you think. I guess I'm kind of leaning towards 25-35, 250 savage, or something smaller in diameter. the .22 hornet seems neat, and I know it gains me some over a .22mag, but not as much as the .222, and has a much less stellar repuation for accuracy.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: what should my next levergun be?

Post by marlinman93 »

.25-35 is a great caliber, although I don't own one. I do own a .25-36 Marlin 1893, with very similar ballistics, and love it. But another one I'd consider for you is a lever gun in .32-20 WCF. A wonderful caliber that's very economical to reload for, and in my guns with great bores, very accurate too!
I've shot my .25-36M and my .32-20 both out to 500 yds. and they're a hoot to try long range shooting with!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If you want a centerfire bottleneck cartridge, you’ll probably have to look for an older savage 99 or a BLR of current manufacture.

If you’re considering a small bore cartridge, look at a Marlin 1894 in 218 Bee.

If you are OK with rimfire, the 17 HMR is an amazingly accurate round out to 100 yards for on small targets, barnyard vermin, or just plain fun. Henry makes a traditional one, and I have a Ruger model 96 that was originally in 22WMR, but five minutes of work with an Allen wrench and a Green Mountain replacement barrel converted it to a 17 HMR, and of course the detachable 9-shot box magazines work perfectly for either round.

Also, remember that just because the caliber is large, doesn’t mean you have to have lots of recoil. A chunk of lead that weighs 350 to 500 grains is serious medicine, even if it ‘only’ exits the muzzle at 1200 ft./s instead of 1800 ft./s. My Big Horn Armory model 89 in 500 S&W is my single most-expensive gun, and an awesome contemporary iteration of the Winchester 1886 shortened and strengthened to accept rhino-killing 500 S&W Mag loads exceeding 4,000 ft-lbs (IIRC), but firing ‘500 Linebaugh’ level loads feels no different then ordinary 170 grain 30-30 loads to me. ‘Rainbow trajectory’ I guess but whatever it hits is down got the count.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

You could look around for a Marlin CL in .218 bee , or a new Henry Long Ranger in 6.5 Creedmoor.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Have you considered any of the old short action chamberings?
My favorites to shoot are the 38wcf and 44wcf. These cartridges are more addictive than heroin.
They are capable of shooting quite well. With cast bullets and handloading they are pretty cheap to shoot and are still effective in the field for deer sized game.
Loads of history.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

OldWin wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:42 pm... the 38wcf and 44wcf.
Yes, his current battery is sorely missing the pistol length cartridges.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

One of my favorite leverguns is a Uberti 1873 in 45 Colt! I have two, a 24-¼" octagon and a 18-½" half round/half octagon that I use for cowboy action matches. Easy shooting, easy reloading, easy on the shoulder with 200gr cast @ ~850fps. They are also deadly on coyotes with the 200 grain Speer Flying Ashtray! For a fun plinking round that can still do other jobs, I don't think you can go wrong with a toggle link action and the 45 Colt! For more power loads, approaching 44 Mag ballistics, I have a Rossi 1892 with 20" octagon bbl... another fine choice.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Thanks guys, great suggestions.

I guess I'm leaning more towards 'rifle' cartridges. For some reason I'm not really interested in the pistol cartridge guns. Although at one point I was really thinking about the Henry 327 rifle. I have a ruger sp101 in that caliber and really like it. Kind of like a modern 32-20.

I forgot about the Henry Long ranger - but that's definitely something to look at. The only thing about henry's is that stinking 14" lop stock. If I got one I'd have to chop it down. And I'd have to suck it up and get a .223. Does anyone here have any experience with the Long ranger? good? bad? ugly?

The 218 bee would be really cool, but again $$$$$. It always surprises me, that almost any kind of odd gun that I look up on gunbroker there are bids on and for more than I can pay. Must be a ton of gun owners out there with plenty of cash on hand.