One bear down

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

One bear down

Post by wvfarrier »

Well got my first bear of the season! He wasnt huge at 204# but its meat! My arrow hit him a little further back than i wanted (he flinched at the shot) in the lung and the liver, he went about 35 yards and bedded down. He expired pretty fast and i didnt have to track him!! It was a very long drag....think im.getting too old for spot and stalk. Its not a great picture since it was dark and raining but there he is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: One bear down

Post by gamekeeper »

Congratulations on a successful hunt 8) I'm sure that bear would have looked twice as big to me if I only had a bow but I have no bears here, just Squirrels... :wink:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Congratulations. I have never eaten bear meat. What is it like?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
shasta_steve
Levergunner 1.0

Post by shasta_steve »

Nothing wrong at all with a #200 bear. I have not had a bear roast for years but remember it being really good. Bears are kind of like pigs. They are a pain to drag, especially if the ground is not level.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Bear meat is all about PREP!! You have to trim all the fat off (except spring bear). It tends to be greasy, so i either grind it up for sausage and burger and a couple.roasts.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Fine harvest. We have a surplus of black bears in our Lincoln National Forest, where Smokey was born and badly burned as a cub. Hounds are allowed here, so it is fun to be in the woods and hear them on a scent.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Im actually pretty anti dog hunters. I have had dealings with them in the past and its never been positive. Unfortunately here in WV they buy a lot of politicians so there is no getting rid of them or even reigning them in
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Congrats on successful hunt! I've actually only bear hunted once. With a game warden as my guide. Horseback in the Sierra Nevada in CA. Only saw our quarry one time, about 250-300 yards above us over a rock scree, no way to get up to it for a 1/2 mile or so... by the time we got close to where we'd spotter her... she was long gone and light was fading fast. Apparently this bear had scared several folks hiking the John Muir Trail and he'd been ordered to "fix" that problem. Never heard if he finally did, as we'd finished our deer hunt week in the area before he came back by checking tags again.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Nice job on the bear!! Spot & stalk with a bow WOW!!

made a lot of smoked sausage with any of the bear i had shot,always turned out real well

ollogger
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

wvfarrier wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:27 am Im actually pretty anti dog hunters. I have had dealings with them in the past and its never been positive. Unfortunately here in WV they buy a lot of politicians so there is no getting rid of them or even reigning them in
I’m not big on chasing deer or bear with dogs but then again I’ve never tried it . I have no problem with others doing it PROVIDED they keep their dogs OFF MY PROPERTY and I realize that’s virtually impossible if they run close to me and the animal comes on my property .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Just oughtta curiosity how many bear can you kill a year in West by God Virginia ? When we had kill permits at the orchard we could usually take five before archery season but during the entire hunting season in Virginia it’s one per year .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I googled it, you guys can take two per year if I read it correctly all seasons combined .
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

You can take 2 provided at least 1 of them is taken in one of the specified 2 bear counties. I took this one in my home county so my next one has to come off the lease im a member of in Nicholas cou ty