How do they do it?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

How do they do it?

Post by jnyork »

Had to take the wife to the Big City, Casper WY, for some medical stuff Wednesday and Thursday, came home Friday. Dang wind just howled the whole time we were there, gusts over 40, made driving home a real chore. I dont see how the hell people can live in that part of the country at all, wind is a constant annoyance. Winter time makes it a truely miserable place. Casper is not the only place that's like that, Rock Springs-Rawlins-Elk Mountain along I-80 are always super windy, as well as Cody. Sure glad to be where I'm at, least amount of wind in Wyoming.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: How do they do it?

Post by Sixgun »

It's easy......by living there with the wind and the cold they know no democrats will move in and suck the services dry and if they do, there's lots of land to "lose" them in.---6
Model A Uzi’s
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Drove that stretch of I-80 in a Volkswagen about 50 years ago headed back to Oregon. Wind dang near blew me head-on into a Semi. And isn't Rock Springs the place where the Chamber of Commerce has a log chain hung on a post for use as a wind gauge?

Then got into Idaho and the wind had dropped way off but the car still was driving kinda' funny. I stopped to see if I had a low tire and fell right on my butt -- black ice slicker than snot covered everything.

Lived in Carson City, Nevada for some years. Wind would fall off the Sierras, gaining velocity as it fell. Replacing roof shingles was a several-time-a-year event. I like a little wind but some places are just ridiculous.

Aren't you a little overdue for heading to Yuma Jerry?
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

earlmck wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:00 pm

Aren't you a little overdue for heading to Yuma Jerry?
Yes we are, wife's medical situation had to be resolved before we leave. Things are getting better now so we hope to be in the sunshine by Thanksgiving.
t
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Kansas has nothing in the Western half of the State to stop the wind but 7 trees, 1,000 houses, and about a million miles of barbed wire.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Now JN, that going to AZ every winter has just softened you up too much :mrgreen: Does get a tad gusty now and then but you live with it; and I also fly a very light plane here, but not when it gets real bad. When I was driving off to freshman year of college in Utah (don't ask) from Ohio, there was no I-80 yet. Had to take the good old 30 when it still went through Medicine Bow (a branch of it still does but it is dang near a ghost town now). Quite a shock for a wet behind the ear Ohio farm kid. From then on I never lived in the east again. I like the starkness; it calms my mind and lowers my blood pressure. If the trade off is the wind, I can deal with that too.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

... From then on I never lived in the east again. I like the starkness; it calms my mind and lowers my blood pressure. If the trade off is the wind, I can deal with that too...

I can relate, even though I stayed in Indiana.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Back in June, I was in Kansas to visit my Parents. 3 days in a row the wind stayed above 20 mph. Some gusts got up to 70 mph. Tree limbs were everywhere except still on the trees. Out near Meade, Kansas, there is a State Highway which has gates that automatically shut the road like a railroad crossing but it is in response to wind speed. Winds over 50 mph there will blow the field from one side of the road to the other and the sand will eat the paint off your car.
D. Brian Casady
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

" the sand will eat the paint off your car."

Piller,
Sounds like one of the dust storms where I grew up in the Texas Panhandle. We kids had to just stay inside until it was over.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I remember driving west to east accross North Kansas and the wind liked to of blew me off the road, and it just never seemed to let up. I finally found a semi-trailer truck and got on his butt and pretty much drafted him probably close to 200 miles or more. That did help quite a bit, but I guess it was a little dangerous. The trucker didn't seem to care much that I was back there. I think I did have to switch trucks every once in a while. I would loose a truck to a exit or something, and have to find another.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The end of this October I drove the I-80 corridor thru WY as I-40 in NM had snow. There wasn't any wind at all! I usually check the WY website for truckers to decide whether to go I-80 or across I40 then up thru UT to get to the PNW! Seems crazy that it was just 2 weeks ago that I left TX for WA, been to Charleston, SC now in OKC!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
joepb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by joepb »

I like the wind! It keeps the trash out of the state. I am not talking about garbage..............Joepb
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

joepb wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:03 pm I like the wind! It keeps the trash out of the state. I am not talking about garbage..............Joepb
:lol: :lol: :lol: Yep same here! Except for the Oklahoma trash blowing up to Nebraska or visa versa.
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

COSteve wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:21 pm I use to drive up 25 to 80 and then west to Cali when we'd visit all the outlaws who still lived there. That 400 mile stretch through Wyoming was not so fondly referred to as 'Siberia' especially in the winter when Wyoming doesn't bother to plow the snow off of 80 because the wind blows it right back on. North of 80, especially in the North West Corner, Wyoming is beautiful but much of the state is a bit too bland for me.

The only road more boring to us was 70 from Denver to Kansas City which we had to drive to see my dad a few times a year. 9 hours of east Colorado and then Kansas flatland. Both states have constant wind along those routes and the only time it stops is to change direction.

I must point out that your comments about E. Colo. and Kansas are very unfair and most incorrect. The wind changes direction with out stopping here.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Or as Baxter Black said: "The wind never blows in Wyoming, (pause) less than 85 miles an hour."
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Blew like hell yesterday and again today 😳
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Marvin S wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:36 pm Blew like hell yesterday and again today 😳
What part of the Wagon Train Dropout State are you in?
D. Brian Casady
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

We were having the Shootists Holiday in Cody, WY years ago. John Linebaugh had us set up on a place just west of town. Targets out to 800 yards. The wind was always blowing and on some shots with a handgun at the 800 yard target we were holding 30 yards into the wind. We shot until the wind started blowing full 50-round .45 Colt cartridge boxes off the table and then we would shut down.

I was told the wind stopped blowing in Wyoming on one rare occasion and half the State fell over.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

And people wonder why they tell jokes about the wind in the central corridor of the U.S.
D. Brian Casady
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

piller wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:18 pm
Marvin S wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:36 pm Blew like hell yesterday and again today 😳
What part of the Wagon Train Dropout State are you in?
North East. Not even the windy area but we get enough for me.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »