Guy dissing leverguns....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Guy dissing leverguns....

Post by AJMD429 »

I get it - my AR's have all put out many more rounds without jamming than my leverguns, just because they can do such high volume fire, and on the other hand, my bolt-actions pretty much don't jam, either, but they are slow and deliberate in their use. My break-opens NEVER jam.

https://youtu.be/Ime09uh01-k

So I guess the guy is statistically correct, however.....I really STILL like my leverguns.... :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Guy dissing leverguns....

Post by .45colt »

Bla,Bla,Bla,..who cares........He must be a dumbocrat. :shock:
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yeah I guess to me the levergun is just best ‘all-around’ as a practical gun.

I’ll grab a semiauto if a big battle is imminent.
I’ll grab a bolt action if I need to shoot sub-MOA.

But if I just want to go out back and SHOOT, I’ll grab a levergun, most likely.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Army training with the M16, it still makes me feel like grabbing a semi-auto for self defense. To hunt at long distance, a bolt action is my preference. To hunt at 100 yards, give or take, my levergun is what I think of first. A .30-30 is plenty fast and accurate while having enough power at 100 yards for any animal in the continental U.S.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Doc, its always frustrating those fellas. I see lever actions as pretty useful myself, I like them for pistol cartridges. Apart from the possibly less accurate Ruger 77, they arent a lot of other options for such economic calibres. They are not the fastest action in use, but its one of the fastest to get into use. It stows anywhere and can be drawn like a sword. I used all the military hardware in my career and bolt actions for hunting, but settling on a one gun armory, a lever action got the end vote. Just one small voice in the swamp of course :)
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

The M16 took decades after its introduction to become somewhat reliable. It failed, much to the detriment of those using it, miserably when introduced.

They touted its reliability right up until my kids went to Iraq. Problems showed up again in dealing with the sand. Heck if they weren’t shooting them they were tearing them down to get all the sand out.

So two dramatically different climates and both induced more than an acceptable failure rate.

AR type rifles are good range toys but nothing to bet your life on.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

So some guy does not like lever action rifles?

Who cares? To each his own.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've never had a jam with any of my leverguns, but mine are all pre 1900 leverguns, so that might have something to do with it. I've had more than a few jams or cycling issues with AR type rifles over the years.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

The levergun not a "battle rifle"? Don't tell the Mexican Revolutionaries that!
It's one of the few battle rifles with its own song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP1NdRu4YpU
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

My favourite Spanish/ Mexican song.... :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I listen to Mexican music quite a bit.
Even their sad songs sound happy.
After listening awhile I have to go have a Corona or Tecate beer.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’m down to three and hopefully soon two lever actions . And honestly that may become one . The AR’s might be eliminated as well . I’d just as soon carry one of my rebarreled 700’s or one of my Mannlicher Schoenauer’s out in the woods as anything anymore .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

6pt-sika wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:15 pm I’m down to three and hopefully soon two lever actions . And honestly that may become one . The AR’s might be eliminated as well . I’d just as soon carry one of my rebarreled 700’s or one of my Mannlicher Schoenauer’s out in the woods as anything anymore .
:shock: :shock: :shock: Infdel...!!! :o :o :o

:lol:

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

AJMD429 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:44 pm
6pt-sika wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:15 pm I’m down to three and hopefully soon two lever actions . And honestly that may become one . The AR’s might be eliminated as well . I’d just as soon carry one of my rebarreled 700’s or one of my Mannlicher Schoenauer’s out in the woods as anything anymore .
:shock: :shock: :shock: Infdel...!!! :o :o :o

You can say what you want I don’t really care . But if I didn’t like shooting big chunks of lead I’d not have any levers anylonger . But then again to be totally honest I could get rid of the last two Marlin 444’s and shoot my cast stuff in the Ruger #3 I have that someone ran the chamber out from 44 to 444 .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Well, the guy had some good points as far as they went. And if I was shooting hundreds and or thousands of rounds, then I would probably say, the AR's (good ones) might have less failures, but if neglected badly, a good leveraction would probably still work, but I have had AR's that got dirty, start jamming on me, until they had a cleaning and oiling, especially if it was a cold day, but they responded well to a quick spray and wiping down of the bolt, and you were back in business.

But lets just say that you take a rifle and shoot it some, and store it away without at least some cleaning and oiling and let it sit there for several years and then grab it up to go shoot. At that moment, I would likely have more faith in the leveraction, maybe. And more faith still in a good bolt action.
NRA Life Member, Patron
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Having used several types of firearms, I can say with confidence that they all can fail if something is wrong. An AR type is not failure proof. Wipe it dry of all lubricant and take it to a gun range. It won't be long before you learn why some people have come up with creative ways to swear at them. Most mechanical devices must have lubrication of some type. Leveractions, in my experience, work when dirty or improperly lubed much better than AR types do. Bolt actions are not a type which I have put large numbers of rounds through at any one session. I can only assume from their excellent war records that some of them are more reliable than most of us will ever need.
Mechanical devices can all fail, but there are some which have had a lot of years of design improvement which have given us items which are reliable.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

The guy does some good tests, and I'm sure he's a person that understands that firearms are niche machines. They are designed to perform a task within a given environment within specified parameters. One gun cannot do it all, everywhere.

I've seen several of his videos, and not entirely agreed with any of them.

Personally, I think he's the black-gun mall-ninja type.

He's just doesn't care for those ugly old leverguns.

Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.