Favorite levergun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Favorite levergun

Post by Pitchy »

black river smith wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:02 pm Pitchy,

I am surprised you did not pick your 1876, liked the looks of your rifle, vidoes and write ups about it way back when, that I finally got one in '14. It looks like yours after striping and tung oiling. The first time I handled one was in '06 and took me another 8 years before buying from CDNN at a great price.

All,
Now my favorite levergun is a '70's Marlin in 44Mag that I substituted a full 7/8" Numrich octagon barrel and crescent buttplate and rechambered in 44Mag. I did this back in '92 before Marlin started making their Cowboy Models. It was my CAS rifle for a number of years. Still like it. Heavy but very accurate for me.
Thanks, i really like the 76 but they are heavy compared to the Cowboy but looks wise the 76 is a beauty.
Like others have said it`s hard to pick just one, my 1919 Model 94 30-30 is wonderful also.
Kind of comes down to what ya consider favorite by what your using it for. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

well, that shows you have your priorities right , in my opinion.

though it is hard to find one of these. i got this one probably 20 years ago
cable
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Your guns are a lot prettier than mine!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

i like that one, and thats exactly the kind i enjoy taking with me.
cable
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I have one of the old JM Cowboy Marlins in .45-70 that comes in a close second. Its surprisingly light and handy. Can't argue with the .45-70 at all.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

critters who try to argue with the 45/70, only do that once !
cable
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Harold,
Your '76 is the next to the nicest one I have ever seen....love the configuration.....like that Colt too.....man...YOU get all of the neat stuff....I feel poverty stricken. :D

The nicest '76 I ever saw was on display at a collectors show....full case colored and pretty much like new.....had pictures with the original owner...who was a doctor.....holding it in a horse and buggy....full documentation....----6
Model A Uzi’s
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

that one would be worth a small fortune !
cable
shasta_steve
Levergunner 1.0

Post by shasta_steve »

This would have to be my favorite now. It is a Browning 1886 45-70 made in 1986. I really would love to get an original but for now this one is fun to shoot. Next two guns I want to get are the Uberti 73 in 44-40 and the 76 in 45-75. Would love to have an original in either of those but that may have to wait a few years.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

shasta_steve wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:06 am This would have to be my favorite now. It is a Browning 1886 45-70 made in 1986. I really would love to get an original but for now this one is fun to shoot. Next two guns I want to get are the Uberti 73 in 44-40 and the 76 in 45-75. Would love to have an original in either of those but that may have to wait a few years.
the first 86 that i showed is a custom browning made in 1986, and reworked by Ray's Gunsmithing in Colorado springs. i just copied a special order 86 right out of the Winchester book by Madis.

i can push 410 grain bullets to right at 2100 fps .. but why do that ? there are easier ways to hurt yourself !

you have a superb rifle !
cable
lazarus870
Levergunner

Post by lazarus870 »

cowboy44.jpg
1997 manufacture Marlin Cowboy 44 magnum with a 24" octagonal barrel.

Little back story. I am in Canada and you can get a firearms license at age 18 to acquire pistols and rifles and shotguns. Well, as a 19 year old at the time, who just got into guns and had no family history of gun ownership, I wanted a Glock 17. I liked tactical looking guns - Remington 700 Polices, Glocks, Sig P226s, 870 Police models with synthetic stocks, flashlights, AR15s, etc. That's where all my money went. I only wanted really tactical looking guns.

However...even at age 20-21ish I always was absolutely fascinated with the Marlin 1894 Cowboy in 44 magnum. They were back in production at the time (mid 2000's) and there were no quality issues or buyout plan. I always looked at buying one but couldn't stomach spending the money on it. And it was very weird, because it was completely different from any gun I've ever owned which had synthetic stocks and most were semi auto. I had no idea but that Marlin just seemed right!

Sadly, production ended and the whole Remington buyout debacle happened and I couldn't find one when I wanted one. It took me years to find one, nobody was selling theirs. I googled "1894CB" on my local Canadian forum and messaged every person to ask if theirs were for sale but no luck.

Finally I found one in .357. And then I found 2 in .45 Colt. And another in .357. Finally a guy messaged me to say he needed the money and was going to sell his 1894CB but this had a 24" barrel, not the 20" I liked. But I said ok screw it. I love the long barrel! It's a lot easier for me to shoot accurately. And now I have 7 Marlin Cowboy models (5 1894 and 2 336).
shasta_steve
Levergunner 1.0

Post by shasta_steve »

hfcable wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:07 pm

the first 86 that i showed is a custom browning made in 1986, and reworked by Ray's Gunsmithing in Colorado springs. i just copied a special order 86 right out of the Winchester book by Madis.

i can push 410 grain bullets to right at 2100 fps .. but why do that ? there are easier ways to hurt yourself !

you have a superb rifle !

That is a beautiful rifle you have there. I love my Browning. It was my uncles and I remember when he first got it about a year after I got out of high school. It will bruise your arm up pretty good, with hot loads, but still a blast to shoot.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

My favorite has got to be my Browning BLR in .308 win for actual hunting.
But another favorite is one of my Model 94's, pre-64 30/30, because it's so handy to always have with me. It's permanent home is in a saddle scabbard lashed to my side by side. Mostly, it's my Armadillo and coyote gun, and they are always on the menu.
Leveraction Model 94 Winchester in scabard on side by side.jpg
7pt Nov 2016 deer.JPG
NRA Life Member, Patron
shasta_steve
Levergunner 1.0

Post by shasta_steve »

Lastmohecken wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:01 pm My favorite has got to be my Browning BLR in .308 win for actual hunting.
But another favorite is one of my Model 94's, pre-64 30/30, because it's so handy to always have with me. It's permanent home is in a saddle scabbard lashed to my side by side. Mostly, it's my Armadillo and coyote gun, and they are always on the menu.

Leveraction Model 94 Winchester in scabard on side by side.jpg

7pt Nov 2016 deer.JPG

I like that BLR you have there. I have one just like it but in .243. I hope that it will be my grandsons first deer rifle but that is still a few years away.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I would like to have one in .243, and I might just buy one, the next time I see a good used one. I had another one in .308 also, for a spare, but it set in the safe for a few years, never needed a spare, so I gave it to my oldest son.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Lastmo, have a .243 like your .308. It is my most accurate rifle, 1/4" group at 100 yds., 30+ years old.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

lazarus870 wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:03 pm cowboy44.jpg1997 manufacture Marlin Cowboy 44 magnum with a 24" octagonal barrel.

Little back story. I am in Canada and you can get a firearms license at age 18 to acquire pistols and rifles and shotguns. Well, as a 19 year old at the time, who just got into guns and had no family history of gun ownership, I wanted a Glock 17. I liked tactical looking guns - Remington 700 Polices, Glocks, Sig P226s, 870 Police models with synthetic stocks, flashlights, AR15s, etc. That's where all my money went. I only wanted really tactical looking guns.

However...even at age 20-21ish I always was absolutely fascinated with the Marlin 1894 Cowboy in 44 magnum. They were back in production at the time (mid 2000's) and there were no quality issues or buyout plan. I always looked at buying one but couldn't stomach spending the money on it. And it was very weird, because it was completely different from any gun I've ever owned which had synthetic stocks and most were semi auto. I had no idea but that Marlin just seemed right!

Sadly, production ended and the whole Remington buyout debacle happened and I couldn't find one when I wanted one. It took me years to find one, nobody was selling theirs. I googled "1894CB" on my local Canadian forum and messaged every person to ask if theirs were for sale but no luck.

Finally I found one in .357. And then I found 2 in .45 Colt. And another in .357. Finally a guy messaged me to say he needed the money and was going to sell his 1894CB but this had a 24" barrel, not the 20" I liked. But I said ok screw it. I love the long barrel! It's a lot easier for me to shoot accurately. And now I have 7 Marlin Cowboy models (5 1894 and 2 336).
you are a very lucky feIlow !!

have one in 44, 45, and in 32 H&R.....wish I had one in 357 as well.
cable
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Ray wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:23 am I don't actually have a favourite but speaking of BLRs.....

I met a kid in the woods on opening day this saturday past carrying a BLR .308. He said that it was his granddad's and that between the original owner, his dad's elder brothers, his dad and now himself, it had slain well over a hundred deer.....

When I said that I had had one in .358 he gave a puzzled expression and asked what that was. In a flash he had his phone out and was looking it up. Perhaps I helped convert a gaming knucklehead into a gun nut.....
BLRs are excellent .. i have the takedown in 30/06 - superb accuracy

recently got my daughter a BLR lightweight youth model in 308 - giving it to her for this Christmas ! excellent accuracy , handy weight and balance
cable
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

barbarossa wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:07 pm My Miroku winchester 95 src in 30/06

I have the same rifle and my favorite too.
lazarus870
Levergunner

Post by lazarus870 »

hfcable wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:08 pm
lazarus870 wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:03 pm cowboy44.jpg1997 manufacture Marlin Cowboy 44 magnum with a 24" octagonal barrel.

you are a very lucky feIlow !!

have one in 44, 45, and in 32 H&R.....wish I had one in 357 as well.
Thank you! :) The 357's I have are fun. 2nd one is made in 2009 just before the plant shut down. It's still a JM but plain wood on that guy. The .32 is very rare, is it a CB model?
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

yes, it is the CB model. neat little beauty. you can use a reamer [ and headspace gauge etc ] and extend the chamber to take the 327 magnum.. my gun didnt need anything else done, it fed the 327s just fine with no modifications.

makes a really handy versatile rifle. and they are quite rare. glad i got it long ago. kinda like the marlin model 94 in 41 magnum. glad i got one of those as well [ unfortunately it is not the CB model]
cable
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Old Savage wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:08 pm Lastmo, have a .243 like your .308. It is my most accurate rifle, 1/4" group at 100 yds., 30+ years old.
Yep, then can be quite accurate. Many years ago, I was sighting mine in at 200 yds, and my brother in law had a .270 Model 70 Featherweight he was shooting. His rifle was averaging 5 inch groups at that range on that day and mine was averaging about 2.5" with the occasional 3 inch group.

He couldn't stand it, and traded his bolt gun off or an older BLR in .308 win with the rounded magazine. His shot basically as good as mine. He has owned a lot of guns since then but still keeps the old BLR, I don't think he will ever let it go. We both had trigger jobs done on ours and they have pretty good triggers, but I guess that's the the one thing a bolt gun has an advantage on, because it easier to come up with a really good trigger on a bolt gun. But our triggers are definitely a lot better then many out of box bolt guns.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Old Savage wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:08 pm Lastmo, have a .243 like your .308. It is my most accurate rifle, 1/4" group at 100 yds., 30+ years old.
[/quote

Accidental double post, sorry.
NRA Life Member, Patron
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

day at the range 009.jpg
all of them.... :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

...and now I have 7 Marlin Cowboy models (5 1894 and 2 336)...

That is the same back-story many of us have when it comes to leverguns; they are infectious... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

jeepnik wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:04 pm Image
No optics, but the same model is in my safe. They are quite capable. I am planning on putting a pistol type of 1.5 to 4 power scope on it sometime. A duplex reticle is my favorite type. Not many things can walk off a decent hit from a .45-70 with a 405 grain bullet.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

The holo sight is gone I now have a EER scope on it. These days the iron sights are getting pretty much useless.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Welcome back Scott, you've been missed.
My favorite is my Marlin M39. It wears a Skinner on the rear. Nothing more fun that sitting out on the front porch plinking around with it in the late afternoon. With standard velocity shorts it's so quiet you can hear the hammer fall.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

At this particular moment I really enjoying my 1982 Marlin 1894 in 357. That's because I just picked it up.