The Savage combo guns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

The Savage combo guns

Post by AJMD429 »

My son has one of the older model 22LR/410 models as featured here (his WONDERFUL father gave it to him) - https://youtu.be/M666C_H-HXg?t=263.

The presenter comments that the gun would be good for any hunting most places "unless perhaps you saw a deer" - now I know few of us actually just go out and hunt 'whatever comes along', but I got to thinking that although they made 20 gauge versions and a 20 gauge slug would be ok for deer, of course MANY rifle-cartridge inserts are available for 12 gauge barrels. But then it makes the gun more heavy, and you lose the benefit of the nice little 410 gauge option.

Has anyone made an insert for 410 that would shoot, say 30-30 Winchester...??? That would make the little 22LR/410 extremely versatile, particularly if the 'insert' was one with a fairly long chunk of rifled barrel...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Re: The Savage combo guns

Post by Larkbill »

The .410 is pretty limited but in 20 ga you could get it done:

http://mcaceak.com/shotgun-inserts.html

Post by barbarossa »

Savage use to sell the 2400 12ga/308 with that using sub cal inserts could give you a lot of choices
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Never fooled with inserts but a rather bushy fella of my acquaintance who had a little farm out on the Donken Rd had one of the 24s in 22mag/20ga and used it for everything we had in the UP aside from moose (probably would have plugged one if he got the chance though). .62 caliber roundball or slug does good work on big game.

Eric
Turdyturdy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Turdyturdy »

Those guns have a loyal following. Go to Savage24.com as it is a great site for all matters about the 24 series. I have even read threads about inserts there.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

AJMD429 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:57 pm ...now I know few of us actually just go out and hunt 'whatever comes along...
For that you need a Drilling -- with a rimfire rifle barrel insert (an "Einstecklauf") in one of the shotgun tubes.

Mine in 16 x .22 Mag x 8mm is below...

Old No7

German Drilling (14).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Any body have .410 slug ballistics handy?
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

mikld wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:16 am Any body have .410 slug ballistics handy?
I've played with some of Ballistic Products 410 THUG slugs, not overly impressed, about a foot high at 25 yards. The data was lilgun, 1800+fps. But I only loaded a few just for kicks.
Years ago I preferred 410 slugs for feral felines, really did the trick!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

One of my birdwatching and wildlife loving hunting buddies’ favorite comments whenever you talk about, or show him, a new gun, completely regardless of what it’s chambered in is “...that would make a good [feral] cat gun...”. He’s said that to me for at least the following:

Marlin 1894 in 218 Bee
Ruger Alaskan in 375 Ruger
Ruger 96/22 with integral suppressor in 22 LR
Zel Single Shot AR Upper in 338 Lapua
Contender Pistol in 223 Rem

...and probably many others over the years... :D
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old No. 7, I like that Drilling...! 8)

Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

the Savage 24 is a neat gun.

I have one that was my dad's. I guess he got it with either a broken or missing stock and he carved this stock for it by hand with just a pocket knive when he was in his 20's. My dad was the most resourceful and capable person I will probably ever know.

It is a 22lr/410

I need to go hunting with it.

Turdyturdy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Turdyturdy »

For the member looking for the .410 slug ballistics: I am looking at a box of Winchester 3 inch loads and it shows 1,800 fps with a 1/4 ounce rifled slug. I know of 2 hunters that have killed deer with this ammo.