Done

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Re: Impressions After First 10,000 Rds Handloaded On My XL 750

Post by KWK »

I use a cheapie Lee single. 10k rounds? No time soon!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I am still using a Lee single stage press. I had planned to get a turret press, but things happened.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Nice Report Steve!
I started with a Square Deal, upgraded to a 550 and it does everything I need it to do. Although I don't use the 550 for cases bigger than 223, i just don't trust the powder measure to drop a load of powder for say 308. I tend to get in a rhythm and go a bit too fast! So I keep my old RCBS bolted down for big stuff, as well as a Lee C press to run factory crimp dies.

You can not fault Dillon for CS, a couple years ago I lost the little white square plastic thing for the powder measure, I called and they sent me one and another couple small parts. Package arrived and as I'm putting the parts on the machine I dropped that little white square. Out of nowhere Parker ( then a young pup ) runs in grabs that square and it was GONE! Call Dillon and the same guy I originally spoke to answered, hey umm, I need another square, I sent you one, yes and it arrived but I dropped it and the puppy got it! He laughed and said ok I'll send you a few this time!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Steve, good gracious, do you shoot all those rounds yourself?
I might have loaded 10,000 rounds in my 50 years in the game, but likely not, but then I have been a single-stage guy most of the time.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I'm still using the same 550 that I bought many years ago. I doubt that I have enough years left in me to wear it out.

This was an excellent report on an interesting machine.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

This thread made me stop and think about my Dillon 550 is. A note on the manual cover page indicates I bought it December 1985. Thirty-five years and still going strong. Over the years, I purchased a few minor parts that wore out. Once as a result of part failure, Dillon replaced the powder measure at no charge, including shipping. Hard to go with a Dillon!

Have no idea how many rounds have gone through it. Only reload it for pistol as most of my rifle shooting is with Black Powder and lead paper patch bullets. As for my “smokeless” rifles I have at the most 100 rounds for each rifle and it is far quicker and easier for me to use the Redding turret press and a Belding and Mull powder measure.

As an aside, there is a sale on an aftermarket Dillon powder measure screw for easier adjustment. For US$9.00 just might be worth trying it:
https://www.taylor-tactical-supply.com/ ... lon-pb.htm

Did not find the amount of ammunition loaded by COSteve unusual. The trap/sporting clay, prairie dog/varmint, competitive shooters, etc., that I know go through ammunition like water through a sieve.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Great report and extremely informative. I've had a Square Deal B for about 8 years with maybe 40000 rounds loaded. Been a wonderful little machine and my sole experience with Dillon's customer service was excellent. Nice tools and nicer people.

Eric
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

I use a Dillon 650 and very happy with it except I have had issues enough with the primer feeder so that I ordered a new primer feeder assembly. Now with this thread I would like to know if the Dillon 750 primer feeder would mount to a 650? Ole Steve has made the 750 primer feeder sound mighty good.

I havent kept track but figure I have loaded 10,000 rounds on a single stage press before I got the Dillon gifted to me from a good friend . I have not mastered the advertised 10 minutes? caliber change times.

I got 4000 cast bullets in the mail last week that I will load up for my Rossi 357 for silhouette practice and competition.. I never ordered more than a 1000 bullets at a time when I had to do it with the single stage.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Steve, Great report. Thanks. I just discovered that my 550B (purchased in 1987 is flat wore out! Probably in the neighborhood of 100K rounds loaded. The vast majority of my reloading is 45 Colt, 45 ACP, Cowboy45Spec. Both the Colt and C45S rounds are loaded with both smokeless and BP. Wednesday afternoon I emailed Dillon with the status of the machine and am awaiting their response. With 2 550Bs I have quite a few toolheads and spare parts... otherwise I'd probably upgrade to the 750.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!