on the subject of lever shotguns..

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

on the subject of lever shotguns..

Post by 4t5 »

why aren't there any 20 ga.?, only .410
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Turdyturdy
Levergunner 1.0

Re: on the subject of lever shotguns..

Post by Turdyturdy »

28 gauge would be even better!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

If built along traditional lines they would be big and heavy in anything larger than the .410, I would like to see a lever action.410 chambered for 3" shells but even that would have to stretch the receiver some. I believe the Turks make some leveraction big bore shotguns but as John Browning said " there are better designs".
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Well you could always go to a purpose-built lever shottie, the Winchester Model 1887, but probably a 12.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

It s basically about economics.Most manufactures use a currently produced action and adapt it to the 410 shell that's why only the 21/2 shell is used compared to the 3inch(they have to go with the action length capacity of the the rifle action)It s less expensive for the manufacturer as he doesn t have to design and tool up for a new action especially if it only ends up being a niche market .Lets face it a lever action shotgun though cool will never beat out a break action,pump or auto shotgun for hunting so manufacters have to go where the money is.I have a henry lever 410 carbine and love it for rabbit hunting as where I live the brush is quite dense so long shots on rabbits is quite rare.That said my favourite bunny gun will always be a 22
JRD
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JRD »

Kessler made 20 gauge lever actions years ago. You just need to find one.
Plus there are 12 gauge lever actions made in Turkey for the Australian market where pumps aren’t allowed.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Turkish brands uzkon , pardus, Adler and a couple others make 2.75 and some 3" chamber lever action shotguns in 410 and 12ga. Both tube and box magazine fed. Can't say I have heard them doing 20ga though.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Rumble.com/ hickock45
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

4t5 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:07 pm why aren't there any 20 ga.?, only .410
way back , Marlin made a 20 gauge lever action prototype based on the original model 1895 receiver... there are pictures in Brophy's book I think\

I have the Kessler 20 gauge, the 1920s marlin original 410, a Winchester 1901 ten gauge, and a repro winchester 1887 12 gauge.

there was also a Larsen-widmer lever shotgun made in the late 1800s in 16 gauge , very rare and pricey. would love to have one
cable
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

https://blackacestactical.com/product/p ... er-action/

How about these? Maybe they'll expand their line. Are these what are being sold in Australia?

Post by mickbr »

Larkbill wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:25 pm https://blackacestactical.com/product/p ... er-action/

How about these? Maybe they'll expand their line. Are these what are being sold in Australia?
yes I believe so- I'd bet that gun is a rebadged turkish import.