case life 357 in 1892's and other levers.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

case life 357 in 1892's and other levers.

Post by mickbr »

Just wondering how long other folks 357 brass lasts in lever actions with standard loads. 1892 specifically but interested in any reports. I dont use revolvers but would imagine cases will stretch less in them.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: case life 357 in 1892's and other levers.

Post by Tycer »

I run full house Lil’Gun almost exclusively with 180 grain hardcast in my rifle in mixed brass. Never had any failures or stretch.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I don't experience any issues with mixed .357 brass in my Rossi 92. Been shooting a lot of the same brass for many years.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Been shooting the Rossi Paco gave me and using the same brass in the sixguns. Only "failures" I have had is the normal kind of wear and tear from resizing and neck expanding .. a few neck cracks now and then. Some of the brass I use has been reloaded over a period of more than 20 years, though how many times I have no idea.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Thought so fellas, I havent had to reload many thus far and things were going well.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

COSteve wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:53 am I called their CS and told them about my issue and the CS person admitted that some batches were a 'bit brittle' but he'd never seen them fail on the second firing.
I have had that happen on the first firing. Rarely. Sometimes brittle batches do get out unfortunately.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Thanks for the info Costeve. So is JAG brass good quality? I notice its pretty cheap right where I am. I thought it might be budget level going by the price. But I might pick some up now.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Steve
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Thanks for the info on Starline's customer service shortcomings. I have some of their brass for a couple of calibers which I currently cannot get from anyone else.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ten years or so ago, I had good customer service from Starline, although I can't remember the exact issue - I think it was some 32-20 cases that were damaged on arrival. They replaced them without question or return of the damaged ones being required.

Hopefully you just got a bad customer service rep on a bad day; I'd hate to see that become a trend... :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Steve
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Just bought a couple hundred rounds of 357 from Starline have some 44 spl too. Hope I don't have that problem with mine. I have plenty of 44 spl in Winchester brass but am light on .357 mag and it's hard to find any right now.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Me too, in different lots. Hope they all work okay. Btw any thoughts on winchester , Remington and Hornady brass in 38sp and 357. Just found a store with all three, does one stand out over the others? The winchester is priced highest for the record.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I bought Winchester brass years ago when I started loading for my .30-30. I still have all but a few pieces of the original brass. I lost a couple, and messed up a couple by not chamfering the mouth. As far as new brass, I do not know. My .44 Magnum brass is Remington, and less than 5 years old. About 10 reloading cycles on it, and it is still good. I have some that I really do not know how old it is or even how many times it has been loaded that is still working perfectly well.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Generally, case life depends more upon the chamber the cases are fired in and the dies they are resized in than it does the manufacturer.

If you have a chamber that is at the upper limits of dimensions and dies that are at the lower limits, you will work the cases when you expand them by firing and the shrink them back down when you size them. The brass will work-harden and separate sooner than if the chamber dimensions and die dimensions are close.

That difference causes more case failures than who made the cases.

Years ago the "internet wisdom" was that Remington .45 Colt cases were the most prone to separate. I took 100 R-P cases and loaded heavy loads of 2400 under my 300 gr. bullet and fired them. I stopped testing after 20 reloads. In 20 reloads of fairly high pressure loads I lost 10 cases to neck mouth cracks. Those come from belling and then crimping the case mouths, not from pressure. I lost no cases due to any type of separation of the case body. If I had annealed the case mouths at some point during the test I most likely would not have lost those.

Yes, brittle batches of cases do happen at times. I have had brand new cases split full length on the first firing. But that is extremely rare.