Ok, One Knife, if you

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Ok, One Knife, if you

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Could only have 1, for a 4 month wanderlust. I'm bringing a Schrade SCHF36 for all my chores. Of course I'm gonna cheat and have a cheap butcher knife, 2 small folders, a damascus blade with diamond willow and cedar handles for showing off!

And for,,,,, G-K and Nath,,,, an older stainless Japan Butter knife I sharpened so it will easily cut meat. Curious how long the edge will last before it needs sharpening,

BTW i bought a full serrated small Dive knife made in Italy. Passed up a Pedersoli 12 gauge black powder double barrel and a P14 Enfield in .303 British that was sporterized. Was a good show tho. But winter is here and I wanna be on the Gulf Coast soon. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Ok, One Knife, if you

Post by gamekeeper »

I find the "one knife" question harder than the one gun question.
I have been buying and using knives for the last 62 years and still haven't found the " one and only" knife I be happy to exclusively use. My Glock knife would be my choice for combat, my Black Cat Mercator for EDC, anyone of my Scandinavian knives for hunting and I have no idea which shiney pocket knife or fancy dagger I would choose just because I liked them enough to buy 'em.... :?
I suppose my old and trusty J Marttiini hunting knife from Finland would do most chores as long as I don't get arrested for carrying it when not hunting. The Butter Knife would be just as illegal to carry here sharpened or not... :roll:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

My favorite knife is the becker BK-5 camp magnum, now discontinued I believe. durable blade, okay slicer, can still stick a hog held by dogs with the 8" blade.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Wow this is tougher than the one gun thread! I have custom knives I have production knives Heck I have a lot of knives.... only one? Uhmm
Two completely opposite knives come to mind as “the one“.
I have carried a Swiss Champ for 30 years all day everyday. So maybe. Concealable, sturdy Ish, multi-function and comfortable as a 30 year friendship tends to be.
The other knife... a classic do all knife USMC Ka-BAR. Reliable as a rock, dang near indestructible, choke up on the blade for fine work, hold At handle for chopping. Draw backs hard to conceal and in some areas would be considered a concealed weapon, and heavy. Back in the 1980’s I worked with a guy who hiked the AT from Maine to Georgia while in his 60’s. The only weapon of any type he took was a Ka-bar. I asked him why that knife? What else could I possibly need, was his answer. He had spent 30 years in the military and had started his career on a UDT(underwater demolition team) before they were called SEAL teams. If it was good enough for him I gotta think it would be more than good enough for me.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

The One (of many) Knife. I found this knife by Mossy Oak on Amazon. What sold me on it was one of the reviews I read. It went something like this:
- "This knife is well made with a full tang and a thick blade that will stand hard use. It holds an edge well and the handle is made of material that will not accept fingerprints. The knife is cheap enough that you can leave it stuck in someone's chest and buy another." -
That sold me! So I bought it.
IMG_0832.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

I'd have to have a large three blade Stockman pocket knife.
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Just one knife? That would be tough. I have a fairly heavy Schrade with 1095 steel. It was around $40. It is not too expensive to abuse by batoning it. It holds a decent edge, and has the weight to cut branches well. The blade is long enough to use for stabbing things if necessary.
If not much chance of losing it, I have one made in S7 steel that is a Bowie pattern. S7 is used in jackhammer bits for its impact resistance. This blade holds a good edge and gets sharp enough to cut kleenex smoothly. Trouble is that it was expensive.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Worked before when needed.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

jeepnik wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:02 pm Worked before when needed.
You can still buy those at Academy Sports and Outdoors.
D. Brian Casady
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

That's a no brainer.....Leatherman.....been carrying one daily on a lanyard since the nineties.....the lastest one I've been carrying is the MUT....or Military Utlility Tool.....cuts, saws, pliers, hammer..(yes, a hammer) and a million other things....you can attach sockets of any diameter, as long as you don't need major torque like a lug nut......has every screwdriver bit, torx, or Allen wrench ever invented.....has the necessary tools built in for an AR.....

Ain't cheap but nothing of value is.------006

Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

JimT wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:17 am The One (of many) Knife. I found this knife by Mossy Oak on Amazon. What sold me on it was one of the reviews I read. It went something like this:
- "This knife is well made with a full tang and a thick blade that will stand hard use. It holds an edge well and the handle is made of material that will not accept fingerprints. The knife is cheap enough that you can leave it stuck in someone's chest and buy another." -
That sold me! So I bought it.

IMG_0832.JPG
That would sell it to me !!
Well another vote for my Swiss Army knife.
Tough choice between my Kershaw or my Cold Steel
One I know makes the short list is my deer knife. A D2 tool steel blade, SS bolster, drop point 3/16 thick blade/full tang. About 5" blade that I put together. My buddies liked it so much I made each one . Good heft for the brisket, long enough to get around the good stuff on the back end.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Gunny, I like D2 steel, but I don't have a knife in that steel any bigger than a pocketknife. D2 holds an edge.
D. Brian Casady
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yes it does, almost as good as S30V. D2 easily holds an edge for 2, maybe 3 gut jobs before needing a touch up.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The top one. I'll start fires another way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Yes
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

piller wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:05 pm
jeepnik wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:02 pm Worked before when needed.
You can still buy those at Academy Sports and Outdoors.
But they are likely knock offs. Then again, since the USAF used the lowest bidder it might be better. But, this one and I have history.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

jeepnik, this one is made in the USA....

https://ontarioknife.com/collections/cl ... 7362565206

"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I'd be lost without my Leatherman. But for a tough-as-nails go-along blade, I would be tempted to choose this old Finn friend, a Lappland Puukko from Järvenpää. Ragweed Forge still carries them. The Finns know a thing or two about knives and the steel to make them from. Just ask the poor Soviet soldiers who tried to invade during the Winter War.

gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

I have a lot of knives, all sizes, all types, some expensive, some not, my go to knife since I "discovered" them is a cheap Morakniv..carbon steel,
For 10 to 15 dollars depending on model, you get a 59 rockwell hardened carbon steel 3 3/4" about blade, with a decent hold fast sheath that comes sharp as a scalpel.
If you need more knife than that get a small axe.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a few different Mora knives. Good knives. I am abit of a knife nut.
D. Brian Casady
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

I guess my choice would balance on weather I had an axe or hatchet along. If not , I just love a razor sharp Bowie. A little big for some jobs and a little small for others :)
I got one with a 7 1/2' blade and I bring along a double bit saddle axe. Can shave with either one.
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

One ain’t gonna cut it ! I’ve got a three blade Buck I carry in my pocket which suffices for daily stuff . But during hunting/fishing I need three others . First is a Buck two blade folder that has a drop point knife blade while the other blade is a saw with a gut hook in the end . That thing’ll skin and gut any deer I’ll kill . And for butchering and in the kitchen I’ve got a Victronix butcher knife with I think it’s a five inch kinda drop point blade and a Rapala short fillet knife . Used to say I needed the old Wm Beatty meat cleaver but I rarely use that anylonger .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Gerber Strongarm (patrol knife) this knife is built like a tank -- Spyderco Manix 2 lightweight... :)
ZHmXm6o.jpg
spyderco_manix2_lightweight-7873.jpg
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Thinking alike ;-)