Perhaps most of you know this .. (error on Spanish Flu Corrected)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Perhaps most of you know this .. (error on Spanish Flu Corrected)

Post by JimT »

but pandemics are nothing new. History is full of them. While not a pleasant a topic as leverguns and shooting, it does show that what the world is experiencing it has experienced before. Unfortunately I find a lot of the younger generation don't seem to pay a lot of attention to history.

Some Pandemics in History

Plague of Athens: 430 B.C. - lasted 5 years .. killed perhaps 100,000

Antonine Plague: A.D. 165-180 ... killed over 5 million in the Roman Empire.

Plague of Cyprian: A.D. 250-271 ... 5000 people a day were dying in the city of Rome at the height of this plague

Plague of Justinian: A.D. 541-542 .... bubonic plague that killed up to 10% of the world's population ..

The Black Death: 1346-1353 ... killed half of Europe's population

Cocoliztli epidemic: 1545-1548 ... killed 15 million inhabitants of Mexico and Central America ..

Great Plague of London: 1665-1666

Great Plague of Marseille: 1720-1723

Russian plague: 1770-1772
(the above 3 plagues killed hundreds of thousands by most estimates)

Philadelphia yellow fever epidemic: 1793 - killed 10% of the city population in 4 months

Flu pandemic: 1889-1890 - killed nearly a million people around the world

Spanish Flu: 1918-1920 ..estimated 500 million people caught the Spanish Flu and possibly close to 100 million them died.

Asian Flu: 1957-1958 .. killed close to a million people

H1N1 Swine Flu pandemic: 2009-2010 .. killed between several hundred thousand and 1/2 million
Last edited by JimT on Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Perhaps most of you know this ..

Post by piller »

If our noose media were honest, they might compare what is going on now to what has been and find that it was perhaps worse in the past.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

It's true, but we're supposed to be smarter now, i.e., more knowledgeable about how to handle these things.

Personally, I don't see the progress.

:roll: :lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Well, gress is the latin for step, and pro is someone who does certain acts for money, so progress is only allowed to happen if someone makes money.
D. Brian Casady
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

WHAT ????
Pandemics have happened before :shock:
Now lets talk about global warming, how did those fossils of ferns get to the artic, because that has never happened before either. :D

From the Star Wars movie " IT'S A TRAP " :lol:
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

There is some serious fudging going on here. The Spanish flu, an H1N1 variant like a later one that killed my own WWII combat-vet father, infected half a billion, but killed from 17 to 50 million or more. It may have gotten its start at or near Fort Riley, KS. A hallmark was that it killed the young and "healthy." If you think I am a lying ***, then read Elmer Keith's account in "Hell, I was There."
Let's have facts and not phony Internet fake BS as we negotiate this current mess, on top of all our other messes.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Our current pandemic is a pandemic of pusillanimity, specifically manifesting as Trump Derangement Syndrome.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I don't think politics should have anything to do with medicine, but then I am just a poor civilian/American citizen.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:54 pm There is some serious fudging going on here. The Spanish flu, an H1N1 variant like a later one that killed my own WWII combat-vet father, infected half a billion, but killed from 17 to 50 million or more. It may have gotten its start at or near Fort Riley, KS. A hallmark was that it killed the young and "healthy." If you think I am a lying ***, then read Elmer Keith's account in "Hell, I was There."
Let's have facts and not phony Internet fake BS as we negotiate this current mess, on top of all our other messes.
Bill ... Nothing phony about what I posted BUT I did make a serious error when typing. Some who study such things as the Spanish Flu feel that possibly 100 million died. It was my mistake .. not fake anything. I have corrected that.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Perhaps most of you know this .. (error on Spanish Flu Corrected)

Post by Larkbill »

One of the large problems as I see it is that we think we are so smart and advanced that too many of the "scientists" made stuff up instead of saying "I don't know". Sometimes that's the only correct answer.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I think the human race is a plague on the Earth and Mother Nature keeps trying to get rid of it. The human race has become an "Antibiotic Resistant" disease on the Earth, but Mother Nature keep trying... :shock: :D
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That could be. I am not the ONE who has final say in such things.
D. Brian Casady
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Mother Nature keeps trying to get rid of...

You're close. Actually, Mother Nature doesn't really care. Either you're successful at life, and you live. If not, you die. That's as simple as it gets.

Current virus has been v. successful at getting its hosts to spread it around. Hosts live long enough to do so.

Ebola is barely successful, only because it's aggressively infectious. Otherwise it kills its host before spreading.

All in all we've been pretty good at adapting at all the environments on this pale blue speck.

However, if the corona virus numbers we tweaked, say three incubation and 50-60% fatal, we'd be gone in a matter of months.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

mikld wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:42 am I think the human race is a plague on the Earth and Mother Nature keeps trying to get rid of it. The human race has become an "Antibiotic Resistant" disease on the Earth, but Mother Nature keep trying... :shock: :D
Mike, we think alike.... :shock: :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.