Deer Hunting and the 2nd Amendment

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Deer Hunting and the 2nd Amendment

Post by Old No7 »

With full disclosure...
While my twin and other brothers have several each, I don't own any MSR (modern sporting rifles) of any make, by any acronyms you'd care to use. The lack of walnut, and the presence of cold molded plastic just lacks any "soul" (to me) and I have no interest in them at all. I'm also amazed by those who think nothing about blasting 20 or 30 rounds at a 10" bull at fifty yards -- as fast as they can shoot -- and are thrilled with a grouping so large you could fit an American football in it. They're not for me, sorry... I'm more interested in trying to get 3 rounds to all cut into the same caliber-sized hole out at 50 or 100 yards, based on the optics and rifle used.

But I do and will defend other gunowner's rights to own and use them responsibly (key word).

That said, the "runamuck blasters" over in the sand pit near me haven't helped the local gun club with our public relations any, as local folks think it's all coming from our range; I'm a gun owner, hunter and shooter, and even I have to admit it's just too much at times (too many rounds, shot too fast); and I can easily see how non gun-owners would be afraid of that and think "all gunowners" are like that and that's all we want to do.

Anyway, this is perhaps the best meme I've seen on the topic of Deer Hunting and the 2nd Amendment, as it pertains to Modern Sporting Rifles.

Old No7

2nd Amend - Deer.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Deer Hunting and the 2nd Amendment

Post by gamekeeper »

More people these days seem to be upset by gunfire, I found that out when I fired my dealers VZ 61 Scorpion fully auto in the chalk pit I usually shoot my .22 LR in... :lol:
Nether the less I agree no matter what choice of firearm anybody legally chooses I have always supported their right to own and use that firearm. When we lost our Handguns quite a few non handgun owning shooters did nothing to support our cause but it was refreshing to see all sorts of genuine shooters ( some even from abroad ) marching with us in London on all the protest marches I went on.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Our Founders did not have to defend their lives against deer.

Since high volume word attack machines such as the internet had not been invented, how can the First Amendment apply to them if the Second Amendment does not apply to semiautomatic commonly used rifles?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Yeah - I hear the ridiculous arguments about the 2nd Amendment and deer hunting.

The 2nd Amendment was created to ensure that the average American Joe could defend himself
against other human beings who would oppress him.

That's it - dead simple. It has nothing to do with target shooting, collecting, deer hunting
or anything else. You'd think people who could read would get that.

-Stretch
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

And the truth is, those rifles are VERY common in the deer woods these days too. And more so every year.
Many youngsters use them because of adjustable stocks and the adaptability. There is a good chance as these folks age, they will continue using them.
Another factor (until recently) is cost. These rifles have been much cheaper than blue steel and walnut rifles. And let's face it, most bolt actions if the last 20 years have been matte black with plastic furniture.

Not taking issue with anyone. Just observation.
Last edited by OldWin on Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

stretch wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:08 pm
That's it - dead simple. It has nothing to do with target shooting, collecting, deer hunting
or anything else. You'd think people who could read would get that. -Stretch
Yes, 100% agree Stretch.... but.......WE know that along with anyone with half a brain.....this illegal trash they let into the country does not know that and our young people don't know that because it's no longer taught by the schools or a high percentage of parents, not to mention a fake news media that constantly berates Conservatism.

Yep....we all here have an uphill battle and it's OUR duty to educate others as much as possible as to the truth....I'm 66 and have always had to defend this right since I was little.....I have books written long before I was born that also describes our battle....

May the Good Lord bless President Donald Trump.----6
Model A Uzi’s
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

piller wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:25 pm Our Founders did not have to defend their lives against deer.

Since high volume word attack machines such as the internet had not been invented, how can the First Amendment apply to them if the Second Amendment does not apply to semiautomatic commonly used rifles?
That's a great point!

And I always tell non-gunners -- who try to tell me I should "Give up your guns" whenever there's a mass shooting --
"Maybe, but only after you give up your smart phone or flip phones and we all go back to using phone booths because of all the traffic accidents caused by texting and phone misuse..."

That usually make them stop and THINK...

But since that isn't their STRONG SUIT, they still end up being dolts at the end of the conversation...

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'm pretty sure I'll "blood" my AR-15 in 50 Beowulf this year, just because I CAN... :D

I prefer leverguns for practicality, and the 'pistol calibers' are perfect for Indiana, but. . . so is the 50 Beowulf.

After all, I used a 500 S&W Levergun last year, and it made a nice big hole you can 'eat right up to', with no meat loss, and the 50 Beowulf is pretty much the 500 S&W ballistically, just in a semiauto-style cartridge.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

The 2nd Amendment was written to cover all the bases.

A man has a right to keep and bear arms so that he can protect his person, protect his family and property, and do his part to defend his neighbors and country. Protecting family and property involved subsistence and depredation hunting. A fellow has to eat and sometimes drive predators away so that he can continue to eat.

But mostly is was written so that men would be able to defend their hard won liberty from the depredations of tyrannical government which would attempt to deny all of those things to free men.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

FWiedner wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:36 pm The 2nd Amendment was written to cover all the bases.

A man has a right to keep and bear arms so that he can protect his person, protect his family and property, and do his part to defend his neighbors and country. Protecting family and property involved subsistence and depredation hunting. A fellow has to eat and sometimes drive predators away so that he can continue to eat.

But mostly is was written so that men would be able to defend their hard won liberty from the depredations of tyrannical government which would attempt to deny all of those things to free men.

:)
A very concise explanation that makes perfect sense... :)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yeah, when the founders were debating the wording of the Bill of Rights, which is concerned with the timeless balance of power between citizen and government, LibTards actually believe that Bubba in the back row raised his hand and said "....hey, how bout you put another of them mendment thingies in there what sez me & Billy-Bob can hunt deer....just so long as we only use guns 'designed for sporting purposes'...???"

Amazing how stupid some people are - and depressing that they VOTE.... :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "