Model 94 feeding issue

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tolucajo
Levergunner

Model 94 feeding issue

Post by Tolucajo »

Hey Everyone, Need advice or guidance
I have a pre 64 model 94 chambered in 30-30. When chambering a round it takes “effort” to close the bolt, as I am closing the lever at the end of chambering the round at around .2” prior to closing the chamber, if that make sense. As I open the bolt to review the unfired round. The bullet sinks putting the overall length to 2.35” on average. On my reloads, it’s a 110 grain speer flat nosed bullet with an OAL 2.45”. Brass is fully resized either unfired or once fired. I’ve fully disassembled the rifle. Cleaned and took a chamber brush to it. Rifle is spotless and clean throughout. I did not see any obstructions. I went to the gun club, chambered rounds and still has the issue. By simply cycling the lever, everything appears fine and smooth. I cautiously shot a few rounds through and shoots fine and accurate. It’s the last 2/10 of an inch closing the bolt takes effort. Any ideas? Effort means a very firm hand shake to close the lever.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Model 94 feeding issue

Post by Tycer »

I would suspect the ejector. I’ve had one spring bind an break the ejector shaft the spring rides on.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Oh! Hey! Welcome to the fire! Pull up a stump and grab a cup.
There’s folks on here with way more experience than me. We’ll get your problem sorted out.
Kind regards,
Tycer
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

....seat the bullet deeper .015 or until it chambers........the ogive is hitting the rifling.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Hi & Welcome

If the OAL goes from 2.45 to 2.35 i would seat the bullet less than 2.35, does the cartridge chamber
easier on the 2nd try? i ve had enough 94s to know their is no standard on the lead on them
for me the pre 64s are less for giving than the ones built in the 70s or later on cartridge OAL

Brad ------------- Six was faster than me :D
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Welcome to the fire. This is the place to be for anything levergun.

The guys above got your problem covered, I'd say.
Is the brand of bullet you are using the same as your loading manual / info?
You can mark up a bullet with a sharpie so when it's chambered you can see if it's starting into the rifling.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Image and Welcome to THE Forum.

What length is your brass trimmed to?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Totally missed the part where his bowl it was seating deeper
Kind regards,
Tycer
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yes! What Steve said. I meant to mention that.
When I size a case, before doing a whole mess of them I drop one in the chamber to see that it easily seats all the way. I got doing this because I usually have multiple rifles in the same chambering.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Tolucajo
Levergunner

Post by Tolucajo »

This is probably one of the things I like about the internet, sharing knowledge! That's how it used to be when I was young! I do not care for: social injustice media, fairy tales and "fake" journalists. Back to my issue, thanks for everyone's feedback. The community saved me a trip to the gunsmith. Yes, that's the speer 110 grain I load with. Yes, with a dummy round it loads just fine with just a squeeze for the extractor which I'll probably switch out. Yes, the lever is easier to work after the bullet being compressed. The squeeze of the lever is similar to a brief, but slightly firm handshake. It that makes sense. Is it worth changing the extractor/spring? Here's the specs: I trim brass to 2.26" For the Speer FNSP 110 bullet OAL: 2.4" with the OGIVE at: 2.15" which loads comfortably. For a Sierra RNFB 110 bullet OAL: 2.47" with the Ogive at: 2.15" This round loads easier than the flat nose. What are the thought on reload the 110gr FNSP bullet to 2.35" with IMR 4064 at 34 grains? Would that be a compressed load to worry much about pressure? Would there be a concern loading shorter rounds racking the lever?
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I believe the others are on the right path. Just as an insurance have you tried a factory round in it? I cast and reload my own but I still have a couple boxes of factory laying around. If the issue persists then gun , if not then cartridge issue.
Welcome and pictures are always enjoyed.
PS keep a hand on your wallet around these guys no they won’t try to steal it but they(we?) will find ways of convincing you what you NEED.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I use to load this bullet in my 94.
Yes you have to seat it deeper. Its ogive is tooo stumpy for the standard 30/30chambering.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Tolucajo wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:20 pm What are the thought on reload the 110gr FNSP bullet to 2.35" with IMR 4064 at 34 grains? Would that be a compressed load to worry much about pressure? Would there be a concern loading shorter rounds racking the lever?
This is not a powder/bullet combination I have ever loaded so I have no first-hand knowledge. I did look at this load using the "QuickLoad" software. QL thinks that using that 34 grain 4064 load would give 27k psi if using the standard 2.55" COAL and that dropping to the 2.35" COAL would raise the pressure to 32k psi, still nicely below SAAMI spec of 42k psi max pressure in the 30/30. This is just a software "guess" which you would not take to the bank as far as actual pressures, but I'd expect that the 5k psi increase from the deeper seating is pretty close to accurate.

If this load gives you a light or slight level of compression using your cases this should not be an issue. I avoid such heavy compression that it could distort the loaded round or cause the seated bullet to creep forward after loading. And the shorter rounds are not an issue when racking the lever so long as they feed reasonably smoothly and your cartridge-stop is functioning correctly to keep the cartridge ahead from trying to get onto the carrier along with the one your are intending to chamber.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry