Hmmm, should I or shouldn't I

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Hmmm, should I or shouldn't I

Post by GunnyMack »

Just learned of an estate sale, the gentleman ran a trap & skeet range and has MEC machines in every gauge, wads, primers, hulls etc for $500 OBO. I could use 20ga, maybe the 28ga a dedicated 410 for either 2&1/2 or 3in maybe as well.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Hmmm, should I or shouldn't I

Post by piller »

You might try. If you want just the 20, 28, and .410, then sell off the 12 gauge stuff and cut away at your total cost.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Gunny,
As the "go to" guy for unloading unwanted gun supplies and reloading equipment all I can say is there has to be a simple formula as to dollars vs cents. Gunshops will give around 10-15 cents on the dollar of what they can sell it for....easily.

I used to give guys around a quarter to 35 cents depending on the desirability of such items. NOBODY wants outdated equipment or 28 ga. stuff....it's a hard sale......

Buy it at .20 on the dollar, keep what you want for yourself and drop the rest off at the auction house. In my experience I usually get lots of good stuff free and get my money back, sometimes with a bit left over to buy a gun. Is it all worth the hassle? I don't do it anymore......I must have 10 powder measures and pretty much any kind of brass and dies known to man. Have complete progressive machines that are sitting, even a like new police purchased humongous Hollywood press that was never used...sitting.....many presses of every vintage complete with shellholders, like the old Herters....couple of hundred quality moulds....

Remember all that shotgun stuff I had a couple of years ago? Something like 10,000 empties of every gauge..half dozen MECs, dozens of screw in chokes, must have been $3500 worth of stuff....sold it for 5. Wasn't worth the hassle.

When you go to sell this stuff, people beat you down. I found myself using my time to better other people......

It all boils down to "if there is stuff you really want and is hard to get through regular channels, get it but don't pay much.

Still waiting for the auction houses to start up...I have a truckload of stuff to move.----006
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I called the son and left a message.
Primers, powders, wads I can certainly use. Now I load 410, 28 & 12. I could use 20 but how much skeet do I shoot, not much! The big thing is shot, how much did he have ? That is a hot commodity! 40 bucks a bag for good stuff!!
Have to wait on a return phone call..
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Got a phone call, going to go meet Monday. He said a keg of 296 & green dot ( not sure if 4 or 8 lbs) , 5000 plus primers, wads to choke a libertard, hulls by the 55 gallon drum! Some shot.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Big 10-4 on the shot. I was all but out of shotgun reloading mostly because of the cost of shot. Then I inherited 100 lbs of #8 magnum so I guess "every time I think I'm out, they pull me back in". I sold my 20 ga. MEC but still have a Load All II in case I can't find any bargains.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Does he have 10 and 16 as well ? At the present I’ve got way WAY more shotgun loaders than a rational human would need . I’ve got MEC 9000’s for 12 , 16 , 20 , 28 and 410 multiples in the 12 and 28 . Have a pair of Grabbers in 28 and 410 . A 650 12 just sold my lightly used 650 16 to a friend . Sizemaster for the 10 a Steelmaster for 12 3” and JR’s for 8 , 10 , 12 , 16 , 20 and 410 . I use the single stage for buck , slugs and bismuth . I had a JR 28 I wish I had back since I started loading buck and slugs for the 28 but the Grabber gets the job done . About the only shotgun loaders is even want would be progressive’s for the 8 and 10 .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I don't think 10&16 but if so I'll let ya know!
I'm kinda thinking about keeping the 20 press, maybe a 28, and the 410( so I can keep one setup for 2&1/2 one for 3".
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey 6pt,
Screenshot_20201026-064849_Samsung Internet.jpg
Not sure if you saw this or not!?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

So I now have a MEC grabber in 410,28,20 & 12 plus a couple 650s. Wads for everything, hulls- a 55 gallon drum of once fired AAs, another of AA 20s. 5 of the old cardboard powder kegs full of 410 hulls. A couple hundred pounds of lead, parts & peices for the machines, 8lbs of green dot, 296, 2 open of each, as well as some other powders. Sure I'm forgetting something!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Excellent acquisition :wink:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:51 am Hey 6pt,Screenshot_20201026-064849_Samsung Internet.jpg
Not sure if you saw this or not!?
Noted and messages left :wink:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

In the mix of everything that I just got are 2 8ga hulls. Remington industrial with the extra step on the head. Going in the collection!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:28 am In the mix of everything that I just got are 2 8ga hulls. Remington industrial with the extra step on the head. Going in the collection!
Thanks for the heads up on the 8 gauge stuff on GI , that stuff is coming my way as soon as he gets the funds !

Think I also have 500 nice new WIN 8 gauge hulls coming back across the pond from the UK !

So my punt gun for liberals will be well stocked :lol: :lol: :lol:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

GREAT! Glad to be of service!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:04 pm So I now have a MEC grabber in 410,28,20 & 12 plus a couple 650s. Wads for everything, hulls- a 55 gallon drum of once fired AAs, another of AA 20s. 5 of the old cardboard powder kegs full of 410 hulls. A couple hundred pounds of lead, parts & peices for the machines, 8lbs of green dot, 296, 2 open of each, as well as some other powders. Sure I'm forgetting something!
So you have a winters day of sorting and condensing. I just spent an hour depriming and re-priming about 67 410 hull with Lee 410 hand tool I found at a show.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

3legg, do you remember when Hercules put 8 lbs cardboard kegs on the market ? This load of supplies has 4 of those kegs full of 410 hulls!!
Wads!! Have I got wads! 410,28,20 &12. 3 good size boxes and a drum liner bag full of wads!!
New un opened 8 pounder of green dot, another about half gone. New 8 of 296, another about 2/3 gone. Herco, a can of black, 700x.
5000 + Winchester 209's.
Where am I gonna put all this stuff ? :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:47 pm 3legg, do you remember when Hercules put 8 lbs cardboard kegs on the market ? This load of supplies has 4 of those kegs full of 410 hulls!!
Wads!! Have I got wads! 410,28,20 &12. 3 good size boxes and a drum liner bag full of wads!!
New un opened 8 pounder of green dot, another about half gone. New 8 of 296, another about 2/3 gone. Herco, a can of black, 700x.
5000 + Winchester 209's.
Where am I gonna put all this stuff ? :lol:
You can put the Green Dot the 296 and the 209’s at my house !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

6pt, I will use the 296 for sure. The green dot I need to do some research and find data for 12 ga, not sure if it will work for bunker loads of 24 gram stuff.
209s well those aren't going anywhere! :D was even a 1000 Reminghton 57s ( 209s) might use those in the 410.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Those 209s, as you know, also work in most of the modern inline muzzleloaders. Some people might be in need of the 209s for their early season hunting. I have plenty for my needs, but some people don't plan ahead.
D. Brian Casady
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

If the Win. AA trap hulls are once fired 12 ga. they get about .5 cents ea. around here. They're the favorite case for anyone wanting to reload shotgun.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yes I use 209s in my muzzle loader too but I usually use 5000/ year shooting targets.

The 12 ga hulls ill keep, probably sell the 20s.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:15 am 6pt, I will use the 296 for sure. The green dot I need to do some research and find data for 12 ga, not sure if it will work for bunker loads of 24 gram stuff.
209s well those aren't going anywhere! :D was even a 1000 Reminghton 57s ( 209s) might use those in the 410.
I’ve started keeping Green Dot on my shelf it worked pretty well for some moderate 12 gauge target/bird loads . Only reason I got it in the first place was when it was difficult to get stuff during the Obamite years . At the time I was buying anything that looked like it would meet my parameters . I’ve been loading 296 for about forty years in the 410 . And of course it works very well in the 357 and 44 Mag .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I see green dot works in 12, figure ill use that for ZZ bird loads. Or zombies :lol:
296/H110 I found 1 load for 28 ga in the BP manual. I like 800x but if it works ill use it for 410 & 28.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

We used Green Dot for years with 1 oz 8's for doves or 1 1/8 of 7 1/2's for crows in our 12 gauges. It served us well.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:31 pm I see green dot works in 12, figure ill use that for ZZ bird loads. Or zombies :lol:
296/H110 I found 1 load for 28 ga in the BP manual. I like 800x but if it works ill use it for 410 & 28.
I don’t really differentiate between loads other than shot size . However when I went on a shotgun loading binge a couple months ago I ended up with 12 gauge loads that were 3/4 , 7/8 , 1 and 1 1/8 ounces . That started out as a way to get rid of some components I’d acquired in buys like yours and then after messing with them a bit I bought more wads so at present I keep six or seven different 12 gauge wads .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I could’ve gotten four 8 pounders of 296 four or five years ago at less than dealer cost from a retired skeet shooting friend that was giving up skeet . Think he had the 4 of 296 and 4 of Unique . I got two of the Unique and one 296 , now I wish I’d bought all the Unique and 296 .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

It’s kinda profound thirtyfive years ago I didn’t particularly care for Hercules/Alliant powders and didn’t keep much of it . Now I’ve got a goodly supply of Unique , Red Dot , Green Dot , Blue Dot , Herco and Promo for shotguns as well as just about all of the Reloader rifle powders .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

When I started my trap shooting Red Dot was the first powder I got. All the old timers all said HiSkor 700x was THE powder to use, to this day I still use 700x in my everyday load. Funny, I used to shoot with quite a few people that worked for Hercules when the plant was still here in NJ.
Ill use the Herco , I think for 1¹/⁸ loads for ZZ bird ammo.

6 or 7 bags of 28 wads, 5 1oz 12 ga wads, 3 or 4 1¹/⁸ wads, 3 bags of 410s - im pretty well set for wads now!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Hercules used to have the contract to run an Army ammunition plant in Northeast Kansas. They made propellant for artillery and tanks. They did not make any propellants used in handguns or shoulder fired weapons as far as I know. Production has moved somewhere else and it is closed down now.
D. Brian Casady
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:33 am When I started my trap shooting Red Dot was the first powder I got. All the old timers all said HiSkor 700x was THE powder to use, to this day I still use 700x in my everyday load.
When I first started loading shotguns I pretty much used Winchester powders exclusively 452AA for all 12 loads , 473AA for all the 20’s , 540 for the 28 and 296 of course for the 410 . Later when they did away with the two AA powders I went to WIN SL and ST for the 12 as well as SF for the 20 . Never ever ever liked 700X or 800X but there were plenty that did !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Got the last of the stuff yesterday, 2 drums of once fired AAs, 1 is 12 ga the other are 20ga. Also got the remaining presses.
Last night I set up the 28, loaded 1 round. 410 1 round.
Today I loaded a box of 410s,28s and 2 boxes of 20s.
These machines are setup well!
20201102_144055.jpg
20201101_110531.jpg
In the mix is a Grabber 12, a 650 20 and a 600 28. Im going to post these on the classified page.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!