Danners

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Danners

Post by 6pt-sika »

I bought a pair of 800 gram camo Danners and recieved them today . After wearing Rocky or LaCrosse rubber up to the knee boots the last twenty to thirty years these things seem as light as a feather . They’re not leather for sure and nope they weren’t made in the USA and I got some sort of dealer discount so they stayed below the cost I was hoping for . They oughtta be fine for preserve and driven birding as well as some deer sitting .
F243B87E-2280-461D-863E-0643A0DE009B.jpeg
12AE78B5-AC45-4CE3-BDC8-87E250929279.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Danners

Post by 6pt-sika »

Incidentally this is the first pair of Danners I ever bought . I hope they do as well as I’m hoping .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Used to be the only boot I wore then they started being made overseas, the fit wasn't what it was and I stopped buying them. Ive tried most of the major brands, best boot I've found is Wesco. Only problem is the pair o have are just leather. NOT a winter boot! Took about a month to break in but boy are they comfortable. Rebuilding them is a cinch by sending them back.

Good luck with those Danners!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

No pix for you, but many years ago, i bought a pair of insulated hi top leather Danners and they are still my best boot. Not warm weather , but best in winter. Daughter has a pair also. They may last forever.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
mack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mack »

I have a pair of Danner Pronghorns, a few years old. I think they are the 400g insulated, and thought they were US made. They have stood up well, comfortable, fit good and are reasonably warm. Good boots for the woods, well made but not really a work boot. For work I wear Wesco Jobmasters, best boot made IMHO.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I started buying Danner boots when they were in a tiny hole in the wall shop here in Portland, Or. many decades ago! They were the most comfortable, well made boots around. And every pair was almost custom fit as you'd go in and he'd trace your feet before he started making them.
Still bought them up until LaCrosse bought them in 1994. I got my last pair when I heard about the sale of Danner, and I've still got them today. The uppers are as good as they were when new, but they need new soles. Contemplated going out to the Danner repair store here, and see if they still put new soles on, but haven't done it yet.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Back in the Army, Danner made a boot especially for a unit at Ft. Lewis, WA. They were called the Go Devil boot. Insulated and waterproofed with Gore Tex. I never bought any because they were kind of expensive, but the soldiers who had them were happy.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

a lot better if you wear them with PANTS :)
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

One of the advantages of living near the Danner factory was going to their outlet store! They had overruns, and blems that you couldn't find what the blemish was, and prices 50% off! The pair I've got still after 26 yrs. cost me $108 back in 1994, and was $220 full priced then. I only bought one expensive pair, and that was when he had the tiny little shop just blocks from my house. Later I always bought from the outlet store.
Tried to find a image of the old Danner repair shop near me back in the 80's, but seems there's no images to find. It makes me chuckle whenever I drive by the building and see it.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

I own two pairs of Danners - both USA made models.

two or three years ago I bought a pair of Crater Rim boots. They are great boots, and I wear them frequently, but the rubber protective rand pretty quickly separated from the leather in high stress areas. I could probably get them fixed under warranty.

about a year ago, I bought a pair of Rainforest boots . These boots are AMAZING. best boots I've ever owned by far. I wear them when I cut wood, hike, do trailwork, etc. VERY high quality, tough, sturdy, waterproof boots. If these ever wear out I WILL be buying more of these.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Back when I kept setters and actually pursued wild game birds I wore Browning Featherweight boots . They were quite comfortable and don’t remmember them being overly heavy however I was a good bit younger then . I also used Red Wings often although more as boots for work . As to the made in the USA angle I agree it should be followed when practical but if it comes to paying several hundred dollars MORE for something I’ll use maybe a dozen times a year uh NO .
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I never considered my older Danners to be heavy until I held a pair of lightweights in my hands! Now at 70 yrs. old, the weight of a pair of boots is much more noticeable than it was decades ago!
I was never a fan of molded soles, as they can't be re-soled like stitched soles can. But there's no way to make a truly lightweight boot and not form the soles, so I've given in to them now.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I have a pair of Danners that have an ungodly number of miles on them. Had them resoled about 8 years ago and they are about due for another. While just leather I have always used Snow Seal on them and they are plenty waterproof unless you are standing in water.

Eric
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well I’m gonna take my new Danners for a test sit in the treestand Saturday morning for the first morning of the Virginia ML season .