Tractor Rebuild Begins

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Tractor Rebuild Begins

Post by Griff »

Or... more accurately the tear-down continues! Got started on it on Tues... the day most of my needed parts arrived. It's an early production 1965 Ford 3000 farm tractor. Guess what, Ford changed the majority of the brake parts in November of '66... everyone seems to sell the later version brake parts. The new drums will work, but the newer style backing plates and shoe attachment kit won't! So have to send the old style shoes I got back. My backing plates are shot... the dust shield that goes around the outside of the drum is completely rusted away. Got the 1st axle (right side) out yesterday and the 2nd today.

The right side was easy, except for the 55 year old bolt being painted over and rusted... But, with the help of a 40" breaker bar and then the ½" impact, they all came out. On the left side, 3 of the studs spun and had to be cut off!
DSCN1297.JPG
Got the axle out... WOW, talk about beefy! Shafts are 1-¾" in diameter! And this is for just a 47 PTO hp tractor! The nut that holds the wheel bearing in place is 2-¾"!!! And it'll take a socket that's over 27" long to reach it... or some specialized Ford tool!
DSCN1302.JPG
DSCN1300.JPG
So off to the dealer they go! The seal race for the PTO is worn so much that the seal... well... just won't! Awaiting a call back to see if they still do this work!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Tractor Rebuild Begins

Post by M. M. Wright »

We, (19 year old son and I) are in the midst of doing an "in frame" on our back hoe. It's an Allis 180 to start with but was factory modified to a 918 hoe. We've got all the parts in and everything we pulled off is out of the Caustic Soda vat and ready to be assembled.
Yesterday's Tractors and Abilene Machine are you friends. Our using tractor is an Allis 170 with the 4 cylinder Perkins diesel. Great tractor!
I put a clutch in a Ford 3000 once and replaced the PTO shaft in another.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Those old tractors were built like TANKS...!

How many other machines that are 50-100 years old actually still work...???

Guns often do. Tractors often do. Sometimes Trucks do. Not a whole lot else.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Looks like fun. Reminds me that I need to tear into the PTO clutch on the 460 utility. It doesn't disengage.
shasta_steve
Levergunner 1.0

Post by shasta_steve »

Cool I spent a lot of time on tractors like that when I was a kid. I just sold an early 50's model 8N the other day. I really would of loved to keep it but just no where to use it anymore.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Sure is a big undertaking by you and the boy......55 years of rust is not much different than someone welding it on....I call it "rust welded".

I do have confidence in completing the job in top condition. Your a guy who has managed to keep the Black Rose on the road for over a million miles....I'm impressed...

After the paint job make sure you have it clear coated. Use all new hoses, tires, brake/hydraulic lines etc as when I come down to pick it up, I don't want no hassles when I use it in parades....----your pal----6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice! Glad you are fixing her up Griff.
It may be only 47hp, but the torque load from the gear reduction is huge! That, and they built stuff to hold up and last back in the day.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The only hoses I haven't found to specifically fit this model are the air intake hoses. But, they should be available as standard size items. Most of intake system is 2", I'll have to measure the carb inlet tho'.

I'll only be replacing one tire... as the others have been replaced recently. Which do you think I should use tho'?
Original wheels:
DSCN1299.JPG
or the new ones:
DSCN1298.JPG
That tire above is the one left to replace... It's pretty badly dry rotted and doesn't hold air. And is about half full of anti-freeze... cheap wheel weights! I won't be putting any back in, as the only this I'll use this tractor for is to haul a sickle bar mower... maybe the 5' brush hog from time to time...

I'm also planning replacing the front wheels with the wider version, 5.5" wide vs. 4.5"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

She's a beauty Griff....curious..how much something like that set ya back..5?...

Is that a "deep dish" or does the blue cover fit over it"

I'd prefer it if you had the wheels chrome plated with blue pin stripping to match the color of the tractor......it'll show up real nice at the 4th of July parade. ---6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

See now there is a project worth doing! Good quality steel that doesn't rust weld ! Keep on wrenching and when its done you'll be proud of it, just like the guys that put it together in '66 were!
We need before & after pics !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

AJMD429 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:56 pm Those old tractors were built like TANKS...!

How many other machines that are 50-100 years old actually still work...???
The two steam traction engines I used to own are still going ! The first and larger one was made in 1914 and a friend still has it . I reflued it when I got it in 1981 after I sold it my friend poured new Babbitt bearings for the rear axles and he reflued it again about five years ago . The smaller traction made in 1915 was kinda running when I sold it but the Amish fellow in Lancaster PA I traded it to replaced the boiler and now it’s a very nice engine . The one I recluse was a touch over 8 tons the smaller just over 7 tons . They were fun when I was younger now my ambition isn’t there to keep them functional .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Griff there is a place out of Michigan that sell parts for older Ford tractors. I don't remember the name of the place but they do you tube video's and their last name is Gingell. It's a father and daughter business. Looks like you have a good start on your tear down. I heed to split mine to replace an eight dollar trans seal and check the clutch to see if it's oil soaked from the leak. I just have to decide how I'm getting it back home since it's at my hunting property and can't drive it back because the leak is that bad.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Spent a lot of hours on my uncle's '49 Ford 8N tractor, and since I wasn't old enough to drive yet I thought it was the greatest! Looks like a fun project!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Neat project! I've been looking for a smaller tractor just to shred roads with, my john deere is way too big. I saw an 8n for sale and went to look at it...wheels were rusted clean through, and most every thing else. It would not start, and walking away the guy says 500 cash, I passed. My cuz traded 2 round bales for a good running 8n. The rusted 8n is gone now.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

A while back, a few months actually, I gave a pretty nice 8N to a Grandson just because I had 5 tractors. No one needs 5 tractors. How many batteries are in all my vehicles? He has a small acreage and needs a tractor and brush hog so I gave him one.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS