Ramping up for a New Project

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Ramping up for a New Project

Post by Griff »

I got teased a LOT at my last cowboy action shoot for how long I took to shoot the match... Hey! Last place ain't for sissies... While everyone else is shootin' as fast as they can... sometimes even accurately, I tend to go slow, use my sights ALL the time, and interrupt myself by asking the Timer Operator questions during my shooting string... My internal chronograph ain't real accurate, as I try to complete most stages in about 60 seconds... Even ones the fast guys are shooting in 15 or so seconds.

During a weak moment at the awards ceremony, (where they didn't even acknowledge last place), I got waylaid into agreeing to actually shoot for speed at next year's match. So... in pursuit of that goal, I'm gonna partake in some sinnin' over the next 11 months and actually practice shooting faster. To that goal, I'm gonna build me a new competition rifle to go along with the mods I've had done to my 1851 Colt Belt Models... (wire bolt & trigger spring & Ruger coil spring and plunger for the hand). My shotgun is a TTN 1878 clone that's already been slicked up to my needs, (polished chamber, lightened release lever spring and general polishing of mating surfaces).

The rifle is where I spend the majority of my time, and it's because I use a nearly stock Uberti Henry in 45 Colt. The only "go-fast" parts I have are wire lever & carrier springs. So, I'm going to order a new Uberti Henry in 45 Colt, install a new carrier to accommodate the short Cowboy45Special round that Adirondack Jack developed and a "short stroke" kit to replace the links and shorten the lever throw. Since that 24-¼" barrel is heavy, I've got a 18" version on back-order from VTI. It only holds 8+1 of standard 45 Colt, hence the shortened, trick carrier.

Since I know I'm capable of shooting these same stages in the mid to high 20s, using Colt SAAs, a stock lever throw 18-½" 1873 and the same shotgun, I think the rifle improvements will put me in the same or very slightly longer range, maybe high 20 to mid 30s shooting my 1851s single handed. I'm certain the single most improvement will be NOT stopping mid stage to talk to folks!

I currently use the C45S in my Colt SAAs with a light, 160 grain bullet without any problems. I'm hopeful the short barreled Henry (carbine length) will provide some accuracy without going to my regular 200 grain projectile I currently use in the rifle.

Yes, I could just simply shoot faster if I stopped talking, but since I'll be competing in the very new Cap & Ball Gunfighter category, I probably won't rise above the middle of the pack using black powder and the C & B pistols. But, there were 10 of us in this category this year, and I'd like to see a podium finish next year!

Yes, I could just modify my current Henry... but, since I just know you enablers would try to talk me into a new gun... I'll put that to rest real quick by going ahead and add another "needed" gun to the safe!

Any naysayers?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ramping up for a New Project

Post by OldWin »

I think we are going to need a video!

Wanna see Griff "Rock and Roll"! :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

A friend took a video of me at a stage this year... I haven't seen it yet, but... it'd be fun to post the two side by side for a comparison!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ray wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:12 pmDid you ever get the paterson's working properly ?
One, the other is a complete thing.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

New guns are always fun. You'll hear no naysaying from me.

Good luck in the new venture.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Rube Burrows wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:54 am New guns are always fun. You'll hear no naysaying from me.

Good luck in the new venture.
Plus one..... :mrgreen:

I too was wondering about the Patersons.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I understand the fun aspect of cowboy shooting. I did a couple of matches way back using stock handguns and rifles. I didn't own an appropriate shotgun at the time. You have two types of folks at the matches. Those out for playing dress up and having fun. And those that ruin it for the first bunch by using every loop hole/cheat to win. The second group usually ragged on the first.

That second group seems to think that a match is real life, as well. Heck the shoot out in High Noon was closer to real life than any of these matches.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Dang Griff, your shootin' sounds like me except I haven't been to a match in over 2 years what with having these new knees installed and the heart work necessary before they could do the knees. I don't have a lot of mods done on my guns and I really enjoy getting to use real Colts and now I have a Winchester 73 SRC that is pretty reliable so maybe I can stand up long enough shoot a couple or three stages. My situation is it's 90 miles to the range my club (ITSASS) uses. By the time I get there I'm pooped but I'm not ready to quit.
Checked my supplies and I only have 2 lbs of ffg left which means I need to order some. And I need to practice too. If for no other reason but be sure my equipment is all running right. You can't win a trophy if you have problems with either guns or ammo. I better go plug in that lead pot. I'm low on 44 bullets too.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS