Serrated Blades

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Serrated Blades

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Who uses one? I finally found a use for them. Cutting up old shotgun shells. Cutting cardboard and plastic signs. What was it originally designed and meant for? Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Serrated Blades

Post by GunnyMack »

I've used both over the years. No preference to either as far as an EDC. Back when Spyderco hit the market I worked in a sportshop and we sold them like hotcakes! Biggest issue is getting an edge on them. Thats why Spyderco made triangular crock stix. Still a few here but I carry a Ken Onion Kershaw now. I tried a Benchmade- biggest POJ with junk steel. Couldn't keep it sharp- tried every angle, sent it back too. Junk! Best day of my life when I lost it!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Hey Turtledude! As an individual who has carried a knife in his pocket since he was about 8, I'll be the first to say that if serrated blades came out first, the straight blade never would have been invented.

I must have carried every model of Leatherman knife and when it comes to about anything that needs to be cut, the serrated blade does it faster with more control that the straight knife...----006
Last edited by Sixgun on Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Ok thanks, but i generally like a knife for shaving bark off a sapling! Have Schrade SCH005DLB with both blades and finding I use the full serrated blade more than the straight edge blade.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I started carrying a serrated blade when I became a cop... was advised they were best for cutting seatbelts . And they work great for that. I generally carry a Kershaw Ken Onion. Nice and slim, fits the pocket well. Simply put, works better than most.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

kind of a throw back to the original knapped flint blade.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I hated serrated blades, and refused to own or carry one. Then my granddaughter started selling Cutco knives, and my wife bought a set for her kitchen. I was shocked what a quality serrated blade did, and asked her if they sold clip back lock blade pocket knives. She showed me a couple and I ordered the larger of the two. I absolutely love it, and have carried it the last couple years.
My only complaint was it was way too sharp when I first got it! If I even touched that blade to skin I had an instant deep cut! I probably cut myself 6 times in the first couple weeks I owned it! Then I became much more careful around it anytime it was open!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Twodot wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:23 pm kind of a throw back to the original knapped flint blade.
You Sir are a genius! Maybe thats why I always liked the looks of them..... and a reason to buy another one! Todd/3leg

Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

3leggedturtle wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:13 pm
Twodot wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:23 pm kind of a throw back to the original knapped flint blade.
You Sir are a genius! Maybe thats why I always liked the looks of them..... and a reason to buy another one! Todd/3leg
flattery will get you everywhere :oops:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Have both, both have their place. Currently carrying a gift Spyderco half and half. That is fine or a full straight edge. I have a Spyderco full serrated but wouldn't want it only.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Other than the saw teeth on the spine of the Aircrew Survival Knife the first serrated knife I owned was a Spyderco Worker. I think it was their first model. I found it at a country fair. The company was new and with the thumb hole turned out to be really on to something. So much so they've been copied by almost every manufacturer.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

My EDC clipped to left front pocket is a Kershaw half and half assisted opening and buried in right front pocket is a Victorinox Swiss champ.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I always had straight edges other than cheap kitchen knives until I bought a small Benchmade folder with the back third serrated. I like the option on a general purpose knife. Serrations are usually very sharp and are protected from normal carry wear. They are great for cutting fabric, strings, plastic and such since it grabs and stays sharp a long time. I still prefer straight blades for game and at least a straight tip for any fine cutting or shaving
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

First serrated edge for me was a Spydie Delica back almost 30 years ago. I carried it a little. I prefer straight edges. My current Spydie is a straight edge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Current carry Spyderco.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

The serrated blade on my old Leatherman sees a lot of use. Wish the CRKT clip-on I have was serrated as well.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

They are best for cutting rope, probably seat belts, and tomato's and bread..otherwise, no. 8)
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Really depends on whether the job you're doing calls for 'sawing' or ripping through something or slicing through it.

Sometimes it's tough to get a cut started with a straight blade and you've got to run the blade over it multiple times, like mentioned above for cutting rope. This is where the multiple blade surfaces of a serrated shines.

But there are times when you want a nice smooth cut, e.g., I might use a serrated blade to cut upward through or split hide, and then switch over to a solid edge for skinning.

:)
Last edited by FWiedner on Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

How many of you remember the original Police model from Spyderco. It had P I G for Pride Integrity & Guts on it. I never really used it and when my eldest became a cop I figured he should have it. Turns out he carries it daily.

Through the various stages of their lives I've either bought or passed on knifes to my kids. The hardest to give were the Mission Knives Ti models just before they deployed to Iraq.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad