Federal Hammer Down

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Federal Hammer Down

Post by Scrumbag »

Hi folks,

Anyone had a look at the new Federal Hammer Down ammo?

The 44 mag they advertise has some impressive ballistics:

270gr bullet
1715 fps MV
Gives - 1764 Ftlbs

That's quite impressive. According to Hodgdon there max velocity with a .44 mag rifle and a 270 gr bullet is 1638 fps

Be interested to know of any real world experience with it.

Scrummy
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Federal Hammer Down

Post by GunnyMack »

I dont think I'd want to shoot a whole box of those at one outing from a super Blackhawk! Bet those numbers from a long gun would be great for deer & pigs though.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Must be using a new powder.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:28 am I dont think I'd want to shoot a whole box of those at one outing from a super Blackhawk! Bet those numbers from a long gun would be great for deer & pigs though.
Yeah, it's built for lever actions
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

piller wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:15 am Must be using a new powder.
That would be my guess. Wonder what it is.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Those are impressive numbers if from a handgun. But I haven't bought over-the-counter ammo for a .44 Mag in 40 years.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

This should be no surprise as about fifteen years ago I was getting 1700+ from My Lyman/Keith 265grn hard cast in the .45 colt. (from a rifle) It was punching holes in 1/4" steel like paper..............................
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:28 am I dont think I'd want to shoot a whole box of those at one outing from a super Blackhawk! Bet those numbers from a long gun would be great for deer & pigs though.
Oh yeah! Probably make the wrist sting a bit.
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

.45colt wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:56 pm This should be no surprise as about fifteen years ago I was getting 1700+ from My Lyman/Keith 265grn hard cast in the .45 colt. (from a rifle) It was punching holes in 1/4" steel like paper..............................
Really? May I ask what load?
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Had to dig out my file cards. I was on a mission to get the most out of the .45 colt in a rifle, 24" barrel . 27 grains of 296 with Keith/Lyman 265 gr cast from wheel weights and water quenched. another card shows that I loaded Hornady 200 grain bullets over 28.9 gr of 296 for a five shot average of 1981 fps. I was following every thing I could find for the Colt in a rifle. most of this is in Pacos article "the .45 colt in a rifle" . not long after this a light went on in my head :shock: and I got a 45-70 . http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/ ... vergun.htm
DISCLAIMER ; WHILE THIS WORKED FOR ME IN A STRONG RIFLE I DO NOT RECCOMENED ANYONE ELSE TRY THESE LOADS . IF YOU DO IT'S AT YOUR OWN RISK .
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Used to know a dude who was several years older than me who went to the local landfill and shot his Ruger Super Blackhawks when he was off. Worked in the oilfield, so either lots of overtime or not much work. He liked 24 grains of 2400 with a 240 grain JHP. From what I remember, Hercules listed that as maximum then. Alliant lists it as maximum now. It had a pretty stout kick. This new load is getting more velocity. In my Ruger Carbine it might be a serious 100 yard sledgehammer, but in a handgun it is going to have some heavy recoil.
D. Brian Casady
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

Well, Federal have done a promo video:

https://youtu.be/hju8l0GV6O4
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I am curious about what their plans might be for more cartridges. I like the .35 Remington. That bullet in the video seems to retain its weight well, but there are many others which do just as well.

I have heard anecdotes about people shooting large hogs with .30-30 and the bullet not penetrating. I have never seen that to be the case. The hog in the video hit by the .30-30 went down right away. My concern with higher velocity in the .30-30 is with bullet stability. What velocity would be too much for the twist rate in the .30-30 to be effective?
D. Brian Casady