How is the 24" barrel on a Marlin 39a?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

How is the 24" barrel on a Marlin 39a?

Post by FLINT »

24" seems pretty long. How does it balance? is it awkward to carry around in the squirrel woods? Does it help with accuracy?

I'm thinking about getting a marlin 39a and am not sure if I should hold off for a 20" barrel or stick with the 24.

also, prices seem to be pretty high for these suckers!! they better be worth it!
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Re: How is the 24" barrel on a Marlin 39a?

Post by mickbr »

I dont own a marlin 39 but prefer 24" barrels where I can get them. Never had a problem carrying one( as long as it wasnt an abnormally heavy profile) or manouvering it for hunting.Its a pet gripe of mine that so many guns these days offer 16,18,20" options and the 24" has now become some sort of 'oddball option'. 24" was the all round go-to length once upon time.

As to accuracy, inherently , 24" will not shoot a bullet more accurately than any other length, however it can help with sighting, since you have more distance between the rear and front sights. 24" barrels make a lot less noise than 20" as well, not that it matters so much with 22LR.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Have one. Does seem a bit front heavy. Bought it as it was the last one from JM in the local shop.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I definitely prefer the 20" over 24" in the 39 and most other levers. I want to try a 16" 92 clone
campsalot
Levergunner

Post by campsalot »

I have a 39a with the 24" barrel and my daughter has one too. I like the 24" barrel. We've shot them a good bit at the range and hunted with them too.
The 39s do take down if you need to store or carry one in a smaller space.

The longer barrel also has the advantage that if one shoots standard velocity ammunition, or cb shorts or cci quiets they are very quiet. Since it's a lever one doesn't have to worry about the shorts or quiets cycling either. Oh, and the long magazine tube on the 24" version holds like half a box of shorts.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

I've got a '48 39a with Lyman peep sight and a '77 39a with a scope. The '48 has a tapered barrel that is just a tad lighter up front than the '77 with hardly any taper at all. With that being said, the '77 is the first firearm that I bought and have been shooting it since I first bought it. I've lost count of all the squirrels, rabbits and crows I've taken over the decades. It does take a bit getting used to, but holds steady when shooting off hand. The quiets and cb's are all I use these days, keeps from annoying the neighbors. The '77 39a is the first one I bought, and will be the last that I get rid of!!!! BTW, like Thomas Jefferson said, the use of arms is a great way to get excercise! HTH :mrgreen:
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Haven't got one now, but have owned several in the past. I much prefer the 24" barrel, and find the longer 24" barreled 39A's to hang and hold better than short barrels.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

I have no problem with the 24" bbl. Handles just fine to me.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Thanks guys! That's all the encouragement I needed.

If I get brave I'll pull the trigger on one soon!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Great guns but I feel they are way too long and ungainly; I almost got one with the intent of sawing it to 16” :shock: but they were ‘collectibles’ by then...

...so I bought a Ruger 96/22 and never looked back. Shorter lever throw, 10-round (or more) reliable detachable box magazine is easy to immediately unload (or replace) versus tubular, easy peep or scope or red dot mounting, longer or heavier or lighter or threaded barrel is an easy 5-minute swap-out, integrally-suppressed barrel available 8) and way easier to clean if you get out in muck or rain or sleet...

...but it doesn’t look ‘traditional’... :cry: :roll: Neither do I.... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

I prefer any length other than 20". 16, 18.5, 24"ers get my attention.