Short Magazine on 94 Black Shadow

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Short Magazine on 94 Black Shadow

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Ok...common jam on the Winchester 94. The dreaded under carrier jam. Usually not as frustrating as it used to be. Easiest way to unjam....take the plug out of the magazine, take the spring out and the plunger. Usually can use a bit of gravity and a small diameter wood dowel to guide the offending cartridges back into the magazine. But that is on a normal, run of the mill, Winchester 94

What about the short magazine Black Shadows and Timber Carbines? They do not seem to come apart the same way....any body have the proper disassembly of them?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Short Magazine on 94 Black Shadow

Guess nobody knows how to take these apart without bending the magazine?
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Have to bump this....still struggling to figure out how to take the tube magazine off of a short mag Black Shadow without scratching the heck out of it.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Not sure of the actual version the Black Shadow or Timber carbine, but... if it follows the general rule, then take the rear barrel band off, remove the mag tube cap and let the spring out... the follower should slide right out.

My 2008 parts book doesn't give a separate listing for the mag cap on the Black Shadow or the Timber carbine, but from your picture it appears that it has an integral sling stud, if so, that should unscrew to take out the plug, you'll also need to remove the rear barrel band, it's screw forms a barrier to keep the magazine in place. It might be a later feature added after the publication of my parts book.

Sorry, just saw the question... I don't get to read every topic before they disappear off my screen... :P :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Griff wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:30 pm Not sure of the actual version the Black Shadow or Timber carbine, but... if it follows the general rule, then take the rear barrel band off, remove the mag tube cap and let the spring out... the follower should slide right out.

My 2008 parts book doesn't give a separate listing for the mag cap on the Black Shadow or the Timber carbine, but from your picture it appears that it has an integral sling stud, if so, that should unscrew to take out the plug, you'll also need to remove the rear barrel band, it's screw forms a barrier to keep the magazine in place. It might be a later feature added after the publication of my parts book.

Sorry, just saw the question... I don't get to read every topic before they disappear off my screen... :P :D
Thanks Griff...it has been my problem too in that none of my manuals show a schematic specific to either the Timber Carbine or short Mag Black Shadow.

There appears to be a dove tail cut into the bottom of the barrel that positions a stud which runs through the magazine and the end cap of the magazine. Do not want to booger up the mag or bend it trying to drift the stud out of the dovetail.

But I am guessing as I do not know, nor can I see how it goes together. Trying to figure out a good field strip to fix an under carrier jam when in the field. Seems my grandson and son are good at jamming them up. Ever since they started using the XTP Hornady LeverEvolution ammo...both of their Black Shadow's are chambered for the .44 Mag...my .444 does not seem to have this issue.
https://www.levergunscommunity.org/down ... w&id=23385
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

In looking at your pictures, that sling stud mounts from the bottom of the magazine tube thru the end cap and screws into magazine spacer (as it's called in my 2005 parts book. dovetailed in the barrel. The last picture indicates that the bottom of the magazine tube is indented into the cap. IMO, it shouldn't be. Maybe someone put the mag cap in upside down and thus allowed the mag tube to deform. Have you removed the barrel band screw? Does the magazine turn (rotate) at all?

Here is what it looks like on the 2005 Timber Scout:
2006 Timber carbine.png
The 2006 Timber Carbine has a barrel band like yours. I just think your mag tube is deformed as in profile on your closeup picture there's a dimple on the bottom of it. There really shouldn't be. The magazine cap should just pull straight out (forward) from the tube once that sling stud/cap screw is removed.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Thanks Griff, will try and "jimmie" it out.
JED-IA
Levergunner

Post by JED-IA »

The under-the-carrier jam is easily cleared by unscrewing the action link screw, dropping the front of the link and removing the cartridge that's under the carrier. I had such a jam with my 44 Mag black shadow when I did not work the action crisply all the way forward and back when cycling the action. Could not get the jam to happen again as long as I completely stroked the lever in one smooth motion in each direction. The one time I had it happen I may have hesitated the lever movement. I do not need to work the lever hard--just smooth complete strokes. Hope this helps!