Marlin 1894 rear sight changes

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
b79holmes
Levergunner

Marlin 1894 rear sight changes

Post by b79holmes »

Hello,

I can't find the exact name but I replaced my existing rear sight on a Marlin 1894 with a type of ring.
It fits in the existing dovetail of the rear sight and adjusts the same as the original.
I am messing around with a cheap one as I am having bifocal issues. I don't want to invest too much unless I like the solution first.

So first off after working on sighting it in I 'realized' I have double rings as the front sight hood is also acting as a ring.
Would that hood normally be removed with this new sight set-up?

Second is it easy or common to replace the front post with something thicker?

I think I was making some mistakes with the two rings to begin with but may have to much metal in the way to really see the front sight.

I see the peep sights 'good enough' on a Garand and old Browning T2 so thought this setup would be better on the Marlin than the regular open sights.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Bill
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin 1894 rear sight changes

Post by fordwannabe »

Any chance it was a Skinner sight? Yes some people replace the front sight. You did not mention the age of your 1894 so how difficult that is will vary. Good luck with your project. You may want to look at Ashley sights for a front sight or skinner.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I use the Marble’s Bullseye rear replacement and take the hood off the front. Accurate and FAST, even with old eyes.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Leave the hood or remove it -- personal choice. Some folks like to leave it in place when they go to a peep sight. Me, I take 'em off even with the issue sights. Most folks find that when they put on a receiver sight they need a higher front sight because the receiver sight is higher than the standard sight; for a peep that replaces the original sight in the same dovetail it may not be necessary -- but be aware that it might be needed.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Never had very good results with a ring or peep at the rear if it was too far from my eyes. Back in tang position I love them.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
b79holmes
Levergunner

Post by b79holmes »

This sight is installed in the original barrel sight dovetail so yes it may prove to be too far forward but wasn't that expensive.
I bought it thinking it was an 'original' Marlin, pre-Remington and without any cross bolt type safety but can't find the serial number.
I don't think it was on the barrel (and now blocked by the new sight) but will check again.

It does look like I can just slide the front hood forward which should be easy enough.
My eyes were getting confused with two rings.

Bill