6.5 PRC

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

6.5 PRC

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’d been trying to keep from buying one of these to play with the cartridge a bit and today I finally caved . A feiend has one at the shop that was lightly used and he offered it to me at a lot less than he was asking as well as adding a box of ammo and a box of bras
D645215B-E453-4909-BC32-9BDB1EF5A971.jpeg
42467E1D-8B6F-4883-9634-BA40F8094688.jpeg
s . It has some Mickey Mouse “Stryka” scope on top but it’ll do well enough to kill a deer .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 6.5 PRC

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well with a 9x scope , Hornady factory hunting ammunition , a not very light trigger and the MTM rest I use for the AR’s this boat anchor put three in 3/4” at 100 yards . The trigger will get a massage tomorrow, does oughtta be here the middle of next week and the scope will be replaced by a Mickey Mouse Athlon 4-16x . I have a sneaking suspicion with handloads a lighter trigger and more magnification this thing might get close to 1/2 MOA . But that’s based on seven or eight shots and the accuracy others have claimed to be getting .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Just put the trigger gauge on the rifle . The trigger weight fluctuates between 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 pounds . About three times as heavy as I’d like .
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I was planning on buying a 6.5 PRC this year to play with and decided on the RUGER american. But I couldn't find one and then COVID hit so I don't plan a them making anymore anytime soon. So it went on the back burner till next year. But keep us posted on how this Savage shoots because that was my second choice and maybe the way that I go next year.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

sounds like a fun project. I had to look it up, fortunately the internet had several million explanations.

interesting how many variations of 6.5 there are. hope you get the half inch group.
DocRock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DocRock »

6.5 PRC, what the Creedmoor fanboys should have waited for. I'm not a "magic cartridge" sort of chap, but the 6.5 PRC is a genuinely innovative cartridge that delivers beyond the exceptionally little hype it's had. Great rifle and cartridge. Enjoy.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I put a Timney trigged in the gun and set it at 1.4 pounds also replaced the Stryka 3-9 with an Athlon 4-16AO . Loaded some with the Hornady 140 SST pushed with RL-25 and set off with Federal 215 primers . This was the first group with 58.5 grains .
ED08C462-0FE5-4B79-BDD1-AB5662C56FDF.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I think we have a winner! Just move the scope and call it good !!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:09 pm I think we have a winner! Just move the scope and call it good !!
I only tried 58.5 and 59.5 grains the extra grain opened it a bit but still less than 1/2” I think .
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That 58.5 grain group looks pretty decent. I really don't think any Whitetail deer will complain about it. A prairie dog at 300 yards might have a complaint.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That's a fine group with a very capable cartridge. Swap out that bullet for a Nosler Partition or a Barnes TSX and you have an elk rifle as well.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Got two boxes of Hornady 143 grain ELD-X bullets and loaded some with 58.5 and 59.5 of RL-25 . Hopefully I’ll see how they do before Monday .
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Look forward to your results, 6-pt. You have reawakened my interest in this cartridge. Hear very good things about the 156-grain Berger for elk, bear and such out of the PRC. The B.C. on it is .679!

https://bergerbullets.com/product/6-5-m ... te-hunter/
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

6pt-sika wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:05 pm I’d been trying to keep from buying one of these to play with the cartridge a bit and today I finally caved . A feiend has one at the shop that was lightly used and he offered it to me at a lot less than he was asking as well as adding a box of ammo and a box of bras
I just want to know what your plans are for a box of "bras"? ;)
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

marlinman93 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:48 pm
6pt-sika wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:05 pm I’d been trying to keep from buying one of these to play with the cartridge a bit and today I finally caved . A feiend has one at the shop that was lightly used and he offered it to me at a lot less than he was asking as well as adding a box of ammo and a box of bras
I just want to know what your plans are for a box of "bras"? ;)
:roll:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I went to the range TWICE today ! Took the PRC and my 6.5 Sherman Short Mag . Shooting the Hornady 143 gr ELD-X in both . Max with RL-25 is 59.5 for the PRC but the Sherman seems okay with 65 grains and most likely will hold 66 . The PRC is set with the Hornady 140 SST and the 143 ELD-X pushed by 58.5 hrs RL-25 . The Sherman needs a bit more fine tuning but will go with 64 grains of RL-25 and the 143 ELD-X .
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I just treated myself to a very similar rifle, CZ 527 Carbine in 7.62x39. Over the weekend I put on Millet rings and a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24 scope. Sunday PM a measly shipment of Tulammo and Wolf softpoint ammo showed up via Fedex, and yesterday early I went out to the range to sight her in. I am ecstatic at the groups this rifle shoots with the absolute cheapest of cheapo ammo! Both loads grouped 3 shots in to a single large hole at 50 yards, and made 3-shot groups of just under an inch at 100 yards. The trigger helps a bunch -- it's a single-set unit that is dead on 3 lbs. unset and 18 oz. when set. This PM I will take it afield for the first time, and the abbreviated length and weight will be a pleasure to tote up the oak ridge I'll be hunting, deer or no deer!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Pisgah wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:41 pm I just treated myself to a very similar rifle, CZ 527 Carbine in 7.62x39. Over the weekend I put on Millet rings and a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24 scope. Sunday PM a measly shipment of Tulammo and Wolf softpoint ammo showed up via Fedex, and yesterday early I went out to the range to sight her in. I am ecstatic at the groups this rifle shoots with the absolute cheapest of cheapo ammo! Both loads grouped 3 shots in to a single large hole at 50 yards, and made 3-shot groups of just under an inch at 100 yards. The trigger helps a bunch -- it's a single-set unit that is dead on 3 lbs. unset and 18 oz. when set. This PM I will take it afield for the first time, and the abbreviated length and weight will be a pleasure to tote up the oak ridge I'll be hunting, deer or no deer!
I suspect you paid more for that 527 than I did for the Savage ! I’ve got a pair of 527 HB’s in 222 and Grendel . The set trigger worked pretty well but when I got it as low as I wanted the sear would drop so I put RifleBasix non set in and both triggers are at 10-12 ounces .
Snipe10
Levergunner

Post by Snipe10 »

I don't post much but as a life long hunter and collector, I jumped all over the 6.5 PRC. I went straight to GA Precision as George developed the round in 2017. Big problem right now is finding the ammo. It seems the Hornady 143 ELD-X hunting ammo is harder to find than the 147 Match ammo. Should be the other way around with a lot of the PRS guys using the cartridge. Anyhow, great round, I also have two 300 PRC's being built now as well. First "new" cartridge I've been excited about in a long time. Full disclosure, I did have a 6.5 cm early on, also from GA Precision that took a few elk before I sold it to go back to my 280 Remington.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Snipe10 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:02 am I don't post much but as a life long hunter and collector, I jumped all over the 6.5 PRC. I went straight to GA Precision as George developed the round in 2017. Big problem right now is finding the ammo. It seems the Hornady 143 ELD-X hunting ammo is harder to find than the 147 Match ammo. Should be the other way around with a lot of the PRS guys using the cartridge. Anyhow, great round, I also have two 300 PRC's being built now as well. First "new" cartridge I've been excited about in a long time. Full disclosure, I did have a 6.5 cm early on, also from GA Precision that took a few elk before I sold it to go back to my 280 Remington.
I initially wanted a PRC in an AR-10 and they kinda led one initially to believe it would work . After that I ran across a bag of new 6.5 Sherman Short Mag brass which led to me building one and it has a skoosh more uhmph than the PRC . I ended up with this Savage PRC because I got into it CHEAP and like fooling with most any 6.5 cartridge . Well with the possible exception of the Creedmoor and to be honest I have nothing against the cartridge itself but rather some of its followers that come in the shop. They think it’s a Gamma Death Ray or something but in reality it does NOTHING in practical application that the 260 REM’s been doing for thirty years already and I AM a 260 advocate . But I digress , back to the PRC . I have my eye on a NIB Montana Rifle Works walnut stocked PRC that may take the place of the Savage .
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Sportsmans warehouse had some great prices on a Montana bolt gun in this caliber recently.
I was loitering in a local gun shop earlier this week and spotted a 1917 Winchester rebarrelled to 6.5-06. I don't dare go back for a closer examination.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

6pt-sika wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:05 pm as well as adding a box of ammo and a box of bras
What are all you guys doing with all these "bras" you buy? For the wife? ;)
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Is this catridge made from the RCM case? I have a 338 RCM. Basically a short action 338-06 with expensive brass and ammo lol. Pretty cool handy little rifle though
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

44shooter wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:36 pm Is this catridge made from the RCM case? I have a 338 RCM. Basically a short action 338-06 with expensive brass and ammo lol. Pretty cool handy little rifle though
I always wanted to try a 338 RCM when I was really into short Mags . I had both the REM SAUM’s right off the bat and tried all the WSM cartridges except the 7mm . I also had thoughts of a 338-06 as I’ve had 6.5-06’s for a number of years . Oh yeah it’s my understanding the PRC is a derivative of the RCM case and the 6.5 Sherman Short is a derivative of the SAUM case .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:56 am Sportsmans warehouse had some great prices on a Montana bolt gun in this caliber recently.
I was loitering in a local gun shop earlier this week and spotted a 1917 Winchester rebarrelled to 6.5-06. I don't dare go back for a closer examination.
If it were built on a 98 or 70 or 700 action I’d suggest you go jump on it . But a 1917 is an awful big honkin action for a spotter weight Rifle .