Acquired a free shotgun.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Acquired a free shotgun.

Post by gamekeeper »

My local dealer e-mailed asking if I was interested in a Zabala side by side .410 for £75.00 he said it's a bit rusty but clean bores and tight. When I got there he said I could have it for nothing as he had sold an old gun I had forgotten about. Well he was not lying about the rust and the stock looks like it's been used for a cricket bat but I've just tried it out back home and it hits where I point, so with a complete refinish it should make a good little Squirrel gun... :D
IMG_20201007_160852.jpg
Click to enlarge photo..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Acquired a free shotgun.

Post by piller »

Your insects must be tough over there. We can usually just step on our crickets over here. We don't need to hit them with a slab of wood.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Whats it weigh? Looks like a nice project you can't hurt too much.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

You call that "bad condition"? Looks like nothing more than a steel wool soaked with #9 and a little stock finish will bring that baby up to new..... :D

.410 doubles bring more money here than 12 gauges.

OK, ready GK?.....can I have it?
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Six the answer is no and it looks better in the photo than it is but still easily doable.
3leggedturtal I haven't weighed it but I'd guess 6 .5 pounds but it feels lighter, both chokes modified 26" barrels non ejector.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Nice to see chokes other than full in a 410!
The little CZ 410 I have is right at 5 lbs and its a joy to carry as the girls are working.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:16 pm You call that "bad condition"? Looks like nothing more than a steel wool soaked with #9 and a little stock finish will bring that baby up to new..... :D

OK, ready GK?.....can I have it?
I can second that ! I can’t count on my fingers and toes the number of guns I’ve owned over the years that looked terrible , then 000 wool with Hoppes cleaned up the metal without scratching the bluing . Then Hoppes on a rag over the wood , a blow dryer then 3 or 4 coats of Bowling Alley Wax and they looked very presentable if not nice .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Chokes don’t bother me as much as they used to . I used to be adamant about more open for upland birds and skeet blah blah blah . Now the guns I pick up most often for birds sporting etc are M&F or F&F . My number one Parker 12 is 30” F&F , number one Parker 16 is 30” F&F , number one Parker 20 is 28” M&F and my only Parker 28 is 26” F&F . I shoot those guns at everything skeet etc and any target I miss is not the blame of the gun .
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Just checked the date of manufacture 1978. It looks like the former abuser only used 2.5" shells in the 3" chambers, I can see what appears to be light pitting and 3" shells stick in the left chamber. So I will have to polish the chambers, any suggestions ?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

A wooden dowel, hacksaw( thin kerf) a slot down the length about an inch( 2.54 cm) then use fine grit emery paper and spin the other end.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

To remove the stuck on powder ring, put a bronze bore brush on only 1 section of cleaning rod, chuck it into a drill, dip the brush into some hoppes or similar solvent, start the drill and spin the brush as you only go in as deep as the chamber. Just about 30 seconds to a minute should be enough. British seconds and American seconds are the same. :lol:
D. Brian Casady
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

piller wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:44 pm To remove the stuck on powder ring, put a bronze bore brush on only 1 section of cleaning rod, chuck it into a drill, dip the brush into some hoppes or similar solvent, start the drill and spin the brush as you only go in as deep as the chamber. Just about 30 seconds to a minute should be enough. British seconds and American seconds are the same. :lol:
Yeah a brush chucked in a drill is my prescription as well . I had a set of Krieghoff K-32 trap barrels that were chrome plated on the inside but they had slight rust spots I assume from chrome flaking off . An threaded aluminum rod with a 10 gauge brush chucked in a drill fixed that issue in about twenty minutes .
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

British seconds and American seconds are the same
BEST laugh of the week so far . . .
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Nice find John.
Use wire wool in the chambers spun by a drill. Bronze brushes are recommended by anxious people.

I got a new zabala box lock ejector 3" high pressure steel recently too 👍.
IMG_20200829_185246020.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That's a much nicer Zabala than mine ever was or ever will be but I can't help noticing one of your triggers has fallen off.... :wink:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

GK, it is because of those great big shells he is using. That extra size caused the problem.
D. Brian Casady
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

WOW! Zabala? that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. I had a guy give me one of those back in the 70s to settle a debt. Made in Spain IIRC. Mine developed a problem. If you pulled the wrong trigger first, both barrels went off. That wasn't fun. I never did find a gunsmith that could fix it. Ended up trading it off for something else.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

gamekeeper wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:06 pm That's a much nicer Zabala than mine ever was or ever will be but I can't help noticing one of your triggers has fallen off.... :wink:
That's the only issue, single selective trigger.....utter nonsense!
Rusty wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:48 pm WOW! Zabala? that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. I had a guy give me one of those back in the 70s to settle a debt. Made in Spain IIRC. Mine developed a problem. If you pulled the wrong trigger first, both barrels went off. That wasn't fun. I never did find a gunsmith that could fix it. Ended up trading it off for something else.
Ahh, that had the special bear attack feature👍
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Looking forward to the "after" pictures! :D
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:58 pm Looking forward to the "after" pictures! :D
Yeah, me too.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

So am I. Eager to see you put that little .410 to use, John.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Well it took 50 & 120 grit paper and a lot of steel wool to get rid of the worst pitting on the outside of the barrels, the stock varnish was pretty thick as there are a few natural blemishes in the wood.
I should have spent a lot more time on both wood and metal but was eager to get it out shooting. The internals were free of rust and it doesn't appear to have had a lot of use, I also found a set of sling swivels that were missing when I got it.. I put 4 rounds through it Sunday evening to make sure it was okay, and took it out today to hopefully blood it but no luck, all I saw was a bunch of crows mobbing a Sparrow Hawk and they never came close enough for a .410. I may reblue it again as I only used Birchwood Casey super blue and the stock could use a couple more coats of Walnut oil.
Sorry the picture is not the best, I took it while looking for Squirrels.
IMG_20201026_153239.jpg
Click on the photo to enlarge.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Big change John! :D
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Would like some mire close ups of the 410 and the tree.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!