He growed him a dang melon ...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

He growed him a dang melon ...

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Last summer I stopped at a roadside stand with a crudely lettered sign that read "Sweet Texas watermelons" and bought a Texas yellow, upon friends' recommendations. It was great, and I tossed some leavings in the raised bed and thought no more about it. This past June, I noticed a single melon-like sprout in the bed and decided to let it grow to see what it might be. Well it was sure enough a watermelon and the vine gave this one big fruit. Picked, washed and chilled it a couple of days ago, and cracked it open last night. Turned out to be 20 pounds of wonderfully ripe Texas yellow. Man, what a great flavor. I may never grow a watermelon again and just let this be my one crowning success as a melon farmer!

Imagefullsizeoutput_1621 by ComeWatson, on Flickr

Imagefullsizeoutput_1622 by ComeWatson, on Flickr
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Re: He growed him a dang melon ...

Post by earlmck »

Dang fine job of it, Bill. Now you have it figured out you should do some more next year.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Some of our best melons and cantaloupe have been compost-pile sprouts - because they get lots of nutrition and the heat of the compost pile gets them sprouting early in the spring so they have time to grow.

Never heard of a yellow melon though.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Yellow are pretty easy to find at Farmer's Markets. Sweeter than most red ones.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Dang, my mouth was watering just reading this.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

At some point I dried and put up some watermelon seeds, I found them about early July. Figured what the heck and planted them around the yard. Within minutes the chipmunks found them and ate all but 4. All sprouted, 2 were too shaded and soon died off. The other 2 grew well but one went into the lawn and I mowed it over. The last one just flowered last week and has 3 more flowers . I don't think I'm gonna get any melons...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!