My Frankenstein Hepburn

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

My Frankenstein Hepburn

Post by marlinman93 »

This is a rifle I built about 20 years ago. It came to me as a receiver, two blanks of nice high grade walnut, and a .457" full octagon barrel. I had a friend fit the barrel to the receiver, and cut it to 30". Then I pulled it apart and polished out barrel and receiver. Sent wood to Crossno's Gun Shop and Dave cut it to a silhouette pattern with a Sharps buttplate inletting. I final fitted and shaped the wood, and put 16 coats of Wipe On Poly on it. Sent barrel and receiver to Dale Woody for engraving, color case, and rust blue.

This video was done by my friend Mo at a shoot this weekend. 650 yds. dinger with the .45-70, 480 grain bullet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyhm21Q ... hLongshots
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: My Frankenstein Hepburn

Post by gamekeeper »

Great video of not only a beautiful rifle but a wonderful rifle, all I can say is WOW !..... :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Vall, that's just an awesome video. Nothing as sweet as the "ding" note floating back to us after we let a case full of black send those big lead slugs on their way, eh? Dave Gullo of Buffalo Arms is another big fan of the Hepburn.
Where exactly was this taken?
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:33 am Vall, that's just an awesome video. Nothing as sweet as the "ding" note floating back to us after we let a case full of black send those big lead slugs on their way, eh? Dave Gullo of Buffalo Arms is another big fan of the Hepburn.
Where exactly was this taken?
This was taken in North Central Washington at a friend's place. No black powder was harmed during my shooting! ;) All but one shooter were shooting smokeless. One of my friends is a BP shooter, and one of the best in the country. He was there shooting his Shiloh Sharps '74 with BP. He'd just come from the match at Byers, Co. and placed (I think) 6th out of 35 shooters at the BPTR match there. He let me shoot his Shiloh at the 1000 yd. dinger, and with his DZ 8x scoped rifle it was easier to get consistent hits on the 1000 dinger. I believe the dinger at 1000 yds. is 42" diameter?
Your friend who bought your Ballard was there, but didn't bring it. He was shooting his C. Sharps '74 in .40-65 there.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Even without the cloud from the friendly smoke, the old cartridges are still a lot of fun to shoot. Nice looking rifle.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Sweet! Looks like a good day.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

It was a nice 3 days plus. But I wish it could have been the usual 7-9 days we usually do. This covid stuff is ruining everything!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ok now I want a Hepburn!! That is a beautiful rifle!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Beautiful rifle! I got to shoot a Hepburn when I was about 15, been keenly interested in them ever since.

Eric
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

People either love or hate Hepburns. I never understood those who hated the design, or the look? I was immediately infatuated by Louis Hepburn's design. It's said Hepburn designed this model for Remington as a specific target rifle for competitive shooting. As a long-range competitor and member of the US Creedmoor team, he put features into the design that would make them the perfect competition rifle. Of course Remington had other ideas, and made all sorts of versions including schuetzen, and military versions. If I liked military guns I'd have to find a military version. But thankfully I don't as they're huge money when found!
I've got a Match B model, and a couple mid-range, and hunter's models. My favorite is still this built up one, with my Match B a close second.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Now that is one sweet rifle Val! You need to stuff some black in that old babe and bring her over to the COSSA range east of Bend. We shoot 'em every fourth Saturday, April to October from 300 to 1000 yards. The Washington shooters have kinda' been kickin' our butts so we could really use another good Oregon shooter.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Thank You for taking Us along...... :D . Great Rifle.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

earlmck wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:30 am Now that is one sweet rifle Val! You need to stuff some black in that old babe and bring her over to the COSSA range east of Bend. We shoot 'em every fourth Saturday, April to October from 300 to 1000 yards. The Washington shooters have kinda' been kickin' our butts so we could really use another good Oregon shooter.
A cloud of friendly smoke and a ding from 300 yards or more! Sounds fun.
D. Brian Casady
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

earlmck wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:30 am Now that is one sweet rifle Val! You need to stuff some black in that old babe and bring her over to the COSSA range east of Bend. We shoot 'em every fourth Saturday, April to October from 300 to 1000 yards. The Washington shooters have kinda' been kickin' our butts so we could really use another good Oregon shooter.
Thanks Earl! I've not shot at BPCR at my local range simply because I don't shoot BP. I was told by a friend I could come shoot, but can't win regardless of my scores if I use smokeless. That's fine with me, as trophies or pins don't mean much to me. But I didn't want to intrude and use smokeless when everyone else is following the rules.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

By the way. This also happened to be the first long trip with my old '39 Chev coupe too! 1200 mile round trip with 1,000 miles on the build since I got it road worthy. The well built 350 Chevy engine and 700R4 overdrive trans worked well. With 3.73 posi rear axle it averaged 17-19 mpg, even with some fairly good mountain climbs here and there along the way.
I did a little detour over farther East to drive by and visit Grande Coulee Dam, just because I'd never been there, and was enjoying the drive through the Okanoggans. Lot of sagebrush and rocky cliffs over there, but a different kind of beauty!

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey thats a good break in trip for the 39! Car looks great!
Ok time to look for a Hepburn on the auction sites!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:30 pm Hey thats a good break in trip for the 39! Car looks great!
Ok time to look for a Hepburn on the auction sites!!
Thanks Gunny! I built the '39 just for driving on some lengthy trips. Never expected to do any this year as it only had 1,000 miles on it when I left, and I wasn't sure I was ready. But the trip came off, and I figured why not. The '39 has plenty of HP, but with the overdrive transmission I put into the build, it still averaged 17-19 mpg on the trip, so I was pleased with the economy for an old hotrod.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

17 to 19 mpg with that setup is not too bad. That 350 should have enough power to put plenty of power and torque out through the 3.73 rear end. Unless you are looking for neck snapping hole shots or crawling over stumps, I cannot see the need for 4.11 gears. Of course, I am not an expert on cars. My opinion on that setup is worth what you paid for it.
D. Brian Casady
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

MarlinMan you did a nice restore. My hat’s off to you and your gunsmiths who did the work.

For those desiring a Hepburn, replicas are available from C. Sharps Arms and DZ Arms, and a machined or a non-machined kit from Upper Missouri Trading Company. See:

http://csharpsarms.com/catalog-detail.php?product_id=40
https://www.dzhepburn.com/no-3-hepburn-target-rifle/
http://uppermotradingco.com/

C. Sharps and DZ Arms are about US$ 3200.00 for the basic rifle. Quality and repeatable sights, like MVA, will increase the “freight.” https://montanavintagearms.com/
Maybe for my 75th birthday in 2021?....

Have no idea what a good original would cost these days as I have not seen one for sale in a while.

MarlinMan, once again, nice restore.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

marlinman93 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:04 pm
Thanks Earl! I've not shot at BPCR at my local range simply because I don't shoot BP. I was told by a friend I could come shoot, but can't win regardless of my scores if I use smokeless. That's fine with me, as trophies or pins don't mean much to me. But I didn't want to intrude and use smokeless when everyone else is following the rules.
We are an easy going bunch and what we do is kinda' BPCR but not NRA sanctioned BPCR (steel buffalo silhouettes rather than the standard targets) . Anybody shooting a Hepburn would be welcome no matter the color of his powder: we'd probably just give you your own category and you'd be sure to win it! But another good option would be to load some shootin' irons into the coupe and bip on over the mountain on a weekday. I'll round up another shooter or two and we can just go have some fun. There are four of us locals who try to get together occasionally and just get some practicing in (some of us are a long way from being competitive and need the extra trigger time). We also like to shoot large lever guns, trapdoors, and military bolts to 500 yards and my favorite is the pistol caliber levers out to 200 yards. During the week we normally have the buffalo range all to our selves. Mighty fine! And we shoot everything from seated position with shooting sticks like in your video.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Vall, I bet you sure turned some heads with your '39 up that way. I haven't been to Grand Coulee Dam since about 1956, when I was 3! I vaguely recall a bust of FDR in a pool of water.
Y'all ought to take Earl up on his offer. I would if I weren't 1,400 miles away. I had a lot of fun baking away at those COSSA gongs with an M1884 Trapdoor.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:11 am Vall, I bet you sure turned some heads with your '39 up that way. I haven't been to Grand Coulee Dam since about 1956, when I was 3! I vaguely recall a bust of FDR in a pool of water.
Y'all ought to take Earl up on his offer. I would if I weren't 1,400 miles away. I had a lot of fun baking away at those COSSA gongs with an M1884 Trapdoor.
I was the only car there at Grande Coulee! Maybe because it was Thursday in October? But I was surprised that not a single visitor was there at around 2:00 p.m. that day.
Almost every time I stopped for gas I got into conversations with people. Mostly gray haired guys like me who wanted to know about the '39, or had a story of a old car they owned. I stopped at a rest area near Omak, Wa. and a guy and his wife were sitting in a '50 Chevy 4 dr. sedan. It looked 100% stock, and I walked over to see it and talk. He told me the previous owner had restored it several decades ago, and he'd tried to buy it ever since. The guy finally gave in and sold it to him. It had just enough age on it to make it not look restored, which I thought was neat.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

earlmck wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:19 am

We are an easy going bunch and what we do is kinda' BPCR but not NRA sanctioned BPCR (steel buffalo silhouettes rather than the standard targets) . Anybody shooting a Hepburn would be welcome no matter the color of his powder: we'd probably just give you your own category and you'd be sure to win it! But another good option would be to load some shootin' irons into the coupe and bip on over the mountain on a weekday. I'll round up another shooter or two and we can just go have some fun. There are four of us locals who try to get together occasionally and just get some practicing in (some of us are a long way from being competitive and need the extra trigger time). We also like to shoot large lever guns, trapdoors, and military bolts to 500 yards and my favorite is the pistol caliber levers out to 200 yards. During the week we normally have the buffalo range all to our selves. Mighty fine! And we shoot everything from seated position with shooting sticks like in your video.
If this is the range at Millican, I've been there long ago. Back in the 1990's I was doing a job for BPA and passed the range one evening on the way back to town. I swung in and visited with some guys who were shooting their BPCR rifles, but not knowing the range existed I hadn't brought an old rifle with me on the business trip. So I just watched, and then headed back to Bend where we were staying.
If I recall correctly, the BPA site was "Pine Mountain"?
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

marlinman93 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:54 am
If this is the range at Millican, I've been there long ago. Back in the 1990's I was doing a job for BPA and passed the range one evening on the way back to town. I swung in and visited with some guys who were shooting their BPCR rifles, but not knowing the range existed I hadn't brought an old rifle with me on the business trip. So I just watched, and then headed back to Bend where we were staying.
If I recall correctly, the BPA site was "Pine Mountain"?
Yes, that's the place. It has changed a bit since the 90's -- more separate places to shoot and more gongs to shoot at. And us buffalo shooters call ourselves "Pine Mountain Riflemen". Flat-iron steak our signature dish.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Earl, the flat iron steak must be a new addition. I approve!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The BPA site I worked on was at the top of Pine Mountain, and we thought late June was safe to do the site. We arrived there Monday morning, and began work in jeans and a T shirt. Around 1:30 pm the temps began to drop like a rock, and I threw on my Carhardts and we decided to bail out! We quickly tarped all our tools and materials, and drove down Pine Mountain with snow falling heavily!
The next morning we chained up to get to the site and fought our way to the top. Dug out about 16" of snow to find tools and materials, and bundled up to work. By noon we were back in T shirts, and 75 degrees! It stayed nice the rest the week! Crazy weather!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:06 am Earl, the flat iron steak must be a new addition. I approve!
That's about the only cut we get when we butcher out one of these 3/8" thick steel buffalo, Bill.
marlinman93 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:28 am The BPA site I worked on was at the top of Pine Mountain, and we thought late June was safe to do the site. We arrived there Monday morning, and began work in jeans and a T shirt. Around 1:30 pm the temps began to drop like a rock, and I threw on my Carhardts and we decided to bail out! We quickly tarped all our tools and materials, and drove down Pine Mountain with snow falling heavily!
The next morning we chained up to get to the site and fought our way to the top. Dug out about 16" of snow to find tools and materials, and bundled up to work. By noon we were back in T shirts, and 75 degrees! It stayed nice the rest the week! Crazy weather!
Yes, that's the Central Oregon we know and love. Usually watching the fireworks on 4th of July is a shirtsleeve affair but about once a decade we get downright cold and occasionally snow for the 4th. And Pine Mountain gets up over 6000' so would get snow when the rest of us get a little rain.

Friend Butch and I were out at the COSSA range yesterday shooting 38/55 and 45/70 at those iron buffs. Perfect 68 to 70 degree temps with no wind until afternoon. Just enough smoke haze from those wildfires (don't know if it was California stuff or Oregon stuff) to make the longer distance ones a little fuzzy. And only had to share the range with one fellow who was putting up metal siding on the firing-line cover building. Fine day at the range and I think we learned a little more about burning the black stuff, at which we are both rank beginners. What we seem to have learned is that at somewhere around 20 to 25 shots our Pedersoli rifles started shooting like poop and had to be cleaned to restore accuracy. And for sure the first shot after cleaning goes considerably higher than the subsequent shots fired after that fouling first shot. Now we had been told those things but didn't know those things until we actually experienced them. Which we did yesterday.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

My friend shoots a lot of BPCR and BPTR, and cleans after each shot. From what I've seen watching him consistently hit at 1,000 yds. he's got it figured out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysyE0BI ... hLongshots
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

marlinman93 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:33 am My friend shoots a lot of BPCR and BPTR, and cleans after each shot. From what I've seen watching him consistently hit at 1,000 yds. he's got it figured out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysyE0BI ... hLongshots
Our best shooters (the folks from Washington who consistently whip us) use exactly the same strategy of wiping after every shot. Must be something to it when you are shooting the charcoal. He was sure dinging that target very regularly! But we also have some other people among the top shooters who use a blow tube rather than wipe between shots but also clean after each 12 to 20 shots (depending on the stage being shot).

It was interesting to read the comments following the video. Sure a bunch of folks who couldn't stand that the scope slides in the mounts. My most accurate cast-bullet shooter is a 22 hornet with an ancient Lyman 10x scope that looks just like that and slides every shot (not quite that much with a hornet :D ). These youngsters just don't understand and appreciate the old technologies.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I think a lot of folks not familiar with external adjustment scopes don't understand it needs to slide or the crosshairs would break from recoil! It's a minor thing to remember to slide it back after each shot, and just something you get used to. I've got a 7 or 8 old schuetzen rifles with external adjust scopes, and never forget to pull them back between shots.

Here's another video from the same shoot. Shooting my original Ballard Pacific in .40-85 Ballard, at 650 yds. I'm fumbling with brass as I load because I fire form 9.3x74R brass to make my .40-85 B. and the rims are slightly smaller. I have to keep the extractor behind the rim until the cartridge is almost chambered, so a little tricky to load.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJGl...brushLongshots
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If I did not know about them, seeing that scope move after a shot would certainly cause me to start trying to fix something that is not broken.
D. Brian Casady
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

piller wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:16 pm If I did not know about them, seeing that scope move after a shot would certainly cause me to start trying to fix something that is not broken.
Yes, it's surprising to me how many folks comment about the scope moving. Most don't realize if t didn't move the crosshairs wouldn't last long!